Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #26
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Re: Criminal checks

Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
In Canada a criminal check can be done on anyone by anyone for a fee by the RCMP. These checks are required for anyone becomeing a guide leader in cub scouts or girl guids.
In my own experience, a Criminal Record Check (and in some cases, a Child Abuse Registry check) is mandatory for not only volunteer positions (such as Guides or Scouts), but any employment which may deal with children on a regular basis.

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba

Old 03-18-2003, 02:15 PM   #27
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
IMO, instructors who work with children should be licensed by the school, and the state, like any other teacher.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."

Old 03-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #28
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
This has been a valuable experience in that I have learned several good ways of dealing with any future problems This is the first time I have ever had a problem with a student. Now, to put this to bed. The student is not returning. He has decided to move back to New York. Hopefully, he will have learned a lesson as well, but I'm not too sure about that yet.

Old 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #29
Les Kelso
Dojo: T.C. Academy
United_States
background checks

I see things go off on a tangent a bit when I don't address them early on...In more ways than one..

First of all, NO ONE teaches a class unsupervised at Ta Ch'u Academy. No one ever has or ever will. I have been teaching since 1967and have never changed that policy.

Riggs sensei and I have always tried to afford the benefitof credibility/doubt to a

person by their appearance, politeness, technique, patience, and integrity.

the order of importance may change with each person or situation.We observe each person very closely and communicate about each one.

--------------------------------------

(By the way)

There are some so called

"Documented Black Belts"

i have listened to on this web site I would NOT be honored to have in my school and certainly would not let near any easily influenced

students..

You of radical statements, views and inflamatory/derrogatory accusations know exactly to whom I refer. You who attack without knowledge and defame with accusatory statements. You who would misquote and argue with your own misquote.

(but I digress)

------------------------------------

To give every one another look at our school, I would like to share some of my experience.

I have been involved in training and teaching martial arts since 1965. I am a former police officer ,(Towner Colorado)

and El Paso county Sheriffs deputy (colorado Springs)

I have taught PE at St Mary's in Kodiak Alaska,

Martial Arts at Kodiak Regional High School

Adaptive Aikido at Selah High School Special Education, Adaptive Aikido at Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind,

Police Aikido techniques at many police departments, in Washington, Texas, Idaho, and Alaska,

I taught an adaptive Aikido program to students at the Selah School for the M.R.

for 7 years.I taught a martial arts program

for disabled at Yakima Community College.

I have taught numerous programs for special students in many States and have received accolades for innovative breakthroughs in communication of martial arts techniques

with victims of Down's Syndrome,Autism and an array of other maladies affecting children.

I have taught martial arts programs at public and private schools from K-12 through college and presently teach the Aikido program at Midland College.

I (we) are extremely aware of the problems and potential for liability in working with special needs children as well as the mainstream child.

Riggs sensei and I didn't intend to set off so many alarm bells in making everyone think we were allowing bozos off the street to come in at a whim and teach our charges without supervision, (which is what some of you seem to have mis-read into it)...I watch EVERYONE

who comes in to our school..especially those we afford the privilege of teaching...Teachers are never allowed to be alone in a room with a student..for any reason. The young man in question (who is no longer with our school) whose behavior was questionable, was removed immediately upon realization of his dubiousness. Had we not been so beset by personal trauma we would not have had him teaching in the first place. His big sin ....In Aikido...second guessing Sensei on the floor i.e. "My teacher showed it this way..." Now tell me you haven't had that happen? Riggs sensei grabbed him by the short hairs and he never repeated it again.

Being a 'stiff' uke...giving a hard time to new students...stiffening up on them while they were attempting to do their techinques..

again our dojo Cho took care of it. All the time communicating to me of the young man's short-comings. Riggs Sensei immediately questioned and demanded to have his certification and when he stumbled on delivery he was removed from any contact with teaching students and not permitted to wear his black belt in the school.

In Iaido his one sin was to contact a student outside of the school via his mother at home.

He did this after being told he was not permitted to teach. His initial descent into denial and 'blame shifting' "you guys are picking on me" cemented our position he was not a valid leader, teacher or black belt..He was told he may not re enter our school without solid proof of his ranking and any further denial of his misgivings would be grounds for permanent disbarment...He chose to leave the area and go back to New York. I wish New York well.

