Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-02-2004, 02:49 AM   #1
"Anonymous User"
IP Hash: 522f2eca
Anonymous User
Unhappy Giving up aikido

I know my partner will be expecting me to give up aikido soon due to 'complications' at the dojo.
(I can also understand why he is expecting me to make this sacrifice) He says we will find some thing to learn together, but I feel I have only just found aikido & know I will regret giving it up. I am worried that having regrets will just cause problems later on.

As soon as I practiced on the mat I knew it was the martial art & dojo for me. I expected aikido to be a part of me & my life for a long time to come, & guess I am having difficulties coming to terms with just giving it up.
I have considered looking for another dojo, but know my dojo is the best I will find.

Has any one else been in this situation?
Or any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
United_States
Re: Giving up aikido

You're not giving us much to go on. What are the complications? What are the consequences if you don't quit?

"If I told you, you would not know; you simply would have been told. Study it thoroughly and I will ask you. You will answer and then you will know."
Old 09-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Hanna B
Sweden

Why should you quite because your "partner" (friend? boyfriend?) quits? If you want to continue, just don't do it. You'll find some other stuff to do together, as well as activities you can do separately. If you think this kind of "sacrifice" is a good ground for healthy relationships, I say No Way.

I left aikido because of complications of various kinds. I never imagined I would do, but I did. I found life without aikido to be very possible. On the other hand, I am still there to a certain degree - I still read this board, and even post occasionally...

Drop me a private message, if you like.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Don't stop training.
I took up aikido after 17 yrs of marriage. My husband does not train, resents the time and energy it takes, wonders about me getting all sweaty and intimate w/ athletic young folks, was beside himself when I blew out my knee and even more so when I returned to training.
We have survived 8 years of aikido training. And yknow what? He IS more important than aikido to me, and how I prioritize time, travel, etc reflects that fact. On the other hand, if he ever gave me an ultimatum, I'd call his bluff in a minute and he knows it. Nobody but me gets to call the shots on whether aikido is part of my life.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-07-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
"Anonymous User"
IP Hash: 454d15f7
Anonymous User

Let's just say the complications involved feelings for some one at the dojo...
And I would assume the consequences of not quitting would involve lack of trust & all the problems that brings in relationships.

I am DEFINITELY going to carry on in aikido. I just need to find another great dojo. At least we have found a compromise. I didn't want to be backed into a corner with an ultimatum of any kind.

Thank you for your replies.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #6
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

I don't think quitting in the situation when you know that's a wrong thing to do is right. Even though your partner thinks differently, but from what I read in your post, you belong to the art and to that dojo. I would try to solve this problem without sacrifices and women have a lot of tools to influence a man.
I personally pulled my wife from a religious sect where she was a very dedicated member (like an example for others). That was not easy to do and it took about 8 month until she quit. But I was really determined to do that and I'm a stubborn highlander
Old 09-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

I get what you are saying! Something has to change!

If there is someone else who is making a problem in your relationship, and your relationship is more important than Aikido (I know my marriage is), then your Aikido must change!

For different reasons I have changed dojo, and I feel good for it. Some times you like what you are doing and are not open for how good others are. Go train around a bit (or a lot) and you will get to know others from different dojo, and go train there. You will find your way!

Good luck.

Osu!
Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Feelings for someone in the dojo! Someone has developed feelings for you or you have developed feelings for someone? By your partner, is this a spouse or a boyfriend/girlfriend. If you are not married and you find yourself attracted someone else, then your partner would seem to be controlling you. I would be more concerned about that behavior, especially if this is something you wanted to pursue. Now if it is feelings for the sensei, that could be more complicated.

Finding other dojos that are as good should not be impossible. However, doing so does not sound like to me it will solve the problem between you and your partner. There are more serious issues here.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #9
Hanna B
Sweden

If someone else is attracted to/in love with you and you are not interested, then I do not seen the problem. I will therefore assume it is you who got a more or less serious crush on someone.

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
If you are not married and you find yourself attracted someone else, then your partner would seem to be controlling you.
A relationship of any degree is a kind of commitment, married or not is irrelevant as I see it. If I developed feelings for someone else than my partner but I wanted to maintain my relationship, taking measures to avoid having so much to do with this other person would be a clever thing to do. But it should IMHO be done because I want to maintain my relationship - not because my partner requests it, although that might be what first raises the issue. If this is what it looks like I'd say you should take responsability for your own actions; do not blaim them on your partner and say you do it because he wants you to...

Your feelings for this person will probably enhance this feeling that this dojo is the right one but until you have tried the others, you really can not know if there are other equally good.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Oops, sorry when I posted my previous reply this last anonymous post has not been visible yet.

Quote:
If I understand correctly this last post it sounds to me more like you have problems with your feelings rather than with aikido or dojo...
Such thing could happen anywhere - at dojo, at workplace, at neighborhood. What will you do in that case? Change your residence? Change your profession of company? You can't resolve a problem by running and hiding.
I think you have to search for the problem and the answer inside not outside.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the situation...
Old 09-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #11
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

Is the guy your boyfriend or what..I dont understand ?Is he going to do something if you dont quit..
Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 PM   #12
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
And I would assume the consequences of not quitting would involve lack of trust & all the problems that brings in relationships.
Thank you for your replies.
Aikido is aikido is just aikido. It is after all only an extracurricular pursuit, a hobby, an interest... nothing more. Why do you Mr/Ms Anoynymous want to mess them up by complicating a hobby with relationship.

