Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Kevin Choate Passes Away

Baltimore Aikido is reporting on Facebook that Kevin Choate, from the Chicago Aikikai, passed away this morning:

Quote:
It is with a sad heart that I pass on this information:

Copied from message on the Chicago Aikikai page:

Friends, it is a sad day for Choate Sensei passed away this morning. We do not have any details as of yet regarding arrangements and will let people know as soon as we find out.

One request from Choate Sensei's family is that people not call his cell phone please contact Stephen Weinberg if you have questions or need anything.

Choate Sensei was a tremendous teacher and practitioner and he will be sorely missed by all of us who have trained with him and benefited from his mentoring, friendship, and vision.
The last time I saw Kevin was when he came to Japan with Saotome (2003?) - Saotome declared him the "Shihan of Russia" during the class in Nakano.

He also cut me up during the tachidori on my ni-dan test in 1988.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Kevin Choate Passes Away

No words.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Sad news indeed - I had the opportunity to have Kevin as a training partner numerous times during the two Aikido cruises in 2005 and 2006 - he had a 'solid' feel and it appeared he had some IS going on.

Greg
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

I have known Kevin Choate for 36 years. There was never a time when he wasn't an integral part of my Aikido world. Students of the same teacher, we "grew up" in Aikido together, He's taught at my school, stayed in my home, we've taught together at all of our ASU big events. The realization that as of a phone call I got this morning, I will never see this man again has left me stunned and in shock. None of my friends know how to process this loss.

I think Kevin Choate had more integrity in his Budo than almost anyone I know. His approach to training was uniquely his own... he had his path and wasn't going to alter it for anyone. I once told him how much I respected his courage in being willing to go to the cutting edge of our art. I said I thought he could be in danger of getting so far out ahead of his audience that they couldn't go there with him (dangerous for a professional teacher). He replied, "I think about that all the time." But he never compromised. He never changed his path to try to "get ahead". He would fall all over himself to show you what he was doing but if you didn't lke what he was doing, well, tough, he wasn't doing it for you... it wasn't a show, it wasn't designed to make him famous. It was his Path and no one else's. Yet, he'd generously share it with you.

I can't calculate the ways in which this is a loss for all of us. When I heard the news I felt like someone had punched me in the gut and I could barely breath. It will be a long time before folks have digested this one. Kevin was one of the most thoughtful people I have ever met. Scary smart and possessed of a unique perception on anything you might name. Sharing ones thoughts with this man was always a paradigm shifting event. He never had the predictable point of view. This is not a loss that will go unnoticed nor will the hole he leaves be replaced. Kevin was a "one of" and this is just a devastating piece of news.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
bad uke

Dojo: Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States

I am saddened and shocked to hear of Kevin Choate Sensei's passing. I was just training with him at his Thanksgiving Seminar last weekend. I've heard Saotome Sensei and several of his contemporaries refer to him as a genius. I found him clever and artistic. His dojo was one of the most beautifully designed. We will miss him!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

I never had the privilege of meeting/training with him, but have never heard anything but the highest praise. My condolences to his family, friends, students and peers.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Kevin was a remarkable martial artist. My wife and I were fortunate to have met and trained with him. This is a big loss in the Aikido world. The condolences from myself, my wife and my dojo go out to his dojo and to the ASU at large.

RIP Kevin.

Marc Abrams
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu, I took two tanto classes led by Kevin Choate Sensei last week at the Chicago Aikikai's Thanksgiving seminar. I also had a facebook chat with him only a few days ago... This is news that spins your life around. Kevin Sensei's life was like a spinning top that suddenly topples over. All I can say is that I am grateful for the blessing of knowing him for 28+ years. Rest in peace my friend and mentor. Condolences to the family.
In gassho,
Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Very sad news. My condolences to his family, friends, peers, and students.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

deepest condolences
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
mlaranjinha
Dojo: Renshin Aikido Dojo / Horten
Norway

I cannot believe this devastating news. I shared with Kevin Sensei some of the best on- and off- the mat times I remember in my Aikido life and I cannot realize that sudently he is gone...
I am really sad.... Just hope he rest in peace and that his message stays alive somehow somewhat.
Condolences to family.
Manuel

Manuel Laranjinha
Renshin Aikido Dojo
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

condolence.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
kumachan
United_States

I am very sorry to learn of Kevin sensei's passing. I really can't believe this.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

My deepest sympathies to all who mourn Kevin Choate's passing. I wish I had met him.
Susan
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
ToddDJones
Dojo: American Butokukan
United_States

Indeed, the world has changed, yet again… our Aikido community is truly diminished by Kevin’s premature departure. Those of us who knew him were fortunate; those who were able to study with him regularly were blessed. Choate sensei’s charming nature, personal insight, and unique teaching methods were inspirational to his students and his peers. He leaves a void like no other...

Our deepest condolences to the Choate family… and, of course, to Kevin’s extended family.

American Butokukan

Todd D. Jones
Chairman, American Butokukan &
Sand Drift Martial Arts Association
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
crbateman

I am shocked. Deepest condolences to his family, friends and students.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #17
gnlj
Dojo: Clifton-Hill
Australia

I am extremely sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his classes very much.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

This is a very nice slide show that was recently posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_yJMiw6ls

Take care,

Mark J.

Take care,

Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com