Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #51
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: bokken strike style

I resisted the urge to post in the fall because Keith said everything I would have; I figured he could catch hell for me.

Some day, aikido people who use weapons will be called to answer for their skill. When that day comes, I think it valuable to be prepared to answer for what you do and why you do it. The problem is when you change your answer, depending to whom you are answering. If you tell that doe-eyed newbie tales of yore about aikido's history on the battlefield and the prominent role of weapons in aikido, you should expect to spin the same yarn for the koryu guy you bump into at a seminar. Uh oh.

I love ASU weapons. I will continue to work on my weapons because I feel they have educational value for bodywork, they represent an introduction to weapons, they provide a foundation for instruction and they preserve the culture of aiki. I circle those elements and seek to match my weapons to those expectations. Right, wrong, or ugly. Variety is not necessarily the problem; in fact, cutting variety is often part of a larger curriculum. Rather, I would look at the reasoning behind the sword strike more.

I have heard a variety of reasons for a variety of weapons work in aikido. I am not sure any of them are 100% correct (including mine). I think ultimately, the question is are you prepared for the reckoning? When hoards of koryu people swarm the lands and ask simple questions like, "you don't even know where is the center line, how can your sword be on it?" Or, "why do your rotate your hips?"

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Last edited by jonreading : 06-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Jon Reading
Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #52
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Please not the hoards. I beg you.

Context and delusion.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #53
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Yes and no. The first factor is the school's philosophy of combat...
Y'know, the rest of us just keep rabbiting on about this and that and pretending to know what we're talking about and every now and then someone comes along and unloads a whole freightload of actual information on us and it just seems to me (and Green Flash Brewing) that some acknowledgement and appreciation of your contribution would be appropriate. So thanks for this. I'm sorry to understand from your last paragraph the the illegitimati are carborundumizing your ass, but I suggest you ignore them.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #54
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia

I noticed the differences in cutting 'types/styles' in practicing and just observing various gendai arts that use swords. Each has their own reasons for them and I just accept those at face value as I have no basis for an educated judgement one way or the other.

I am interested in learning a lot more about sword work for actual combat for various applications and through that learning... come to understand the clear difference between 'systems for :stuff: other than actual sword word (using a bokken or iaito to develop body skills) and systems for combat. I really enjoyed Keith's detailed posts about the various reasons and would like to subscribe to his newsletter. Is there a newsletter? Well, I will go back to using the search button on this forum to see what I can find.

I am currently practicing the Iwama system for body skills along with its weapons. My teachers, every single one of them all the way up to our Shihan who studied with Saito Sensei, are all very clear on 'this is not an actual weapon system and we use it as a tool teach body skills, distance, timing, etc...' So no illusions there. This is especially clear with 'sword taking techniques'.. no one even jokes about 'you may get lucky and pull this off with a real sword wielding expert...', just no. Once again, only training how to move, judge distance and timing.

Just curious to see real sword work and have someone kind enough to break it down for me when some things are not so obvious.

Last edited by Stephen Nichol : 06-10-2014 at 12:16 AM.