Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Toby Threadgill at Aikido of Northern Virginia

Greetings All,

Aikido of Northern Virginia will host a seminar with Toby Threadgill-sensei November 13 - 15, 2008. There will be four classes:
Thursday: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Friday: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 11:30 am; 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
The cost of the seminar is $150 for the entire seminar or $50 per class.

The subject of the workshop will be the definition and development of aiki from the perspective of a classical Japanese martial art, and integrating that understanding into aikido. Although the workshop will focus primarily on empty-hand technique, weapons may be used.

Toby Threadgill-sensei began training under Takamura Yukiyoshi, headmaster of Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu (TSYR), in 1985. In 1992 he founded the Soryushin Dojo and in 1994 was appointed a branch director of the Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Kai. In 1999, he was one of three people to be awarded a menkyo kaiden (teaching license) in Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu. Following the passing of Takamura Yukiyoshi in 2000, he was asked by the other TSYR branch directors to accept the position of administrative head (kaicho) of the Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Kai. He currently oversees instruction at the Shindo Yoshin Kai Hombu Dojo in Evergreen, Colorado, and maintains a busy international teaching schedule. There is more information on this classical system at the Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Kai web site (http://www.shinyokai.com/home.htm) and there is a very good interview with Threadgill-sensei available at Aikido Journal at http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ght=threadgill.

Registration, including payment in full, is due no later than November 1. Attendance is limited to 40 participants. There will be no registration at the door. A flyer, registration form, and waiver are at http://www.aikido-nova.org/Threadgill2008a.pdf.

See you on the mat!

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Toby Threadgill at Aikido of Northern Virginia

If you haven't had the pleasure of training with Toby in the past, please do yourself a favor and get to this seminar. Toby is both a clear and generous teacher not to mention an outstanding technician. My own (sword) teacher commented a few times after watching him instruct at how well he was able to target information to the various skill levels across the mat. He also tells some VERY entertaining stories, be sure to ask him about the guy and his girlfriend who came into the martial arts store to buy a 'replacement' black belt. I nearly cried...

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

Oh yes, be there or regret it.
Always instructional and inspirational.
Trained with him many times. Always worth it.
Highly recommend.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Jim Sorrentino

Greetings All,

This is a reminder that there are still spaces available in this seminar. Registration, including payment in full, is due no later than November 1. Attendance is limited to 40 participants. There will be no registration at the door. A flyer, registration form, and waiver are at http://www.aikido-nova.org/Threadgill2008a.pdf.

See you on the mat!

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
Greetings All,

This is a reminder that there are still spaces available in this seminar. Registration, including payment in full, is due no later than November 1. Attendance is limited to 40 participants. There will be no registration at the door. A flyer, registration form, and waiver are at http://www.aikido-nova.org/Threadgill2008a.pdf.

See you on the mat!

Sincerely,

Jim
Hi Jimmy,
Have a great time with Toby... He came to our place and did an absolutely awesome seminar on the relation between sword and empty hand. Folks should not miss this!!!!
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Stephen Kotev
United_States

Looking forward to it.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Jim Sorrentino

Going, going...

Greetings All,

There are EIGHT spaces left in this seminar. The deadline for registration is Saturday, November 1. If you're interested, please see the flyer, registration form, and waiver at http://www.aikido-nova.org/Threadgill2008a.pdf.

See you on the mat!

Jim
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I would like to thank Jim for running a successful seminar. Toby Threadgill Sensei was very generous with his teachings. His students were helpful and their input was greatly appreciated.

I would strongly encourage any Aikidoka to attend a seminar taught by Toby Threadgill Sensei.

Marc Abrams
Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Marc,

It was good meeting you there finally. I agree with your comments!

I would love to post a review of the seminar, but to be honest I am having a hard time processing all the input I received.

As I told Toby, I normally kind of avoid Koryu guys as I am basically a simpleton and get bored easily. I had planned on cutting out after the first evening if it got too much in the weeds on the details of customs, antiquated practices, and all that stuff.

Of course, I left the third day kinda wishing that it did not end.

Toby is one of the most outstanding teachers I have ever worked with. He keeps it simple, focused, is approachable, and can have you doing things that you have had trouble with, even if it only last for a short while before you forget how to do it!

I like the fact that he uses his koryu background to demonstrate principles that can be applied to any modern practice. As a Modern Combatives guy, I found myself in agreeing with him on application and tactics. He understands both the old and the new.

We need guys like him to preserve these old systems so us simpletons can return to the source look at etiology or what not and find new meaning and ways to do things based on the old.

I know for a fact that I would never have the patience or the ability to study a system such as TYSR. However, it is a rare occasion to see someone of his caliber do what he does.

Anyway, as I said, still processing what he showed us, so I don't even know where I would begin to talk about it!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Jim Sorrentino

Hi Marc,
Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
I would like to thank Jim for running a successful seminar. Toby Threadgill Sensei was very generous with his teachings. His students were helpful and their input was greatly appreciated.

I would strongly encourage any Aikidoka to attend a seminar taught by Toby Threadgill Sensei.
You're welcome! Thank you for your support!

Great seminars don't happen by chance. Ellis Amdur recommended to me that I invite Threadgill-sensei to my dojo (and he assured Toby that we were reasonably normal for aikidoka ). Many of my students worked hard behind the scenes to make the seminar a success. Further, I am grateful to everyone who attended for the quality of their participation. People from 5th kyu to 6th dan worked together to learn some fascinating stuff. Thank you all very much!

Finally, I thank Toby Threadgill for his insights and instruction. It was as inspiring as it was informative, and I look forward to training with him again!

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Hi,

I'd like to thank Jim Sorrentino for a great time. The seminar was attended by a wonderful group of people and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I hope what I taught was accessable. Sometimes people tell me my seminars can feel like drinking water out of a fire hydrant. I try to present budo principles and body theory in a manner that is not only understood intellectually but also accessible within the physical framework of Japanese taijutsu application. It is my intention that the participants walk away with something valuable in their budo toolbox that they can remember and employ in whatever art they study.

Thanks again Jim, and all the participants, for a rewarding experience.

All my best,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
jim312uav
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia

Toby;
Thanks for a great seminar.

The key principles that you covered should help to give us all things to go back to and look for within our own practice.

It was a great seminar thanks to everyone that came out.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Hello Everyone,
It was nice working with you all at the seminar. My mind is still reeling from all the new stuff I had witnessed and more importantly, felt. I can't wait to show some of the new stuff to my fellow dojo mates tonight. I only wish that Threadgill Sensei will tell the names to the katas that he presented so that those of us that happen to know Japanese or have sources to inform us of what the kata is trying to convey via the name. I did learn some new Japanese words to though. I hope that he will come back again to the DC area.
Thanx,
Mike {the chocolate chip at the seminar}
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #14
jss
Netherlands

Does anyone care to post a more elaborate description/review of the seminar beyond 'it was very interesting and a lot of fun'?