Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
markainslie

Dojo: Aikido Shugyo Dojo
Canada
Toby Threadgill in Toronto - March 27th, 2010

Happy New Year everyone!

Kitakan Dojo will be hosting a seminar on Koryu Bujutsu with Toby Threadgill of Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu. The seminar will take place on Saturday March 27th from 1:00 PM until 6:00 PM and will cover a variety of principles and techniques of the Shindo Yoshin ryu system including empty-handed work as well as weapons.

- This seminar is open for practitioners of all styles. Bokken and wooden Tanto are required.
- In the interests of promoting both a safe and vigorous training, attendance will be limited.
- The seminar will be held at the Neighborhood Unitarian Universalist Church on 79 Hiawatha Road in Toronto.

For more information please visit our website or to download our flyer and registration form please click here. If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to contact Bryan Zarnett at tsyr.toronto@gmail.com.

About Toby Threadgill:
Threadgill Sensei is one of only three people in the world to be awarded a menkyo kaiden (license of full transmission) in Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu. He presently functions as the kaicho (administrative head) of the Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai worldwide and overseas instruction at the Shindo Yoshin Kai Hombu Dojo.

The official website for Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu can be found here.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

==
Mark Ainslie
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Toby Threadgill in Toronto - March 27th, 2010

Quote:
Mark Ainslie wrote: View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

Kitakan Dojo will be hosting a seminar on Koryu Bujutsu with Toby Threadgill of Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu. The seminar will take place on Saturday March 27th from 1:00 PM until 6:00 PM and will cover a variety of principles and techniques of the Shindo Yoshin ryu system including empty-handed work as well as weapons.

- This seminar is open for practitioners of all styles. Bokken and wooden Tanto are required.
- In the interests of promoting both a safe and vigorous training, attendance will be limited.
- The seminar will be held at the Neighborhood Unitarian Universalist Church on 79 Hiawatha Road in Toronto.

For more information please visit our website or to download our flyer and registration form please click here. If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to contact Bryan Zarnett at tsyr.toronto@gmail.com.

About Toby Threadgill:
Threadgill Sensei is one of only three people in the world to be awarded a menkyo kaiden (license of full transmission) in Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu. He presently functions as the kaicho (administrative head) of the Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai worldwide and overseas instruction at the Shindo Yoshin Kai Hombu Dojo.

The official website for Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu can be found here.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

==
Mark Ainslie
This should be very interesting. I will make every effort to attend.

Best

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

Toby is a very skilled martial artist and instructor, and always puts on a good seminar. I highly recommend.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
thisisnotreal

Greetings!
May I ask if it is planned to teach the "Nairiki no Gyo" ?
Thank you.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

I have trained with Threadgill Sensei many times.
I will train with Threadgill Sensei every chance I get.
Always instructional, insightful, and inspirational.
High skills. Highly recommend.
If you go, please extend my best.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Same here. Toby is one of my favorite people to train with!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Mr Phillipson,

I plan to cover some of the Nairiki no Gyo and associated kunren.

Regards,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
aikilouis
France

I attended Toby Threadgill's open seminar in Saarbrücken last October, it was a pleasure to hear precise explanation and see him demonstrate his art. His enthusiasm for Budo is contagious !

Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
markainslie

Canada

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
This should be very interesting. I will make every effort to attend.

LC
Hey folks,

Reading my original post I realized that I should have included a key detail.

For logistical reasons we require interested parties to reserve their spots in advance as there is limited space. What can I say, we koryu people like things cozy.

I apologize but we will not be able to accommodate last minute participants at the door.

Cordially,

==
Mark Ainslie
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
markainslie

Canada

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that our first TSYR seminar in Toronto with Threadgill Sensei was a tremendous success. I'm sure this will lay the foundation for many more in the future.

Thank you to everyone who came down and added their positive and open-minded energy to the mix. Also thanks to Threadgill Sensei for the perfect mix of laughs and learning.

Cordially,

==
Mark Ainslie
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
dbotari
Canada

I'd like to second Mark's comments. It was a fantastic seminar. Toby is a highly engaging, entertaining and energetic instructor. What was able to pick up in one afternoon with Toby far surpasses the quantity and quality of information I generally receive during a full weekend seminar. his method of principle based instruction really struck home with me and made what he was demonstrating readily applicable to my base art (Yoshinkan Aikido). It was time very well spent!! Thanks very much Toby!

Thanks to all those who participated and especially those individuals whose hard work organizing the event made it enjoyable for all.

As a quick aside, Toby has got to be one of the most genuine and nicest people I've ever met! I my opinion he is a great example of "a man of budo".
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

I'd like to add to the comments of others and say that this was an exemplary seminar. It was the perfect mixture of sound principles, direct, in-your-face application and explanation combined with enough humour to make the time fly from having so much fun.

I was very impressed by Toby's skill and teaching. He is a rare treasure among instructors and anyone who wants to get a deeper understanding of their Budo training would do well to seek him out.

Thinking of joining the Toronto TSYR group actually. A lot of my Tomiki Aikido trainign meshes nicely with their concepts. And then there are some other things that just blow your mind, all you can do is smile.

Great seminar. I hope there are more to come and hopefully not 2 years away.

Best
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca