Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2000, 07:42 AM   #1
chillzATL
United_States
many people these days have very differing ideas about what Aikido is to them. Many feel it's a mainly a spiritual art and the spritual and philosophical side are more important than the waza. Others take the opposite view that it's first and foremost a martial art that is philosophical and spritual by nature. Others train with no mention of the philosophical nature of the art and concentrate only on technique. I feel these three choices would cover the most predominate thoughts on aikido, so my question is:

Based on the three choices I gave, what is Aikido to you?

Old 09-24-2000, 12:57 PM   #2
Konni
Dojo: DAB Deutscher Aikido Bund (German Aikido Association)
Smile

To me Aikido is the biggest fun I can Imagine!
Don't think too much, just do it!

Konstantin
Old 09-25-2000, 01:20 AM   #3
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Chill !

When I started Aikido, it was only a physical exercise for me. But four years later, I recognize now that it influences my mind also, in a very positive manner which I cherish. But I think this is only possible through physical training.

That's how it is for me, it may be different for everybody else.

Hope that helps,

Simone
Old 09-26-2000, 01:52 AM   #4
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Aside from a whole lot of sweating and getting up of off the floor Aikido to me is a physical thing at present, mainly because I have only been doing it for 6 months!! I can see the philosophy and Spiritual side of it and can relate to that, however, because of my short time in this I cannot really say that either of those has a great impact on me YET!!! As I progress in my studies I am sure that will change, but for now I am having enough to deal with in learning the basics well enough to be able to progress!!

that said, I also agree with Konni in that Aikido is one of the most enjoyable past times I have ever taken part in!!

Pete

Old 10-02-2000, 02:47 PM   #5
chrisinbrasil
Dojo: Lenwakan
Ai symbol Aikido IMHO...

Hi,
Personally, Aikido is a form of releasing tension, controlling my temper, maintaining a certain degree of physical fitness, learning to defend myself in a peaceful way, and mental exercise of discipline in general. I don´t believe that it is necessary to adopt Shinto or any other Oriental religion for that matter. I personally belive, however, that the philosophy grows on you. Before you know it... you love everybody and want to keep them safe from harm, even when they try to kill you. I do and always have believed that Aikido is a Martial art and was developed from battlefields not temples. Though the lessons of the battlefield can and should be transferred to everyday life, we should never lose sight of it´s Martial origin.
At your service,
Christopher

At your service,
Christopher Wilson
Hito no tachiba wo kanga eru.
Old 10-02-2000, 03:32 PM   #6
Nick
United_States
I personally think that Aikido can be learned and some profiency acquired if your back is turned on ki and the philosophy, but to master anything, you must look deeper... teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.

One more quote:

"Given enough time, any man may become proficient in the physical. Given enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the truse warrior who can do both- and surpass the result."
-T'ien Tai

Ja,

-Nick
Old 10-16-2000, 11:16 AM   #7
slartibartfasz
i don´t know very much ´bout aikido but for me it is like coming home....

i´m writing this after my second training session on aikido

i know a lot about self defense and i mean the nasty type of it - ripping off ears, breaking legs and all the dirty tricks there are - eventually my friends at university asked me:

hey what do you do if two armed thugs...

and i always told them that i would run away because i see no sense in anyone getting injured - not because i was afraid of them but because i was afraid what i could do to them

two weeks ago i went to a dojo and we didn´t do much more than rolling around on the floor; i began to read about aikido on the net and it felt like my own thoughts - i´m really happy that i finally found a way to do something BETWEEN killing and running away and i´m really happy that i now have the opportunity to discover a whole world and so many people that feel in the same way - i only whish it would have happened earlier

for me aikido seems to be a way of living - my way of living - i only didn´t know until two weeks ago that this way has a name
Old 10-16-2000, 12:37 PM   #8
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas

The art of not being there
Old 10-16-2000, 04:07 PM   #9
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Quote:
chillzATL wrote:
many people these days have very differing ideas about what Aikido is to them. Many feel it's a mainly a spiritual art and the spritual and philosophical side are more important than the waza. Others take the opposite view that it's first and foremost a martial art that is philosophical and spritual by nature. Others train with no mention of the philosophical nature of the art and concentrate only on technique. I feel these three choices would cover the most predominate thoughts on aikido, so my question is:

Based on the three choices I gave, what is Aikido to you?
Personally, I don't see how you can separate any of the 'three'; the physical, the spiritual, and the philosophical. On the mat, naturally I tend to focus on the physical, but not to the extent that I ignore the others.

Tarik
Old 10-31-2000, 08:59 AM   #10
Skyluke81
Talking Opinion of a newbie

As said I'm quite new to Aikido, so I haven't seen much of the "martial" part (we've been doing only ukemi until now, but I've seen some techniques demonstrated by other students).
However, I sense that Aikido is in fact a martial art, emphasizing the spiritual part (often omitted), to use it together with the physical (e.g. techniques).
I think the means also this: harmony between spirit and body.

