Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: e9d0ec8f
Anonymous User
Freaky! Communicable Conditions

Has anyone ever "caught" something from a dojo? Have communicable conditions ever been an issue, since there is such close contact at an aikido dojo? Lice, athlete's foot, scabies, ringworm, etc...

Just wondering...I recently caught something and have been wondering what the probability of someone at my dojo giving it to me (and spreading it to others ) is.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
BC
I know someone who got a nasty skin condition/rash from a dirty university wrestling mat where he had assisted in classes.

Robert Cronin
Old 03-13-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
warriorwoman
Mats, especially canvas ones, are an potential sources of communicating a variety of nasty things. If you are training in a dojo where the sensei is responsible, there should be someone assigned to cleaning the mat with a chlorine, peroxide, or other germicidal solution after every practice session.

janet dtantirojanarat

www.warriorwoman.org

janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org
Old 03-14-2003, 12:07 AM   #4
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope
common colds do seem to get around at our dojo. i've been really stringent more recently about washing my hands right after class.

sometimes i think i get pimples on my forehead from lying face down on the mat. but who knows..
Old 03-14-2003, 07:00 AM   #5
Michael Owen
Dojo: Richmond Aikido Kai
Blush!

SYPHILIS
Old 03-14-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
janet dtantirojanarat (warriorwoman) wrote:
Mats, especially canvas ones, are an potential sources of communicating a variety of nasty things. If you are training in a dojo where the sensei is responsible, there should be someone assigned to cleaning the mat with a chlorine, peroxide, or other germicidal solution after every practice session.

janet dtantirojanarat

www.warriorwoman.org
I have only practiced on canvas mats a few times, so I have little experience in that issue.

With regards to the 'disinfection' of mats after each practice I have to disagree. It is not allways a good thing to keep everything sterile. In dansih hospitals it was custom to use surgical spirit for allmost any type of cleaning which led to killing allmost every germ. ALLMOST. Actually it appeared that killing all those germs that couldn't handle the rough treatment gave bette living conditions for the less sensitive germs, thereby in reality increasing the number of serious infections.

The proper thing to do is to use surgical spirits/other disinfectants only when it is absolutely needed, and for all other places just use soap and water.

Recent recearch (the way I have heard it refered) show as well that a certain amount of dust and germs helps to maintain our imunity towards these dangers. So we should beware of becomming too tidy, and find a good balance in cleaning as well as in our aikido.

Germs are not necessarily bad, but of course we should keep our mats clean. I recommend washing the mats on a regular basis (every second training session or so) with water and a mild soap (no perfume).

Just a few thoughts from a dirty mind

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-20-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: e46d582e
Anonymous User
Re: Communicable Conditions

Quote:
() wrote:
Has anyone ever "caught" something from a dojo?
I never saw any information on the difference between canvas and other types of matts. I know of a school that wound up getting ringworm and the athlete's foot bacteria in their matts and they were the new Swain or Zebra tatami type matts.

I know that when I was an uchi-deshi many of us were in a constant state of fighting colds, but we trained with the kids too (9 jr. classes per week). I only got sick once, but it was a doozie.

I think that's where the courtesy of hygene comes in. Like, don't cough into your hand then grab someone in katate dori, don't wipe your nose on your gi, and if you've got feverish chills, just sit the classes out 'til you're recovered.

anon
Old 03-21-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: e74d3f10
Anonymous User
Colds go around our dojo, but colds also go around the office and especially around day-care centers. Think twice before shaking hands with a three year old.

I've only caught foot yuckies (in my case plantar's warts) from a public swimming pool.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 2f968f2f
Anonymous User
Conjunctivitis. But not at my current dojo.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:50 PM   #10
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Athletes foot goes around a lot in the winter time or at summer camps. A bleach solution of water in summer for cleaning the feet before getting on the mat seems to cure all the summer foot ickies, however I don't know why this isnt the practice more in the winter (the rationale I've been told is we have dirty feet when we are outside without shoes on, or with sandals). I've seen folks get some kind of major rash happening on their wrists at summer camp if they have particularly hairy wrists. Otherwise, colds, flus and the like. I make it a point never to train if I am sick, because it really PO's me when someone doesn't afford me that same curtousey.

best,

Rachel
Old 03-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

The first winter I helped with kids classes I had colds and laryngitis FOUR times! Then I wised up and made a beeline from the mat to the sink, and before doing anything, esp touching my own face, scrubbed well with soap and water. Since then, nothing.

It is possible that fungi or under some conditions bacteria could start thriving on a mat. Basic cleaning, without antimicrobials, will work to keep the bacterial count to "normal" and in terms of fungi if the surfaces are kept clean and DRY they should not (pardon the expression...) gain a toehold.

If its verified that more than one persons have picked up a specific infection from a mat, then, yes, an appropriate antifungal or antimicrobial should be used.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield