Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Shane Marcum

Dojo: Aikido School of Lexington
United_States
Seagal Sensei's Tenshin Aikido

I am curious about the lineage of Tenshin Aikido as it relates to Take (Seagal) Sensei. Take Sensei acknowledges his loyalty to the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, but when searching their website I find no mention of Tenshin Aikido as a recognized style. The section that allows you to search "overseas" organizations also reveals nothing relating to the Tenshin style. I would like to know Take Sensei's lineage especially from whom he recieved his Yondan and up. I appreciate any comments.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: Seagal Sensei's Tenshin Aikido

Most of his advanced training and ranks came while he was attached to the Tenshin dojo in Osaka (he was at that time married to Miyako Fujitani Sensei, whose parents owned the dojo). The Tenshin dojo was affiliated with Aikikai Hombu. I don't know the current status of that affiliation, but you should probably look for it in the Japanese section of the Hombu website, rather than the overseas section. Obviously, since his breakup from Fujitani, Segal's connections to the Osaka dojo are no more, and any relationship of his to Aikikai is probably of a more direct nature.

Last edited by crbateman : 10-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Perhaps through Isoyama Hiroshi Shihan?

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

His style is named after the Osaka dojo that he used to head. So when you look for that name, you have to inquire more on is the dojo connected to Seagal Sensei or to his ex-wife who now runs the dojo in Osaka. I don't know when or to what degree, but he was promotoed pretty quickly by his ex-wife's father. He was once asked by Larry King, "...who taught you Aikido..", and his answer was "...several people that nobody has ever heard of.....". He rambled off a couple of names but it was so quick and mumbled that I couldn't catch them. The tone though was that the people aren't really well known so it's not important who taught him.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

What Aikido Federation is he under ?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

I think he is directly tied to the Aikikai Honbu dojo.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Talking Re: Seagal Sensei's Tenshin Aikido

Probably 10 years ago I read in a publication called Martal Arts Masters that Abe sensei (10th dan) said that he promoted Seagal sensei to 6th dan (from what rank to 6th dan I do not know) because his Aikido was so good. Ironically, Abe sensei is who Matsuoka trains under since their decision to go their seperate ways several years ago. I am pretty sure that the late Doshu promoted him from 6th to 7dan which he currently holds to the best of my knowledge.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
He was once asked by Larry King, "...who taught you Aikido..", and his answer was "...several people that nobody has ever heard of.....". He rambled off a couple of names but it was so quick and mumbled that I couldn't catch them. The tone though was that the people aren't really well known so it's not important who taught him.
Yeah, he's never been much about clarifying his history. The BS stories out there are incredible.

For what it is worth, Seagal started in Orange County under with a couple who trained with Henry Ishisaki's group at Orange County Aikikai (who himself at that time was under the late Rod Kobayashi-sensei). One of these days I need to scan a photo showing him at a summer camp with his new blue belt somewhere around 1971 or 1972 (which makes the whole "met and trained with O-sensei" stuff pretty hard to believe).

Somewhere around 1974 he tested for Shodan here in the states at Rod Kobayashi's dojo but memories of those I've spoken to who were around at the time about the test do conflict a bit. I've been told from numerous places that Kobayashi-sensei and Harry Ishisaki were on the board but with no mention of Tohei. I've also heard that Tohei chaired it during a visit to Kobayashi's dojo with Kobayashi-sensei and Ishisaki sitting in.

Remember it was over 30 years ago and memories tend to fade and/or meld together... Opinions of him at that time seem to be varied, but most agree he was a focused and devoted student.

Regardless, Seagal moved to Japan soon afterward to train with a young Japanese woman he met when she visited Southern California travelling with her father who was giving a seminar. The history from there on out is outlined in a number of sources and there appears to be a lot of "versions" of exactly what happened over a few short years. You're on your own with that -- that's all outside my range so to speak.

The rest is movie history...

Best of luck.

Last edited by Keith Larman : 11-03-2008 at 08:45 PM.