By the way again, where did anyone get the idea we said he was black belt ranked in Iaido? As far as we know, there is only a certification allowed..Even though we are attempting to institute a ranking system

because of the burgeoning interest and the American need for symbolism.

REALLY folks..take your finger off the panic button.

Les Kelso

Old 03-30-2003, 12:24 AM   #30
mike lee
keep on digging

Right! I believe you!

Old 03-30-2003, 03:34 AM   #31
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
The personal trauma

Les

You and John refered to some personal trauma that was going on while all this was happening. I don't know what it is, it sounded like a medical matter, and it is none of my business, but I hope every thing is OK. If it is still an issue, what ever it is, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours, and I hope things get better soon.

Old 03-31-2003, 11:39 AM   #32
Les Kelso
United_States
Re: The personal trauma

Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
Les

You and John refered to some personal trauma that was going on while all this was happening. I don't know what it is, it sounded like a medical matter, and it is none of my business, but I hope every thing is OK. If it is still an issue, what ever it is, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours, and I hope things get better soon.
Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers Kelly..I don't know how to refer you to prior threads but my partner/wife/best friend was felled by two aneurysms, one that burst in her brain and one on the edge of bursting at the base of it. She has miraculously survived intact, although physically weakened. Our school suffered because she was the business manager as well as an instructor. We are well on the way to recovery. Thanks for asking.

Les Kelso

Old 03-31-2003, 11:53 AM   #33
Les Kelso
United_States
Re: keep on digging

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
Right! I believe you!
Mr. lee ,

I wonder why your life is so shallow you find it difficult to respond without the appearance of sarcasm.

I may be able to care less about whether you "believe me" or not, but I doubt it. I find myself very uncaring about individuals who put their pens to work prior to their brain. In the future please assume all other entries posted by me as directed to thinking creatures of human descent, and not you. I realize you may have a difficult time understanding my entry here and also realize you will do exactly the opposite of what I ask and reply anyway. Such is the way of uncontrollable spouters of bile. Such is the way of individuals who have known little love or understanding in their lives. I pity you.

Les Kelso

Old 03-31-2003, 12:54 PM   #34
mike lee
grinding the ax

Quote:
Such is the way of uncontrollable spouters of bile.
Sweet.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:42 PM   #35
aikidoc
United_States
Here's an interesting link from the aiki-budo website: http://www.philelmore.com/profiling/...detotrolls.htm.

Old 04-01-2003, 12:23 AM   #36
mike lee
digging ever deeper

So which one were you, "doctor?"

Old 04-01-2003, 09:13 AM   #37
aikidoc
United_States
None. I don't lurk and attack others. I only respond to attacks on me. Also, I don't hide under monikers to hide my mad person identity on any sites. Doc.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:18 AM   #38
mike lee
still digging

Quote:
Virtual Senseis are a more dangerous breed of Virtual Tough Guy.
Ring a bell?

Old 04-01-2003, 09:57 AM   #39
Les Kelso
United_States
Re: grinding the ax

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
Sweet.
By responding you have assisted in defining yourself as indeed 'uncontrollable'..

You should stop and think about whether people are interested in the bile you serve mike. Are you offering harmony?

In your case in particular I find it might be much better for you to keep your thoughts to yourself and make everyone wonder if you are a moron, rather than opining freely and removing all doubt.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #40
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Grr! enough already

Do you folks have any idea how you are coming off to the readers here?

No one is winning this snit fit, and all it is doing is making you all look foolish.

Lets please keep a level of civility to these forums.

Thanks,

Rachel (meddling in this thread) Massey

Old 04-01-2003, 10:34 AM   #41
mike lee
journey to the center of the earth

Quote:
Are you offering harmony?

In your case in particular I find it might be much better for you to keep your thoughts to yourself and make everyone wonder if you are a moron, rather than opining freely and removing all doubt.
Les harmony.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:53 AM   #42
mike lee
ducks in a barrel

Quote:
Mike, Madman, whatever... I thought you gave up long ago!! Oh wait, that was the other thread.
That's the spirit!

(Truth be told, I tried to log in on AJ as Mike Lee, but it said the name was already taken. So I decided to adopt an even more evil twin! Now it seems that Laurel and Hardy are having fits.)

Old 04-01-2003, 11:09 AM   #43
akiy

Thread closed due to its degenerating into personal bickering.

Folks, if you feel the necessity to harangue other members here, do it in private.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread