Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2000, 05:52 PM   #1
jxa127
Geez, it's funny how things get simplified, turned around, and misconstrued after in such a short time.

For the record, my position, based mainly on my instructor's comments as well as my own experience is that one can reach a BASIC LEVEL OF PRFICIENCY in about a year of practice. My instructor was able to not only defend himself, but do so in such a way that the other guy was unhurt after about that much time studying.

Now, your milage may vary. I personally feel pretty comfortable with my basic body movements and my ability to get out of the way of an attack. These things are bourne out in practice in the dojo. I'm not sure I could pull off a technique outside the dojo, and frankly don't worry about it too much. I don't think I'm at the level of proficiency that my instructor had after the same amount of study, though.

I said nothing about becoming a shodan, nor did I equate being able to defend oneself successfully with being a shodan as Cas seems to be doing. I also realize that different dojos are different. I come from a small dojo where we have a lot of one-on-one attention with the sensei. That may give us the ability to do some things that might be difficult for lower ranks in larger classes.

All I know is that we focus on principles as nage, and presenting strong, committed attacks as uke. I also know that being basically proficient in an art is not the same as having mastered it. I know I have many many many years ahead of me as an aikidoka -- and that's a comforting thought.

-Drew
Old 09-18-2000, 05:57 PM   #2
jxa127
Ack! Sorry...

...that message was meant as a clarification of my statements in the "injuring an enemy" thread.

-Drew
Old 09-19-2000, 07:04 AM   #3
Cas Long
Smile Basic Level Of Proficiency

Hi,

Of course you can have a BASIC LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY after one year's training; my point is that to deal with an attack on the street, without injuring/causing any pain to the aggressor, I believe, to be far beyond this.

You might want to analyse it in these terms-I don't think that one could fully control someone else's body without being able to fully control one's own first- the "Without injury" issue aside.

Hope that this clarifies.....

Peace,
Cas

"Love Is A Verb"