Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #101
salim
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
I'm not jumping into anything. I'm taking my time. I'm also learning as fast as I can. And the results are so obvious.

I think the difference is that I *know* my current approach will take me where I want to be. Until any other approach starts producing, I'm not buying...

Rob
Rob,

Never let anyone discourage your growth internally or externally. An open minded approach will only lead you to find yourself and develop your skills to their highest ability. The traditionalist mindset is a means to a repetitious end, going no where. An evolutionary mindset will continue to explore new methods, learning how to move your body in ways you never knew. Learning methods to deal with mental or physical confrontations beyond the scope of passed down traditions, will arm you with the ability to explore yourself fully.

Some accuse practitioners like Roy Dean of leaving Aikido. What Roy Dean has done, is evolved his Aiki skills beyond the traditionalist methodology. Traditionalist fanaticism is a mere Stalinist like, in disguise(you are told you must do it like this, otherwise suffer pure ostracism). Why would you want to be a trained robot? Aiki principles of redirecting energy is the key, not fighting, as was indicated. Live training gives one the ability to explore, without the constrained limits of tradition. This can be done with several methods of training, beyond the Aikido traditionalist mindset.
(http://www.roydeanacademy.com/video/..._the_wristlock)

The younger, open minded person who protects him/herself from quasi-traditionalist fanaticism will realize these concepts and grow beyond their martial expectations. The traditionalist Aikidoka will remain stagnant, limiting their abilities to repetitive, hand me down motions, with no live training to explore unlimited possibilities. Evolutionary methodology applied to your training is essential to the Aikidoka's growth, if they are truly seeking unlimited martial growth.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #102
Mato-san
Iceland

Evolution

Aikido is endless... my superiors tell me every year at camp, It will be what you make it, adhere to the basics (principles) of course it will evolve. And every year I see a new approach to the same techniques....turning into some thang new. It all works, but it is new. As long as it is practical and the foundation is present ...it is evolution.
Hence revolution and continuously evolving!
BALANCE

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #103
observer
United_States

Hello,
I have not seen too many comments on my recent post. Once again, I encourage you to open your minds to my new approach to Aikido.

As I have mentioned before, to me aikido is not a dream, vision, illusion or a spiritual breakthrough. It is just a preparation to serve our society in a better way.

I totally agree with memorable quotes by Yukiyoshi Takamura on pacifism, especially with this one: "A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence." I am also still under impression of two Morihei Ueshiba's intriguing quotes: "Learn and forget" (mentioned in this topic) and "Catch the secret and you can do my level of aikido in three months." (Robert Nadeau, AJ 117).

First, let me quote and comment on some of your answers to my first post.

"I think the below video does a much better job of demonstrating ‘Reverse Intimidation'."

This clip "Aikido Reverse Intimidation" is not an instructional video and definitely is not intended for entertainment. It shows an idea of how to use aikido as an efficient and reliable tool to achieve a certain goal. It works and also sends a message. It depends on you how are you going to read it. BTW, so far more than 10000 people watched it.

"Strange logic to self defense."

Based on my 18 years of experience of practicing aikido in today's dojos, aikidokas usually practice twice a week and perform multiple techniques, only repeating each one from time to time. Such practice doesn't seem to be successful, and if aikido's purpose is teaching self defense, such approach appear illogical. Aikidokas are also distracted from learning trained reflexes by mixing in other elements such as teachings on etiquette, breathing, meditation, kihon, suwari-waza, ukemi and weapons. Not to mention unrealistic attacks. It is like learning how to drive a car by reading a book. My methods are very logical because they simply teach a person how to defend himself by developing trained reflexes with constant practice and repetition.

"Show me the robot!"

"Here you are! You will need a compressor, a low pressure air tank, a place to install it (I have chosen 3 inexpensive floor lamps), and obviously the Kit. It works with a small keyboard and also can be controlled by a computer. The idea follows a concept of a short distance attack with a minimal body movement in response.

