Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Scott Petty
Dojo: Hayal Park Dojo
Turkey
Anyone own this brand of dogi?

I just returned a gi to Ebogu, due to me ordering the wrong size. I was in the processing of ordering the correct size but instead found myself surfing the internet to see what was out there.

I stumbled across this site http://aikido-japan.com/, I haven't crossed it before. Was wondering if anyone has any info on the quality/durability or comfort of their dogi.

I'm looking for a light summer weight dogi. I just moved to Turkey and the dojo has no a/c and it gets hot and humid.

I've seen some "summer" or light weight ones on other sites. I'm open for suggestions.

Oh and for the record the customer service at Ebogu is outstanding.

Domo
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Anyone own this brand of dogi?

Quote:
Scott Petty wrote: View Post
I just returned a gi to Ebogu, due to me ordering the wrong size. I was in the processing of ordering the correct size but instead found myself surfing the internet to see what was out there.

I stumbled across this site http://aikido-japan.com/, I haven't crossed it before. Was wondering if anyone has any info on the quality/durability or comfort of their dogi.

I'm looking for a light summer weight dogi. I just moved to Turkey and the dojo has no a/c and it gets hot and humid.

I've seen some "summer" or light weight ones on other sites. I'm open for suggestions.

Oh and for the record the customer service at Ebogu is outstanding.

Domo
I can't comment on the link, but I can say that without a doubt, the ebogu hidritex gi's do their job pretty well. I have several and they got a great test at our gasshuku this year. 95 degree temps outside, probably 105+ (and the humidity! ugh) in the dojo, no a/c, 8 hours per day for a week and I never felt like I was wearing wet rug, as is the case with many gi.

did you find taht the ebogu gi was one size too small? This is unfortunately the norm for them. Their sizing chart is off..
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Can't say I've seen that one, but i do have a gi from Ebogu with the hidritex and I am thoroughly pleased with it. It's sturdy and fits really well. I have an unusual bodily thermostat, so heat is never really an issue, but the hidritex does keep the gi dry at the end of a summer class.

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Cynrod
United_States

Hello Scott, I just got the AikiJapan Competition dogi a week ago and I am very pleased with it. It's very comparable to my Tozando super soft IMO but without paying for the price. You can try their Standard single layer and their Lightweight single layer for hot climates. I will recommend AikiJapan dogis anytime to anyone.

Ebogu's HiDritex is a very good dogi also for that hot climates and for hot summer days/nights training. I used to own one but I gave it to my son due to his elbows being scrapes by doing ukemis from wearing those dogis without the HidriTex lining on the sleeves.

Well, goodluck to your dogi search.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Scott Petty
Turkey

Wow, two quick replies and both for the same gi.

No, I'm 5'9" and 225lbs or so. So I ordered a size 5 single layer gi. It was way to big. Even if I had tried to shrink there was no way I would have got it down far enough and the pants were so big it would have looked and fit funny. So I sent it back thinking I had sized it wrong, which according to the chart I did. I was trying to make up for my weight by going over board on the chart.

So the hidritex huh? Is it just the material that makes it good in the heat or is light weight too? I read the description and it mentions that is a double weave. I would have thought it was a single weave given the intention of the design.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Scott Petty
Turkey

Quote:
Rod Lansangan wrote: View Post
Hello Scott, I just got the AikiJapan Competition dogi a week ago and I am very pleased with it. It's very comparable to my Tozando super soft IMO but without paying for the price. You can try their Standard single layer and their Lightweight single layer for hot climates. I will recommend AikiJapan dogis anytime to anyone.

Ebogu's HiDritex is a very good dogi also for that hot climates and for hot summer days/nights training. I used to own one but I gave it to my son due to his elbows being scrapes by doing ukemis from wearing those dogis without the HidriTex lining on the sleeves.

Well, goodluck to your dogi search.
Hello Rod, thanks for your input, did you prefer one gi over the other and if so why? Also did the hidritex have much shrinkage?

Scott

Last edited by Scott Petty : 08-24-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added question
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Thanks for the link! I thought when it came time to get a gi I'd go with Tozando, but now I think I am going to get the competition gi from here instead. Reasonable prices and they look well made. Never heard of these guys before, so I really appreciate the info!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Scott Petty
Turkey

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Thanks for the link! I thought when it came time to get a gi I'd go with Tozando, but now I think I am going to get the competition gi from here instead. Reasonable prices and they look well made. Never heard of these guys before, so I really appreciate the info!
No problem. I'm amazed I haven't found them before considering all the time I spent looking for Aikido gear.

I'm not sure where they are based out of, I scoured their website but no luck. Sent them an email yesterday with a few questions...hoping they will hit me back soon.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Scott Petty wrote: View Post
So the hidritex huh? Is it just the material that makes it good in the heat or is light weight too? I read the description and it mentions that is a double weave. I would have thought it was a single weave given the intention of the design.
Honestly had I not read in the description just now that it's a double weave, I wouldn't have noticed. That may be a misprint or something, it doesn't feel double weave at all to me.

The hidritex stuff is just a sweat wicking mesh liner that's sewn into the sleeve's, torso and part of the shoulders. The liner itself is super light-weight and does the opposite of adding to the bulk of the gi. I find that it actually makes the gi feel less soaked and cooler.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
Rod Lansangan wrote: View Post
Hello Scott, I just got the AikiJapan Competition dogi a week ago and I am very pleased with it. It's very comparable to my Tozando super soft IMO but without paying for the price.
Rod: is the AikiJapan Competition gi super soft like the Tozasndo Super Soft?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Cynrod
United_States

@ Scott: I remember the hidritex did not have much shrinkage after washing it and dryng it in hot cycles. AikiJapan is located in Burnaby, BC in Canada. The Tozando super soft is still my favorite then the Minamoto Shokai competition gi from AikiJapan.

@ Rabih: The Tozando is still softer, thicker and heavier, being maybe on the 3.7lbs. The Minamoto Shokai gi is lighter at 3.3lbs and it has no backseams. It is soft enough and it feels just right. I am very happy with it.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba