Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2001, 08:32 AM   #1
carlin
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
Stretching . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim23
I find that if you keep yourself in good shape and stretch constantly, it makes a big difference. I always try to keep as flexible as posible.
Jim23
I spend a fair amount of time stretching, but I still would like to be a lot more flexible than I am. Could folks please describe your stretching routines? For example, what stretches do you do, how often, how much time do you allot for stretching each day, what time of day do you stretch, do you warm up before stretching and how, do you stretch after exercise, etc.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Carlin
Old 05-04-2001, 01:03 PM   #2
Jim23
Don't let Jun see this question, or he'll say to check this out:
http://www.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de/...ching_toc.html

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 05-04-2001, 01:32 PM   #3
akiy

Actually, I'd point you to the source of the Stretching and Flexibity FAQ as the mirror that you chose isn't the latest FAQ.

In regards to stretching, it's a very personal matter. What works for me may not do anything for you. The best way to get a good stretching routine is to feel where you're tight and work on it -- slowly. If your nose doesn't touch the ground on the first try of full leg-split, chances are that you won't be doing so in 10 minutes.

One thing that I very much try to do is to stretch after each training session while I'm still "warmed up." I may do some preliminary "stretches" beforehand, but I treat it more as a warm-up routine than stretching.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-04-2001, 03:33 PM   #4
carlin
Thanks for the Stretching FAQ link, folks. Actually I downloaded and read that a month or two back when it surfaced on aikiweb. I think it's got a lot of really good info, but aside from the stretches geared to help one do splits, I didn't find a lot of actual "stretches" - you know, such as specific instructions to stretch each region of the body.

I think that FAQ also says something like, if you stretch regularly and diligently, you will reach your maximum level of flexibility in about 2 months. That struck me as questionable. I've been stretching pretty diligently now for that long, and I sure would like to be more flexible that I am.

Does anybody out there think that they have become gradually more flexible over a period of YEARS rather than MONTHS?

And anyone else who has insights on stretching, I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Mike Carlin
Old 05-11-2001, 02:29 PM   #5
carlin
Hello?

Anybody out there?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:10 PM   #6
mj
Hi Mike, I don't know if anybody is out there, I hope so...
2 months sound VERY optimistic. Give it a couple of years. Just do it for yourself...
Enjoy the experience. (Personally, I HATE all stretching.)

Old 05-25-2001, 10:37 AM   #7
ahdumb
Dojo: Ueshiba (Nanyang Polytechnic)
Re: Stretching . . .

Errr... can't really help you here. I'm not so good at stretching myself. Still can't reach my toes.

But my sensei's ukemi who is pretty flexible (you know, able to do full leg-splits and damn COOL silent "flying" breakfalls) gained his flexibility from his ballet dancing days. Another very flexible person in the club is a white belt who recently got double promoted to a 6th kyu also took ballet herself. So maybe it's just not stretching but external factors like dancing, I guess.

But that was of course, after a couple of years of practice. Not a couple of months.

Anyway, if you've only been stretching for a few months I think that's only been a short while. Be patient, I guess. It should come naturally.

Or you could enroll in some ballet class right now I guess.

--- "Sit up straight!", my sensei
Old 05-25-2001, 12:16 PM   #8
Jim23
Mike (and everyone else),

Here's a slightly different approach to stretching, called Active Isolated (AI) stretching. I found it quite interesting.

Also interesting is the MICE vs RICE comparison.

http://www.runnersworld.com/healthy/stretch.html
http://www.aistretch.com/exercises.htm
http://www.aistretch.com/myths.htm

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 01-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Ian Watkinson
England

The only book you need is "stretching scientifically" by thomas kurz.
It explains how to reach your maximum flexibility in the shortest time, and it does work.
To stretch that hard with no real gains you must be doing the wrong exercises, or the right exercises in the wrong order which is important.The claims in the book for doing suspended splits in a month was a little optomistic, personally it took about 6 months. Check out the book there's is a couple on ebay at the moment!!!
regards
ian
Old 01-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
mj

Sounds like an advertisement Ian.

Seeing as how this thread is 4 years old.