Finally, let me explain a practical approach to my favorite quotes mentioned above. I have created Aikido Workout. It is an hour long exercise divided to 21 parts. Each part is supported by a piece of music. If this surprises you, let me assure you that this is nothing new in Martial Art. For example, it is not a common knowledge that an Argentinian Tango has its roots in practicing knife's fighting. Of course, without women.

Repetitions can be boring and therefore the element of music works great with the routine. The music lets establish rhythm, tempo and breaks between exercises. You can practice Aikido Workout alone (kata) or with a partner (uchi komi). There are 3 individual parts (a worm up and two for common movements) and 18 others, strictly dedicated to 6 techniques I have mentioned above. Lets' do simple math. There are 1500 repetitions during one hour. If you practice, for instance twice a day, in the morning alone and in the afternoon with a partner, you simply make 2200 repetitions a day. Over a course of 3 months it would be 200,000. Is this enough for one to 'learn and forget' about it? I do not know, but what I do know - it is a lot. Isn't it? The goal of my Aikido Workout is to teach how to respond to a real threat by a trained reflex as fast as the blink of an eye,

Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #104
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Quote:
Maciej Jesmanowicz wrote: View Post
Hello,
I have not seen too many comments on my recent post. Once again, I encourage you to open your minds to my new approach to Aikido.
Onegaishimasu. One reason can be that your post sounds too much like a sales pitch. A lot of us don't come to the aikiweb forum to go shopping.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -

Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #105
observer
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
One reason can be that your post sounds too much like a sales pitch.
I don't think so. It is just politically incorrect.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #106
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Maciej,

I have to go with Mark, it does sound too much like a sales pitch.

Charles

Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #107
observer
United_States

OK. I am curious. What I am going to sell to you - the idea or a product? Actually, I made that video per Demetrio Cereijo's and Michael Douglas's requests. They asked to see the robot. BTW, it is a great and safe tool and easy to make. Any questions? Just ask, and please - I just want to hear your professional opinion on my approach and I encourage all of you to join in this discussion.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #108
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Actually, I made that video per Demetrio Cereijo's and Michael Douglas's requests. They asked to see the robot. BTW, it is a great and safe tool and easy to make.
Sorry, Maciej. I missed your previous posts.

Now, after watching the video, I'm slighty dissapointed (I was expecting something like a hakama wearing Voltron), but your work is interesting nonetheless.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #109
observer
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I'm slighty dissapointed (I was expecting something like a hakama wearing Voltron).
Let us know - why? It could be a good start.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #110
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Well, your robot is not very intimidating, so there is not much "reverse intimidation" left to revert on him/she/it.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #111
observer
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Well, your robot is not very intimidating.
Well, you never know, till you try. What about techniques?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #112
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
OK. I am curious. What I am going to sell to you - the idea or a product?
Ideas, so far. (I'm waiting to see if there is going to be a product teaching your Aikido Workout ) I have noticed that in all of your 12 posts so far you have made proclamations as to what Aikido really is and to what O'sensei taught and how to approach his teachings. You are presupposing that some or all here do not know these things, are you not?

I don't know anything about you, but I have noticed that sometimes people come to this forum already having an amount of status in their own circle and seem to forget that they do not have that here. I have also noticed that such people do not stay long (unless they are driven to teach aikidoists that aikido is missing some kind of inner power, in which case they seem to never leave. )

Let me leave this by saying that your posts have a basic tone which is respectful, and I, for one, appreciate that!

Charles

Old 10-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #113
salim
United_States

Quote:
Hello,

As I have mentioned before, to me aikido is not a dream, vision, illusion or a spiritual breakthrough. It is just a preparation to serve our society in a better way.

I totally agree with memorable quotes by Yukiyoshi Takamura on pacifism, especially with this one: "A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence." I am also still under impression of two Morihei Ueshiba's intriguing quotes: "Learn and forget" (mentioned in this topic) and "Catch the secret and you can do my level of aikido in three months." (Robert Nadeau, AJ 117).

