Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Kensho Furuya Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2007-03-07 09:20:53 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.aikidocenterla.com/

Kensho Furuya sensei of the Aikido Center of Los Angeles has passed away. According to Tom Williams on the Aikido Iaido Kodo mailing list, "Last night after class, Sensei suffered a heart attack. Despite immediate attempts at CPR, and swift medical attention, he could not be saved."

My condolences go to his family, friends, students, and loved ones.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Kensho Furuya Sensei Passes Away

Though we never met, we did share some very nice e-mails with each other. Condolences to Rev. Furuya's family and all those affilated with him.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
crbateman

My deepest condolences to his family, friends and students.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

My condolences to his family, friends and students. His television appearances showed aikido in a positive light.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Condolences and best wishes to all concerned. I remember his time here on this site...while somewhat rocky, I appreciated his contributions, and have missed him since then. I can only imagine what his family, friends, and students are going through. Having lost someone special myself this week, I understand a little bit what they are going through.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

On behalf of myself and all the members of the Shudokan Aikido Association, I offer our sincere condolences to Furuya Sensei's family, friends and dojo. Our local Philosophy of Aikido Study group used his book, Kodo Ancient Ways, for our daily meditations in the months of January and February. His contributions to the Aikido community will be greatly missed.
Jorge Garcia
SAA President
Houston, Texas

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I am so glad had the opportunity to exchange poetry with Furuya Sensei. My sympathies...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States

A great loss, not only to aikido, but to the mankind. My condolences to his family and students. He was an excellent role model.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
akiy

The following was just posted on the Aikido-Iaido-Kodo mailing list.

Quote:
Yesterday evening, while observing the advanced Aikido class in the Aikido Center of Los Angeles, Kensho Furuya Sensei collapsed suddenly and without warning. He was taken to the hospital, but did not regain consciousness, and passed away. Sensei was in his dojo, among his friends and students, and was in good spirits in his final moments. He passed quickly, and did not appear to suffer.

ACLA students will be getting together at the dojo this evening at 6:30 p.m. Reverend Kojima of the Zenshuji Soto Zen Mission will be there to conduct a short service and to help with arrangements. Further details will be made public after this evening's meeting.

Many thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

-- Bill Allen
-- 2nd Dan, Aikido Center of Los Angeles

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

I was hoping to train at his dojo one day. He was an excellent Aikidoist and very dedicated to the art. He was also very sincere and serious about Aikido. Fortunately for us, we live in the age of DVD's, which will allow us to continue to receive at least some benefit from his years of experience. I am going to one day buy the whole collection. I wish his family and students the best.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

My condolences as well.

I'm sorry he disappeared from Aikiweb so quickly. I'd have liked to have had him discussing different topics as openly as our other senior instructors here such as Peter Goldsbury.

Alas...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

My deepest respect, compassion, and condolences. I enjoyed his tapes, his book, and his brief exchange here on Aiki Web. I have several friends who trained with him and always spoke with the highest regard.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States

My deepest condolences to Furuya sensei's students and friends.

What a true martial arts scholar and role model.

I watched his videos to the point of completely wearing them out and have read his book, Kodo: Ancient Ways, many times.

I had the wonderful opportunity to train at his dojo a few times, take instruction from him, and even have lunch with him that lasted many hours as we spoke one on one about many things. The highlight for me was after lunch when he encourged me to keep training saying that I have "great talent and great potential in Aikido". Wow.

I am so very happy to have met him and have that memory. How lucky are his students who have so many more memories to cherish and keep in their heart.

Let's all try to live up to his ideal of a martial artist; especially Aikidoists. This will insure that his spirit never passes on.

Peace.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

My condolences to family and students; it is truly like a light has burned out in the aikido world.

In gassho,

Mark
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
Jerry Miller

United_States

I could not believe it when saw the title of this thread. This world is a better place because Reverend Furuya was here. I also feel that Aikido was graced by his contributions as well. He will be missed.

