Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
whatssarong
United_States
Freaky! Help with Techniques

Hey everyone! I'm a TKD guy I was given a project by my instructor to teach #1 Ude Osae #2 Tekubi Osae #3 Kote Osae to our Black Belt Club. I have had many years of practice in Aikido and JuJitsu and know many varriations but no names. I have been looking on the net but everyone has a different varriation and names and you can't really tell which name goes with which technique. Can anyone tell me where I can find a clip of each of the above and which ones they are? I know what Ude, Tekubi, Kote & Osae mean but would like the definate techniques. Thanks for any help

Bob
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Help with Techniques

Hi Bob,

Perhaps the Techniqueschart in the AikiWiki may help you in your techniques terminology search.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Aristeia
New Zealand

the only thing that matters is what your instructor thought they meant when he gave you the assignment. So perhaps ask him?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
whatssarong
United_States
Talking Re: Help with Techniques

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
the only thing that matters is what your instructor thought they meant when he gave you the assignment. So perhaps ask him?
Thanks Michael, I know what he meant. He knows I have some experience and he sent me out to investigate and see if I can return with the results. And that's what I'm doing. Sort of a homework assignment.

Bob
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
whatssarong
United_States

Quote:
akiy wrote: View Post
Hi Bob,

Perhaps the Techniqueschart in the AikiWiki may help you in your techniques terminology search.

-- Jun
Thank you so much Jun I will check it out!

Bob
Old 03-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Aristeia
New Zealand

I'm not sure I understand? Either you know the techniques he's specifically referring to so there's no problem. Or he himself doesn't know much about the techniques he's asked you to research.

I hope it'sthe latter because that would be a pretty good school with a good instructor (not that the former wouldn't be either, but I really like the idea of an instructor asking senior students to bring something new back into the system that they themselves don't necessarily know).

Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
whatssarong
United_States

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I understand? Either you know the techniques he's specifically referring to so there's no problem. Or he himself doesn't know much about the techniques he's asked you to research.

I hope it'sthe latter because that would be a pretty good school with a good instructor (not that the former wouldn't be either, but I really like the idea of an instructor asking senior students to bring something new back into the system that they themselves don't necessarily know).
Hey Michael,

He is a good instuctor and open to other styles. Like I said I do have some experience in Ju Jitsu and Aikido much less on the Aikido side. We have a Black Belt Club class where we like to expose students to something different than TKD for fun and education. Now back to me I do know many locks and flows as I have some experience in Japanese Shooto as well as the Ju Jitsu and Aikdo and some Filipino joint techniques as well, the problem is that in most the arts I have mentioned they are given a # in the flow instead of the name. Anyway, my instructor asked me to do the class the only thing is that he did ask for these particular locks and pins as my terminology is not very good I did ask him where he got them from he said that he had seen them somewhere and jotted them down and he found them in his notes. Now I'm sure that I know the locks but matching them up with the proper term is important to me as I would like to instruct the proper technique along with the term rather than a # to the students.

Thanks for the thoughts

Bob
Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Aristeia
New Zealand

sounds like a great club. What you may find is that there is no right answer on some of this stuff. As you may have noticed in the aikiwiki - depending on style the same name can be used for different things. I remember having an argument (ok, discussion) with a co instructor over which was juji nage vs juji garame vs sumi otoshi. And we were both right. In the end in that case it was simple enough - go with the terms as used by our sensei. In your case there may be some double up.

I am not particularly familiar with the terms you've used so can't be much more help than that but wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

udae osai is typically first technique or ikkyo in aikido. many different ways to do ikkyo depending on your perspective and how you want to demonstrate it, static, dynamic, resistant, non-resistant.

Tekubi Osae might be yonkyo or forth technique in aikido.

Kote Osae, might be Kote hineri Osae...or Sankyo or third technique in aikido. or it could be Kote mawashi, or Nikkyo or second technique in aikido.

Japanese terms can be difficult to interpret sometimes unless you know exactly the perspective in which them mean them in.

I can tell you that if you are looking for pins, the four mentioned above are good ones to start with. Should be plenty of information out there on them. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
crbateman

And then you open a book, like Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere where they're all numbered, and your head explodes...
Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
And then you open a book, like Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere where they're all numbered, and your head explodes...
Almost like opening the Baseline skillset thread.

Last edited by gdandscompserv : 03-12-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
I loved that book, I read it in 3 days! I didn't find the use of numbers so difficult. They linked to each attack a number instead of calling it with the Japanese name. I guess it is a smart idea to avoid messing up people who just bought the book to have a better idea about Aikido and never stepped in an Aikido dojo before.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
crbateman

Quote:
Gianluigi Pizzuto wrote: View Post
I loved that book, I read it in 3 days! I didn't find the use of numbers so difficult. They linked to each attack a number instead of calling it with the Japanese name. I guess it is a smart idea to avoid messing up people who just bought the book to have a better idea about Aikido and never stepped in an Aikido dojo before.
But of all the dojos I have stepped into, I never found one using that numbering system. That is why I mean it's confusing. Any idiot can count to a hundred, but without a frame of reference beyond the book, it's not very useful.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
akiy

Quote:
But of all the dojos I have stepped into, I never found one using that numbering system. That is why I mean it's confusing. Any idiot can count to a hundred, but without a frame of reference beyond the book, it's not very useful.
Maybe someone can add a "translation" page of the numbers to the actual attack/technique names into the AikiWiki?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
crbateman

Good idea, Jun. But to really do it right, there would have to be many columns in that chart for each technique, such as ones headed "Complete Japanese Description", "Condensed Japanese Name", "Plain English Name", "'Sphere' Number", "DRAJ Equivalent", "Alternative Naming", and so on...

Quite a job... Might make a good yudansha research project for someone.