Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Thomas Osborn
Dojo: Aikido of Northampton
United_States
There Is A Glimmer Of Hope

8/11/10 w [2s 6v] I Although I started out with six vets, three of them had to leave about halfway through, and the staff dropped out even sooner than that. One of the vets returned after about 20 minutes.
We did ikyo, nikyo, sankyo and Kote gaeshi from ai homni. The four vets I ended up with are very focused on pretty much every aspect of each technique. They really work at being relaxed and balanced throughout. I told them this, but got confused looks when I then said working at being relaxed is sort of an oxymoron. They would reach the next "level" when they didn't have to work at it, they would just be relaxed. I think two of them began to get a glimmer of an idea as to what I meant.

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: There Is A Glimmer Of Hope

Good luck, you are taking on a noble cause!

Tohei used to have a series of exercises or demonstrations to helpo show that there was power in relaxation, that was not in the body with physical tension. You can find many of these exercises in his Book Aikido with MInd and Body Co-ordinated. You might find additional exercises in Shifflett's books that could help you with demonstrating the power of relaxation. If you have trouble interpreting the exercises from the books a Ki Society (or former Ki Society dojo) should be able to help you and get you where you need to be in an hour or two.

I would also do some breathing at the end of class.