First, let me quote and comment on some of your answers to my first post.

"I think the below video does a much better job of demonstrating ‘Reverse Intimidation'."

This clip "Aikido Reverse Intimidation" is not an instructional video and definitely is not intended for entertainment. It shows an idea of how to use aikido as an efficient and reliable tool to achieve a certain goal. It works and also sends a message. It depends on you how are you going to read it. BTW, so far more than 10000 people watched it.

"Strange logic to self defense."

Based on my 18 years of experience of practicing aikido in today's dojos, aikidokas usually practice twice a week and perform multiple techniques, only repeating each one from time to time. Such practice doesn't seem to be successful, and if aikido's purpose is teaching self defense, such approach appear illogical. Aikidokas are also distracted from learning trained reflexes by mixing in other elements such as teachings on etiquette, breathing, meditation, kihon, suwari-waza, ukemi and weapons. Not to mention unrealistic attacks. It is like learning how to drive a car by reading a book. My methods are very logical because they simply teach a person how to defend himself by developing trained reflexes with constant practice and repetition.

"Show me the robot!"

"Here you are! You will need a compressor, a low pressure air tank, a place to install it (I have chosen 3 inexpensive floor lamps), and obviously the Kit. It works with a small keyboard and also can be controlled by a computer. The idea follows a concept of a short distance attack with a minimal body movement in response.

Finally, let me explain a practical approach to my favorite quotes mentioned above. I have created Aikido Workout. It is an hour long exercise divided to 21 parts. Each part is supported by a piece of music. If this surprises you, let me assure you that this is nothing new in Martial Art. For example, it is not a common knowledge that an Argentinian Tango has its roots in practicing knife's fighting. Of course, without women.

Repetitions can be boring and therefore the element of music works great with the routine. The music lets establish rhythm, tempo and breaks between exercises. You can practice Aikido Workout alone (kata) or with a partner (uchi komi). There are 3 individual parts (a worm up and two for common movements) and 18 others, strictly dedicated to 6 techniques I have mentioned above. Lets' do simple math. There are 1500 repetitions during one hour. If you practice, for instance twice a day, in the morning alone and in the afternoon with a partner, you simply make 2200 repetitions a day. Over a course of 3 months it would be 200,000. Is this enough for one to 'learn and forget' about it? I do not know, but what I do know - it is a lot. Isn't it? The goal of my Aikido Workout is to teach how to respond to a real threat by a trained reflex as fast as the blink of an eye,
Nice, funny toy. I wonder if I should buy one to use for my daughter's 7 year old birthday party. The kids would love it. I think your robot thing is great for child's play. Let me know where I can buy one. The other parents would get a kick out of it as well.

This clip "Aikido Reverse Intimidation" looks like it belongs in Woody Allen movie, "Sleeper."

Last edited by salim : 10-16-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #114
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
OK. I am curious. What I am going to sell to you - the idea or a product? Actually, I made that video per Demetrio Cereijo's and Michael Douglas's requests.
YES!
I dimly recall the "show me the Robot!" query.
Soon ... 4 minutes of download later .. soon I will KNOW THE ROBOT.
I'm excited already.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #115
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Oh.

I have seen the robot.
I no longer FEAR the robot.

