Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
ryback
Re: hand technique = strike technique

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
A sword still has within its design the point of a spear. There are applications in which the sword is a spear. A knife, too. Same thing. The tsuki is a spiral thrust and can be executed with a spear, sword, knife or even ball point pen. It's the same. And even effective movements that may appear externally linear are still spirals.

Yes, a knifehand strike (tegatana) can be used to cut, but also to strike, and all are spirals.

The sword is generally meant to cut or thrust into soft areas. The jo strikes hard areas - but can also thrust into soft areas. And even though the targets may be slightly different, the movements are exactly the same. A jo is also a spear. A jo is also a sword, because the power sent through the jo can cut through - it doesn't just stop. It's all the same thing.

Tsuki with the hand, sword, jo, McDonald's french fry, chopstick, fork, flashlight, toothpick, tv remote - is all the same. And it is also the same movement within gote kaeshi, iriminage, and tenchinage. All these tsuki movements operate through the front/back direction of the body. Not only uke's, but nage's too. It's the same.
Yes and...no (at least in my opinion). I agree completely that you can cut with a sword and also thrust with a sword. I also agree that you can make a thrusting movement with a jo but also a cutting movement as well. But the way i see it there is an important difference.
When one cuts with a sword he tends to "draw" a part of a circle with the tip of his sword, because the sword has a curve and the shoulders must extend and withdraw again. But one makes a shomen uchi with the jo the tip makes also a circle but the jo remains straight and the feeling one gets is not that he is cutting but hitting someone.
When one thrusts with sword the thrusting movement starts from the tanden and extends forward, with the feeling of penetration.But when one is thrusting with a jo, he is altering his hanmi slightly turning the hip and the foot towards the inside and makes the move with the feeling of hitting again.
So when we thrust or cut with a sword the feeling is one of penetration,and when we make a tsuki or a shomen with a jo the feeling is one of hitting.We could say that the sword is a cutting weapon that could also thrust and the jo is a hitting weapon that could also "cut".
Both weapons are teaching us the principles and movement of aikido, but i personaly prefer to take as reference the sword for a shomen and the jo for a tsuki.
Yet this is my personal view,others may do differently...
Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Yannis, another interesting view. Different to mine but so it should be as we share our views.

Made me think of the fact that without emphasis on the weapons then what is left but different motions. The motion of thrusting and the motion of cutting as but two different motions of many.

My view of cutting may also be different to some. I teach the cut is straight, with no overextension or 'looping' and also no drawing or pulling back.

The end or tip of the sword does indeed draw a circle and it's quite amusing to watch when that is pointed out then most in trying to cut, say shomen, start overextending or making a slight loop rather than circle. Then when saying that's not straight they generally then start pulling or drawing the cut trying to overcompensate.

The best analogy I give for a true straight cut is that of the hands of a clock. Perfect cut straight down from 12 to 6 and at the same time perfect half of the circle. My sword bounces back at about 4 unless I make it stay there.

All interesting stuff.

Peace.G.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #28
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

In tweaking this, I'm taking out the idea of planes. Planes are artificial constructions, and they don't occur in nature. The in/out, up/down, back/forth are the directions I was getting at. And those six directions line up with long-existing internal methodologies.