Jerry Miller
Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States

I was reading through Furuya sensei's "daily messages" from the Aikido Center of Los Angeles" dojo website and came across this. It is from April of last year:

"If I die today, at least I can say that I did a good Memorial Service for O'Sensei and seminar and I have left behind many good students true to the Path of Aikido - that is all I need for this life. Many, many thanks!

I often see people who come and go always telling me that they are looking for happiness and freedom. If you cannot find it within your own heart, you will never find it at all. . . ."

He passed on in his dojo, watching his students train, and doing what he loved most-Aikido and teaching.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
Di Au
Dojo: Westminster Aikikai
United_States

Furuya Sensei's passing is a great loss to the Aikido community. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, and students.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
Nicholas Kiritz
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo/Georgetown University Aikikai
United_States

I have known Furuya Sensei since the mid-1980's. He was
-a great scholar of all things old and Japanese,
-an authority on swords and swordsmanship (including a 6th dan in Battodo, which
he ceased to publicly acknowledge about 10 years ago, since he said the art was
taken over by Yakuza),
-an extremely devoted exponent of orthodox martial arts technique and training methods,
-and a very entertaining storyteller and writer (see Kodo: Ancient Ways).

He was much more connected than most of us with the rest of the martial arts community,
having written columns, appeared in magazines and television and been personal friends
with many big names including Jackie Chan.

He was a Zen priest and an inveterate gossip - and always enjoyable company.

He was my friend and instructor in both aikido and zen. I only wish that I had
had the opportunity to study his knowledge of the Japanese sword - his true passion.

Please join me in a moment of Shikan-taza (just sitting zazen) for this remarkable
man.

Warmest regards,
-Nick Kiritz
Instructor, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Chief Instructor, Georgetown University Aikikai

Last edited by Nicholas Kiritz : 03-07-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Clarify authorship

Nick
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #19
Duarh

What sad news. I too looked forward to visiting Furuya-sensei in his dojo 'one day in the future'. I only wish I had taken the opportunity to do that when I was last in L.A.. I never met him, except online, but his writings on aikiweb and elsewhere influenced my practice and were always a true pleasure to read. His devotion to aikido and teaching was inspiring even viewed from a distance.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #20
akiy

I have just gotten word that Furuya sensei's funeral will take place at the Zenshuji temple on Saturday, March 17th at 7:30pm. Once again, my condolences to everyone who knew him.

-- Jun

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Although we never met in person, or even communicated very extensively on the internet (twice giving me great advice, and once thwacking me for being whiny and misguided - all valuable), through even those few encounters Kensho Furuya struck me as a great aikido instructor and thinker who has led a devoted and remarkable life. I can only imagine, then, the impact he had on his students, with whom he trained and spoke every day. They are very fortunate.

I have no doubt his students will go on to do amazing things. His book remains one of the best I have ever read on the subject of aikido and budo. It sounds like he has achieved just the legacy he spoke of seeking.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

I honestly thought that there was a typo in the thread name. I couldn't believe it.

My condolences go out to Furuya Sensei's family, friends, and students. In the short time that he posted here he exhibited a wealth of knowledge about a great many things to do with Aikido.

I think it is interesting that he left Aikiweb sometime ago after being a bit put off by some of the postings here, and right now we have a similar a situation with Dennis Hooker Sensei.

Sometimes death becomes a good reminder for us to cherish who we have while we have them.

Gambatte.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 03-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States
very sad news

Our condolences to the family and members of the dojo

Jim Mc Coy
Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
akiy

Here is the obituary for Furuya sensei that was printed in the Los Angeles Times:

http://www.legacy.com/latimes/Obitua...sonId=86782746

-- Jun

Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
grasshopper73
RIP Kensho Furuya

I know I am way late with this , but I am saddened to find out tonight that he passed away last March.

I really enjoy reading his book Kodo Ancient Ways.

Rest in Peace.