Surely this is an excellent troll job.
My congratulations!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #116
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Just so my last post doesn't leave a hugely disappointed echo, these are the bits of Maciej's post which I have great respect for. I just doubt Maciej's proposed learning methods are exactly what I would choose.
Quote:
I am also still under impression of two Morihei Ueshiba's intriguing quotes: "Learn and forget" (mentioned in this topic) and "Catch the secret and you can do my level of aikido in three months." (Robert Nadeau, AJ 117).
Based on my 18 years of experience of practicing aikido in today's dojos, aikidokas usually practice twice a week and perform multiple techniques, only repeating each one from time to time. Such practice doesn't seem to be successful, and if aikido's purpose is teaching self defense, such approach appear illogical. Aikidokas are also distracted from learning trained reflexes by mixing in other elements such as teachings on etiquette, breathing, meditation, kihon, suwari-waza, ukemi and weapons. Not to mention unrealistic attacks. It is like learning how to drive a car by reading a book.
Lets' do simple math. There are 1500 repetitions during one hour. If you practice, for instance twice a day, in the morning alone and in the afternoon with a partner, you simply make 2200 repetitions a day. Over a course of 3 months it would be 200,000. Is this enough for one to 'learn and forget' about it? I do not know, but what I do know - it is a lot. Isn't it?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #117
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:

This clip "Aikido Reverse Intimidation" is not an instructional video and definitely is not intended for entertainment. It shows an idea of how to use aikido as an efficient and reliable tool to achieve a certain goal.
I have observations based on freeze-frame analysis on the downloaded .flv video;

1.At 0:08 the second shomen has already missed the face by the time the defender has raised his hand even as high as his chin. Both defender and attacker are completely deluded as to efficacy and application.
2.At 0:19 the attacker raises his fist to a completely different and offline position to the first fist-on-belly placement. Perhaps the defender is deluded that he is avoiding the fist. The attacker is actually raising his fist to an empty place. Naughty.
3.At 0:27 the defender moves long before the attacker begins to reach for the T-shirt grab. Pointless. At least try to react ... or cover up the delusion by moving about the same time.
4.At 0:31/0:32 the irritating popping and clicking sound effects are too noticeable.

The rest of it ... the WIERD step-by-awful-wrong-step Shihonage on floppy arm stuff was ...

Akk.

Now do it against the robot and see the blood spurt!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #118
zukzerozero
United_States

it seems strange for me that we, as practicioners of an art that is supposed to evolve in practice beyond form, get so easily caught up in the particular forms of the art. it seems to me that aiki is a concept that is easily translatable into other idioms. this does not deny osensei's originality in his controbutions to and expressions of the concept. indeed it seems to me healthier to views his work as contributing to the global elaboration of this concept. i feel like he would agree with this. if so, then, aikido is the ways and means of trying to practice and help in the elaboration of the concept. so it shouldn't matter if you are practicing bjj techniques in the context of aikido, as long as aiki principles are in play.

to wit: my personal exploration of aikido has led me to augment my study of the art with baguazhang. i'm not terribly interested in discussing the merits of these two arts in comparison, but instead to point out exactly how studying bagua has helped my aikido.

explample one: the bagua kobu step.

studying aikido and learning the aiki taiso, no sensei i encountered ever explained to me the very basics of how to exchange my weight from leg to leg while performing an irimi-tenkan movement. thus i found myself unable to properly set up correctly for any technique requiring this movement, resulting in a frequent use of extra and unnecessary force. i didn't understand this exactly, i just knew it felt wrong.

the kobu step is intensely important in bagua, being practiced hundreds of times while practicing any forms. within days of beginning to practice bagua i was working on my taiso and realized that when i was doing irimi-tenkan i was using the kobu step. it didn't make my movement look wrong, in fact it was comfortable for the first time ever. i could flow. my knees didn't hurt. soon after, practicing technique in aikido class i realized that this slight change in my movement was beginning to repair my technique. i was able to use far less force.

example two: roushou.

roushou is bagua's pushing hands-like practice. in the way i have been trained in it, its a bit more overtly "martial" from the onset. anyway, what roushou teaches, at least as i've experienced it, is how to directly feel an opponent's energy, using it to direct one's movements in a way that redirects their energy to one's advantage in the exchange. adding this practice onto the practice of the forms, one finds it reasonably easy to use one's whole body in this regard. and there's the rub.

in practicing aikido, i've never encountered a sensei who taught (at least overtly) how to use one's whole body in a technique. receiving attacks suddenly became a lot easier, so did redirecting them with minimal added force. kaeshi-waza now makes a lot more sense to me.