After all aikido dojo like so many social activity is a congregation of like-minded people and having people with similar interest develop more than friendship is not entirely unusual.

Best of luck,
Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #13
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

My experience is that if you move around to avoid a problem, but it is really your problem, it will just reappear at the new school. So you may want to try to figure out where the problem is really coming from and whether you're liable to take it with you when you move.

I can't guess from what you said, but if the real problem is that you and your partner don't have a clear consensus on the amount of exclusiveness in your relationship, that's a problem that will definitely reappear. Might as well try to fix it now.

If the problem is that one of you got involved in a relationship which you now regret, it's more complicated and sometimes leaving might be the best solution. It can be hard to remain training partners with someone with whom you had a more intimate relationship and no longer do.

If the problem is the *appearance* of having been in an undesirable relationship, rather than the actuality--i.e. your partner thinks you were involved in something he disapproves of, but you don't agree--don't move to avoid this! It will just happen over and over until the underlying jealousy thing gets addressed, and in the meantime it disrupts your own life and that of your dojo.

Just some vague advice, because we don't really know the situation.

best of luck,
Mary Kaye
Old 09-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #14
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
wonders about me getting all sweaty and intimate w/ athletic young folks
Say Janet, your dojo sounds like a fun place to be.

Sorry couldn't resist.

To the original anonymous, the very best of luck. I know what it's like to have conflicting forces in your life but I think that the previous posters have given the best advice.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:58 AM   #15
"Anonymous User"
IP Hash: 190a2e18
Anonymous User

Every one - thanks once again for all you replies/advice.
I suppose it has been a confusing time of change in my life & probably will be for some time more.
Hmm, this started out asking about giving up aikido, but I realise that there's a lot more behind it there!! (apologies there)

A lot of the problem has been that the feelings were mutual, & therefore I know that finding another dojo may be the best/easiest solution. And yes, I know I have to take responsibility for the situation.
However, that said, I feel the dojo is still the best for me & it would be possible to train without seeing this other person.

I'm coming to my own conclusion that it may be best to find another dojo. And that I may be able to return to my current dojo at some point in the future when things are a little less complicated.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #16
thomas_dixon
United_States

So what you're really trying to say is you're in a relationship, but met someone else in your dojo, to whom attractive feelings are mutual and you wish to carry on training but don't want to be near this person for fear of the complications or possibly the feelings you have about each other growing stronger, so you want to find another dojo?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 AM   #17
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

[b] Dont Quit Ull Regret It For The Rest Of Ur Life
Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 AM   #18
Hanna B
Sweden

How do you know Daniel - have you quit? Do you know someone who has, and regrets it?

If all people who quit aikido regret it - why do not a larger portion of them come back?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:38 AM   #19
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

because aikido doesnt suit every1 but when u rlly lyk it and u no that u want to do it then u shud continiue with it no matter what
Old 09-08-2004, 09:55 AM   #20
"Anonymous User"
IP Hash: 190a2e18
Anonymous User

Thomas, what you said is right!
That said, I can see that relationships can cause problems on the mat & within the dojo community, or what ever you want to call it.
I am an adult & should be able to control my emotions/feelings after all.
But unless I really have to I don't want to lose my dojo over all this.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #21
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
So what you're really trying to say is you're in a relationship, but met someone else in your dojo, to whom attractive feelings are mutual and you wish to carry on training but don't want to be near this person for fear of the complications or possibly the feelings you have about each other growing stronger, so you want to find another dojo?
Quote:
Anonymous said, "Thomas, what you said is right! That said, I can see that relationships can cause problems on the mat & within the dojo community, or what ever you want to call it. I am an adult & should be able to control my emotions/feelings after all. But unless I really have to I don't want to lose my dojo over all this"
Ah, Mr/Ms Anonymous, now the picture becomes clearer. Good luck with your decision.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #22
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

The question is; What do you really want?

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 09-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #23
"Anonymous User"
IP Hash: 159db2c1
Anonymous User
Freaky! Re: Giving up aikido

Lyle, that's the toughest question & it works on so many levels in my life at the moment...

I honestly don't know any more; I've gone round in circles so many times I'm confused, disappointed in myself and no longer at peace.

Trying to remain centred & hopefully it will all become clear one day!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:57 PM   #24
"no name"
IP Hash: adb6e4cc
Anonymous User

Have you tried talking to the person you have mutual feelings for and just asking them to leave you alone. Dont leave them in the dark about it. And if things continue to become moreof a problem mayby change dojo. you abviously love aikido and you dont want to break up with your partner so mayby change dojo, that way you can have both.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:32 PM   #25
thomas_dixon
United_States

It's ok to want to be closer to someone as long as you don't let it go too far...You shouldn't fear causing complications as long as the feelings of commitment and trust within your current relationship are strong, and you are confident in them. You should just revert to being friends with the person you like...Remember that self-control and confidence in your own abilities are 2 traits respected not only in life but in Aikido training. I'm sure you can pull through this without anyone getting hurt emotionally. Good luck ^_^