Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2002, 06:50 PM   #1
shihonage
United_States
Ouch.

So I was walking back from the park, the weather was beautiful, birds chirping, sun shining, police capturing criminals, etc...

WHAT THE... I'm flying forward and down like a 6"1 hammer.

Now, I get this funny feeling, that if I wasn't practicing Aikido, this thing under my feet would be something trivial.

Like a rock. Or a tree branch. Or something.

But NOOO... someone up there went "Okay, he practices Aikido, let's have some fun !"

And so this all happened in 0.5 seconds... I think "I'm falling, must roll CAN'T ROLL BECAUSE MY FEET ARE GLUED TOGETHER STOP STOP !" and then I did what I usually do to stop a roll midway - put my hands in front of me... which is fine, but my left knee hit the asphalt with what seemed like a loud thud... I'm surprised I actually can still walk... (knocks on wood).

This all happened without my conscious intervention, I almost instantly found myself crouching down on the asphalt, saying "Oh FUCK !"

Anyway, the powers that be decided to send me, instead of say a rock, or a tree branch, or something equally normal... A PLASTIC CIRCLE.

Somehow I stepped into it (so much for awareness) with BOTH OF MY FEET and then flew forward.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:39 PM   #2
mj
hmmm

In my old days *sigh*
we used to practise (in Judo) a front breakfall.
All you did was fall straight forward, with no occassion to avoid the impact, and strike your fore-arms against the surface (,as in a 'breakfall') to dilute the impact. Not very aesthetic, but practical.

I have found this most useful when falling on stairs, up or down.

Of course...this doesn't help you travel back in time, shiho

Old 03-27-2002, 08:49 PM   #3
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
hmmm

In my old days *sigh*
we used to practise (in Judo) a front breakfall.
All you did was fall straight forward, with no occassion to avoid the impact, and strike your fore-arms against the surface (,as in a 'breakfall') to dilute the impact. Not very aesthetic, but practical.
That is nearly what I did, only I landed on my hands... I did manage to reduce my height while falling, and the actual landing on the hands was soft... it would've been near perfect if not for my knee... I think I'll skip a class tomorrow... cringing at the thought of shikko.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:12 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Aleksey,

Sounds like some really bad misfortune! I hope your knee feels better soon.

Of course, on a related note, such things like this sure reminds you how little it takes for kuzushi to work!

Hmm... I may have to do some exercises of rolling with the feet together in the ukemi class this upcoming Saturday...

-- Jun

Last edited by akiy : 03-27-2002 at 09:18 PM.

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-31-2002, 09:54 AM   #5
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
If I would've time I would've done a fall we call "butterfly"... So you leap up and land on your hands and then take your body gently down - something you see when a fast ikkiyo ura is done for example. If this couldn't have been possible then maybe turning and yokoukemi? But it's pointless chitchat... I hope you will be able to practice soon again...

As we have -20 here in winter we are able to practice quite a lot street ukemi by ourselves... And I haven't been always successful in that... -ouch-

Jorgen