anyway, those are two examples and minor ones at that. i've only been practicing bagua for about 6 months. hell, i've only been doing aikido for about 4 years. but i'm finding doors being opened for me left and right by this combined study. and frankly, bagua is filling in gaps in my aikido training. sometimes gaps i didn't even know were there. have i left the aikido fold because of this? i don't think so. in fact, i feel like i'm entering it more fully. i'm quite unexpectedly finding phrases like "using the big toe" (something both osensei and shioda-sensei talked about) a lot more clear.

have i reached some sort of aiki enlightenment then? hell no. i know that i am a rank beginner in both arts. but i can not deny the facts of my experience. and i think this is the key to evolution. i think when we look into the history of martial traditions, we find closed off perspectives that do not recognize the similarities between arts, and do not allow arts to mingle and learn from one another, only near the death of arts. it is the stagnation that texts like the tao te ching warn against. the stiffness of impending death.

i don't think aikido is in any danger of dying because i have faith that we won't close outselves off. a cursory look at the increasing number of shihan who are opening up to other arts to fill in the gaps in their aikido gives us proof of this.

we might think we are preserving the purity of the art by not allowing influences to circulate. but, etymologically, to be "pure" means to be in the original state of balance. neither too stiff nor too soft.

jeff.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #119
GeneC
United_States
Re: Evolution?

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I am glad that aikido is not homogenized, because that would surely kill creativity within it, and destroy the possibility of change and development.
This is very interesting, could you elaborate?

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman

Old 12-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #120
GeneC
United_States

My $.02, definitions and a little history may be helpful.

We have evolution , revolution and mutation. Everything in Nature has evolved thru history as an improvement to survive. Man's brain grew and man put on clothes and had less need for hair. Man got smarter and started gathering and growing crops and livestock, lessening the need to hunt exclusively. Man got even smarter and developed technology to invent tools and machines so he wouldn't have to work so hard and also increase his survivability. So, evolution = improvement.
Imo, to infuse BJJ or anything else to Aikido is simply MUtation. Not an improvement, just different. T
Revolution is a radical move that implies discord, not even applicable to Aikido.

My question is, With all the different 'styles' of Aikido, IS it evolving, or is it mutating? Isn't Aikido already perfect? Didn't Osensei perfect it? If so, then why the need for so many different styles? Or is Aikido simply the means to an end and it's the end that's perfect?

Last edited by GeneC : 12-06-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #121
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
My $.02, definitions and a little history may be helpful.

Revolution is a radical move that implies discord, not even applicable to Aikido.
well with inflation the way it is $ .02 is worth less and less all the time. just joshin' ya....

But seriously. I agree with the first assertion you make about definitions being helpful. So here is the definition of revolution. http://www.answers.com/topic/revolution

With the exception of the 2nd political version of the word, it is an apt definition of aikido training. And it is a definiton for the changing of the seasons and other natural 'phenom'.....which,when applied, that is, the naturalistic definition of the word, places aikido in the land of 'perfect as it stands'. Keeping in mind that nature thrives in diversity and perishes in mono-culture.

The only 'thing' that needs to change in my viewpoint is the awakening of an individual to fully realize the nature of practice. So, leave it alone and keep working on the problem as it stands. Mathematically speaking, of course. My own 2.00 euro's ..

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 12-06-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: redundancy er rather repeating

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems

Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #122
Buck
United_States

I liked what Jennifer said, "The only 'thing' that needs to change in my viewpoint is the awakening of an individual to fully realize the nature of practice."

Has sports like Tennis evolved or is it really the athlete who has evolved. That in its self is a universal, be it a martial art from Japan or a sport from England that was first a game played on the grass by delicate blue-bloods.

I don't know if mutation is correct. Maybe it is more like different interpretations of a work. Like conductors do with different composer pieces of music, maybe. Or how sculptors shape clay. That is how I see it. Is it right? I don't know. Does it matter, maybe, maybe not, and I think that is the question. Does it matter that there are different styles of Aikido?

