Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #201
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

No.

Try meditation.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #202
JLRonin

United_States

https://youtu.be/WHho3_ZRKZ0
Old 01-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #203
JLRonin

United_States

I was forwarded and made aware of this thread by my Sensei and close friend.
There are so many biased, prejudice remarks and opinions that just make me chuckle. And many thoughts come to mind. Thus, the many misconceptions about Marijuana aka Cannabis, Weed, Pot and Hash which is a more refined form of the aforementioned. More research is HIGHLY recommended.

My Sensei is a Veteran when it comes to Marijuana. He has been an avid user just about 3/4 of the time he's been practicing Aikido. And not once has marijuana hindered his abilities on or off the matt.

This is an excerpt from my group in MeWe that I wrote:

"Hi Folks,
Some of you may know this already, but I just feel like ranting and venting a bit.
I'm just tired of the gov reeling us into their little games of smoke and mirrors and other people and entities taking advantage of the system for personal gain and profit. And just in case you are wondering and ready to make a comment, NO I will not get with the program. That's just giving in.
As an ex Military Police Officer and ex sub contracted Court Security Officer, I, just like many others, was always taught, drilled, and made to believe that Marijuana (Cannabis) was in line with PCP,LSD etc. Hence haven taken an 80 hour course on Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. Through time, and now that I am older and on the other side of the coin, I know better.
I truly believe That the gov has absolutely no right to keep and restrict people from acquiring this God given Natural Plant FREELY. They absolutely know It's beneficial properties. And just like all else, They just like CONTROL. And Doctors have no right or business prescribing something that is natural. this is just totally absurd and stupid.
It is not a drug. It becomes a drug when you abuse it. Education is of essence.
This is just Me and my honest, unasked for, freely given opinion.
Sorry if this goes against anyone's thoughts and/or views".

Oh how many times have I seen the use of incense in photos, clips, small films, movies and other religious purification rituals. O'Sensei probably did too.
If used intelligently, moderately and properly. you will not have any issues. THC for alertness and awareness; CBD for relaxation.

At any rate... keep Puffing, Breathing, Rolling.

Genesis 1.12

Last edited by JLRonin : 01-04-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #204
dps

[quote=Julio Ruiz;354569]My Sensei is a Veteran when it comes to Marijuana. He has been an avid user just about 3/4 of the time he's been practicing Aikido. And not once has marijuana hindered his abilities on or off the matt./[quote]

How could you tell without knowing how his practice of Aikido would be like if he spent that 3/4 not smoking marijuana?

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #205
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

Quote:
Julio Ruiz wrote: View Post
I was forwarded and made aware of this thread by my Sensei and close friend.
There are so many biased, prejudice remarks and opinions that just make me chuckle. And many thoughts come to mind. Thus, the many misconceptions about Marijuana aka Cannabis, Weed, Pot and Hash which is a more refined form of the aforementioned. More research is HIGHLY recommended.

My Sensei is a Veteran when it comes to Marijuana. He has been an avid user just about 3/4 of the time he's been practicing Aikido. And not once has marijuana hindered his abilities on or off the matt.

This is an excerpt from my group in MeWe that I wrote:

"Hi Folks,
Some of you may know this already, but I just feel like ranting and venting a bit.
I'm just tired of the gov reeling us into their little games of smoke and mirrors and other people and entities taking advantage of the system for personal gain and profit. And just in case you are wondering and ready to make a comment, NO I will not get with the program. That's just giving in.
As an ex Military Police Officer and ex sub contracted Court Security Officer, I, just like many others, was always taught, drilled, and made to believe that Marijuana (Cannabis) was in line with PCP,LSD etc. Hence haven taken an 80 hour course on Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. Through time, and now that I am older and on the other side of the coin, I know better.
I truly believe That the gov has absolutely no right to keep and restrict people from acquiring this God given Natural Plant FREELY. They absolutely know It's beneficial properties. And just like all else, They just like CONTROL. And Doctors have no right or business prescribing something that is natural. this is just totally absurd and stupid.
It is not a drug. It becomes a drug when you abuse it. Education is of essence.
This is just Me and my honest, unasked for, freely given opinion.
Sorry if this goes against anyone's thoughts and/or views".
I don't think anyone has any issue with his personal opinion about marijuana, or the law, or whether or not what he was told was good or bad, just an issue with its use while practicing Aikido.

However, even assuming no negative consequences have come about from your sensei using it, that doesn't mean that it would be OK for everyone to do so.

Quote:
Julio Ruiz wrote: View Post
Oh how many times have I seen the use of incense in photos, clips, small films, movies and other religious purification rituals. O'Sensei probably did too.
If used intelligently, moderately and properly. you will not have any issues. THC for alertness and awareness; CBD for relaxation.
The use of incense on an altar, and the smoking of marijuana are two completely separate things. Incense is not smoked, nor does it contain psychoactive substances. Equating the two as being related is nonsense.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #206
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

I live in a state where medical marijuana is legal, for a variety of diagnoses.

It strikes me that over the years, I have likely been on the mat with all kinds of people on prescribed psychoactive substances, from SSRIs to alprazolam to clonazepam. Even OTC cough/cold medications frequently state "do not drive or operate heavy machinery while taking this," because of its neurological effects.

Closer to the bone, there's a heck of a lot of people taking opioids for pain management. These are also mind-altering drugs. There's folks on the mat taking opioids, you can bet your gi on that.

I do not think cannabanoids -- often taken for the same diagnoses as the drugs I just listed -- should be treated any differently. Should someone not be on the mat because they're taking Xanax or Wellbutrin or Oxycontin or even Nyquil? Not unless they are visibly impaired. The same goes for marijuana. imho.

Avery Jenkins
Author of Dark River, to be released in Oct. 2020
www.averyjenkinsauthor.com
Old 03-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #207
carson88
Dojo: Wadokan Aikido Dojo
United_States

I have a more simple approach: Never smoke weed. It's better to stay clean and practice, practice and practice.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #208
susannescholl
Germany

Hi!
I find your question somehow super interesting.
Although some people report the usage of weed as part of a spiritual journey, I do not believe that the Aikido journey should have anything similar with it.
So, in my opinion, you should not use weed.