Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2003, 06:42 PM   #26
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Tom Williams (twilliams423) wrote:
The argument is often made that it's a different kind of learning taking place too. I have one teacher (not Aikido) whom I highly respect as a master instructor who recommends those who choose to teach do so only for a limited period of time, like several years, and then return to full time cultivation.I think there is a lot of wisdom behind this.
On thinking about, maybe I would say it is different kind of teaching.

I can teach a class on ikkyo and if I structure it right offer something for beginners and more advanced students and myself as well to learn and explore. My teacher set an example of playful experimentation that I realize many teachers automatically pull into class.

Can you think of areas where you can combine research and teaching at the same time ? Certainly when I teach a college level course it's not possible even in a lab course to collect publication quality data. So often in academia there is a trade off between teaching (giving) and learning (collecting). Thus in academia, we have the sabbatical to allow more time for our own learning.

A craftsmen such as a master glass blower could probably mentor students while exploring different or new experimental techniques. I have seen that happen. Perhaps other arts, it is also true.

There was series of lectures at Harvard in the 50's by famous artist (memory blanking) about the relationship of art and academia that touched on this IIRC.

Craig