That brings us back to what Jennifer said.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #123
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Has sports like Tennis evolved or is it really the athlete who has evolved. That in its self is a universal, be it a martial art from Japan or a sport from England that was first a game played on the grass by delicate blue-bloods.
Sure it has. Every aspect of every sports has evolved. Look at the Olympics. Every aspect of practice has changed, even down to the stretching(Physiologists have discovered that static stretching,especially cold, causes weakened muscles instread of stretched tendons and ligs. That "motion stretching"is far more safe and effective). Computers has made it possible to record and analyze every movement of an athlete and for a tailor made program just for them. Plyometrics has evolved athletes into better performance. Supllements have made for better performance thru more efficient metabolism, etc. Equipment has evolved to make an athlete jump higher, run faster/farther, hit harder, etc. So yeah, sports ( and just about everything else) has evolved.

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
I don't know if mutation is correct. Maybe it is more like different interpretations of a work. Like conductors do with different composer pieces of music, maybe. Or how sculptors shape clay. That is how I see it. Is it right? I don't know. Does it matter, maybe, maybe not, and I think that is the question. Does it matter that there are different styles of Aikido?
Ahhh, I guess it depends if one is 'inside' Aikido or not, because trying to infuse a totally Yang kickboxing or Tae Kwon Do to Aikido is a mutation or mongrelizing. mishmash, or hodgepodge. Now, infusing T'ai Ch'i, for example'd be a hybrid. I really don't know if that Sensei's style of Aikido is a hybrid of Osensei's Aikido or another Sensei's Aikido. AFA does it matter for different styles? IMO, when some folks say, "Hey that's wrong, do it like this, or that's wrong, we call it this." Then yes, it matters. I thinkm ther should be some kind of standardization, if only in terminlogy only.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #124
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I don't worry too much about defining what something is or isn't. Aikido and all martial arts are only concepts and methodologies, they can really "be anything".

What we have is ourselves and our understanding of self.

"know they self, and unto they self be true".

Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #125
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
Sure it has. Every aspect of every sports has evolved.

it matter for different styles? IMO, when some folks say, "Hey that's wrong, do it like this, or that's wrong, we call it this." Then yes, it matters. I thinkm ther should be some kind of standardization, if only in terminlogy only.
Tennis is stilled played by hitting a ball over a net. Soccer is played kicking a ball up and down a field into a goal. What evolves is the player, the equipment, the rules, but not the game. The game is an abstract thing, how can that evolve. Aikido is principles and all the stuff Kevin said. How can that evolved physically the phenotype of the creature. Darwin was looking at creatures who he felt where related that evolved, but didn't see the evolution take place. He didn't look at creatures and said, hey that creature de-evolved into a lower form of a creature. He should have been looking at human history.

Point being, Darwin notes things he never seen before on a small isolated island, like marine lizards, which are complete different then those land locked lizards he is familiar with who would drown if they jumped into the water. Then there is the God thingy with that. Now, with Aikido it is made up of a combined use of the laws of physics that already exist that in relation to the structure of a human being are applied in a designated manner. Do laws like these evolve, no. Has gravity evolved, no just in the way we defy it.

For Aikido to evolve the physics that pertain to Aikido has to evolve. As I said above that doesn't happen. The laws don't evolve. O'Sensei took existing natural laws and arranged them in manner of a specific use. You can put together or apply a different design, arrangement, or use of those laws taking and give it a new label to distinguish it from other like things. That is done for our own human use.

Where it matters is in politics, human ego, etc. in the human mind. This is the place and matter, where Aikido evolves, it is in how we see and deal with creating and dealing with the politics, our egos, labels, customs, beliefs, intellect, strategies, etc. and not the physics it's self.

Aikido and other martial arts draw on the same physics, but it is our egos that dictates everything else.

Last edited by Buck : 12-07-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Closed Thread