May sound confused...

Luca

'Cause between this world and eternity,
there is a face you hope to see.

-Lene Marlin
Old 10-31-2000, 09:17 AM   #11
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Aikido is a method of self defence.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:24 AM   #12
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Aikido is primarily a self-defence. To me if you loose this aspect the spiritual side of aikido will never develop (which I think is the choice of the practitioner). It is not a physical excercise; if you are a young adult using it as an excerise there is definately a problem with your fitness levels - however it does encourage me to do other excercise as you get to realise just how fit and strong other people can be.

My aikido is a framework in which I can practise self-defence without injuring others. I think we should always keep in mind the opportunities for strikes, kicks and non-conventional techniques; many of which can be incorporated into aikido.

[P.S. despite these convictions it does give me the equivalent of a spiritual high, that you can get from meditation and yoga; and its philosophy has changed my life.]
Old 10-31-2000, 06:13 PM   #13
Mike Collins
United_States
Aikido, for me, is a martial art with a side that requires introspection and honesty with my self.

I got involved with it because I wanted to know something about ki, having read one of Tohei Sensei's books when I was a younger man. I already knew how to beat people up, and had found long before that there was no "heart" in that kind of thing.

As I got into Aikido, I became hooked by how difficult and paradoxically simple it was. All of the techniques were basically, pretty simple, but incredibly difficult to get any kind of a handle on them because they require that I let go of so much.

I've been fortunate enough to get to take ukemi for some incredible Aikidoists, and some of the things these people were capable of were, to me, amazing. Another hook.

When I first started to train I thought all of these teachers were supermen or better people than I was, obviously, because they could have done all of these amazing things. After a few years of training, I got to see some of the character flaws these folks, like everyone else on the planet has. At first, I was disillusioned, but after a while I came to take great heart in the fact that these flawed people could "get" Aikido, it meant that no "perfection gene" was required. Another hook.

I really love the motto "masakatsu agatsu, katsuhayabi". I'll probably never get a true, self victory, but the trying makes me a little better all the time.

Basically, Aikido is what I do. I asked one of my very favorite teachers why he keeps training, his answer was "Osensei was my teacher, once I saw him, I had no choice". I feel similarly because of some of the things I've seen and felt. Now I feel a certain responsibility to the art to try to get as good as some of these people who've inspired me (may not make it, but I should try), so I can someday inspire someone else, who may actually be better than us all including Osensei, and I'll have done my part in paying back Osensei.
Old 11-01-2000, 03:47 PM   #14
SmilingNage
United_States
Talking

I would have to say that aikido became a route for my path or actually my "do." I found it to be a centering martial art. That reaches far beyond being a martial art. It could be said it has enormously influenced and in some instances corrected my life. Aikido is about understanding and "control" for me. A way to keep myself level in the thick of things instead of flying off the handle and get drawn into the conflicts surrounding me. Whereas once i was being led now i lead or atleast stay in control of the only thing that i can trully control which is myself. In a way it has imparted the ability to let go of things and still stay within myself when things go bad. But on the other hand it allows me to be flexiable and understand and adapt. Its more or less with understanding, that you can realize that we all have bad days and moments and seeing beyond that instead of getting hung up there. I can relate better to people who are having a bad day because lord knows i have had my moments. so it makes it easier to show compassion to someone when u trully understand them.
So that would be one level by which it has enriched my life. But when it come right down to it....its fun! There is nothing better than taking ukemi. And if its koshi nage ukemi then its even better. But hey I am a little off the wall so maybe not everyone will enjoy taking koshi-nage ukemi. but ukemi is just like play time for me. so much so I favor it over being Nage. Yeah right. their aint nothing better than to catch some one with a good direct entry irimi nage. lmao hehehe

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 11-13-2000, 02:12 PM   #15
Moth
Dojo: Träningstudion
Circle In my point of view...

When I decided I would have a look at Aikido, I went to this show where they gave us a little look on what it was.

At first I thought it looked rather amusing but I still decided that I would have a look.

I did so and enjoyed myself to the limit of insanity. It felt great to do Ukemi and Suwari-kokyoho or whatever you wish to call it.

Now I did it for the fun. A week later I recognized the value of excersice.
After another week I saw that it could be utilized in selfdefense...

Now about 2 months after the initial practice I have long since put that behind me. I am a rather big bloke and so far in my life(only 18) I have never been forced to defend myself. Therefor I don't train for that.

The biggest issue now I believe is self-control...and thereby the control of my enviroment and life.

-Gabriel

What Moth doth say Moth will do...
Act fast and without fear.