Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How important is facing your own aggression in improving your aikido?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 28, 2005:

How important is facing your own aggression in improving your aikido?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
Celaeno
Dojo: Saku Mei Kan
Scotland
Re: Poll: How important is facing your own aggression in improving your aikido?

In O-Sensei's dissertation "Takemusu Aiki" the two primary purposes of aikido are to loosen the joints of the body to create a vessel which can harbour an enlightened spirit. The second purpose is to destroy our own egotisms which prevent us from being in touch with the divine. Aggression being one of those egotisms, I think it's critically important to face our own aggression during training..

Just my opinion though :-)
Old 08-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

From a technical perspective, I think my experience has been that if I feel aggressive--chronic or acute--I'm less likely to let the technique happen...more importantly, I'm more likely to not allow the right technique to happen.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

When I started AIkido I was quite passive. I think I started to develop some aggression!

Old 08-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
...if I feel aggressive--chronic or acute--I'm less likely...
I was not aware that aggression was a degenerative disorder, like arthritis. Nor was I aware that aggression solely stems from Egotism. Wait! This makes everything so clear, aggression is either an acute or chronic degenerative disorder of the Ego!
Silly me! I had always thought aggression was either an aspect of physical action or a particular behavior or outlook. Perhaps stem cell research can help us cure aggression.

Seriously, folks, aggression is not a bad thing. There are times when you need to be aggressive. Think of it this way, Irimi is aggressive, while Tenkan is not. But, both are critically important aspects of Aikido. Equally so, your aggressive and passive natures are equally important in your balanced psyche. Can you let your aggression rule you? No, but you cannot survive without it. Most people live in denial of their own aggressive selves. When you delude yourself into thinking you have "destroyed" your aggression, you devolve into the proverbial "passive-aggressive" behavior which in many ways is more heinous that straight forward aggression.
Aggression is an inherent part of our animal natures. Do we need to face it and understand it? Absolutely. Do we need to destroy it or cure ourselves of it? Not just no, but HELL no!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

There is a difference between a movement which is aggressive and a mindset which is aggressive.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:51 AM   #7
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
Seriously, folks, aggression is not a bad thing. There are times when you need to be aggressive.
Yup.
Quote:
Think of it this way, Irimi is aggressive, while Tenkan is not. [
What is tenkan then, passive? Sorry...passive tenkan is one of my pet peeves.
Quote:
Aggression is an inherent part of our animal natures. Do we need to face it and understand it? Absolutely. Do we need to destroy it or cure ourselves of it? Not just no, but HELL no!
That's how I understood this question as well. The question wasn't do we need to be aggressive to improve, but do we need to face our own aggression to improve. I think everybody has some aggression and if you try to just push that away, you're kidding yourself.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Paul Kerr

Aggression? Understand it and utilise it as appropriate. Like any other natural state of being.

I voted 'very important', my assumption being that 'facing' was not being equated with eliminating.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I spend a little time wrestling with aggression, but the desire to show off is a lot more acute, and a lot worse for my aikido. That's the one I really need to face and come to some resolution with.

Mary Kaye
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
jryanruch

As a beginner, I've felt that aggression (in the sense of martially taking the initiative) has been critically important. My worst bad habit is waiting too long to engage -- I've noticed that our instructor is already moving before I've made physical contact with him/her -- by doing this I am physically manipulated before I've even completed an attack...

Hold Fast,

J. Ryan Ruch
Old 08-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States

Facing and understanding it is always appropriate. However what do you then do?
Again, it comes down to the definition of the term. In this question - aggression.
If "active hostility" is meant, then it should be transformed to "active compassion" (entering) through understanding (centering).
If "energized action" is meant, then it should be channeled and encouraged through centering & entering.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #12
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
What is tenkan then, passive? Sorry...passive tenkan is one of my pet peeves.
Pauliina, I almost started to right passive, but decided that that was not the right word, so I left it at not. I would have to say that Tenkan is "maybe" less aggressive then irimi, but I would agree with you that it is not passive. Kind of hard to put into words. But, in the end, if we are doing away with our aggression, then how can we aggressively pursue world peace, our own training or anything else?
Robert raises a few good points. But, I think if you face and understand where your angst, aggression, anger, etc comes from you put yourself in the position to choose to transform or channel that energy that comes from that part of our psyche, to change the aggression to compassion, the angst to love. And, it is never a one time deal. It happens every day over and over again. Just because you are successful at doing it today at the dojo, doesn't mean you will do it tomorrow at the office. It will increase your ability to do it, but doesn't mean that you necessarily will. It's a natural part of who we are....
Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 PM   #13
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

How important is facing your own aggression in improving your aikido?

After some pondering, I think that if you are aggressive then you need to get rid of it. If you are not aggressive then training to develop some is in order. Either way, if aggression is called for, it should be under your control.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

Uncontrolled agression can make for a very dangerous training environment.

--Amelia
Old 09-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Joseph Bowen's last post "But, I think if you face and understand where your angst, aggression, anger, etc comes from you put yourself in the position to choose to transform or channel that energy that comes from that part of our psyche, to change the aggression to compassion, the angst to love. And, it is never a one time deal. It happens every day over and over again."

Well said sir, and i was just about to give you an intercontinental tongue lashing for rationalizing your way out of self improvement!

Got burglarized last week. Rather than getting out and getting help - i got a weapon and checked the house myself - nine tenths ready to kill. Old feelings not welcome back. I train for personal growth. I guess I have improved in that I did not 'see red', and part of me was willing to negotiate and not kill on sight.

Tough world sometimes.

peace
Old 09-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #16
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Also support some of the previous views - I feel that aggression makes you short sighted and unable to adapt, and thus blending is impossible.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #17
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

I will add something:

Irimi is not necessarily aggressive. Just as tenkan can be devastating (koshi anyone?)

A good irimi encounters no resistance from uke - you put your strongest through their weakest.

hahahha - so easy to say on the web!

peace
Old 09-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #18
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, if you want to improve at anything you have to face yourself.

Since aggression by definition is an unprovoked action or hostile destructive attack intended to dominate or master (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary), I would say its a pretty important concept to face since it appears IMHO in opposition to the philosophical basis of O'Sensei's Aikido.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!