Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #26
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: A response to the articles by Stanley Pranin - Martial arts in a state of decline

Quote:
Inocencio Maramba wrote: View Post
Stanley Pranin wrote "An End to the Collusion" in 1992.
"Martial Arts in a State of Decline" was written in 2006.
is that just over 4 years.....?

Gone up a lot in that time......

Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #27
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Thougths of Tony the cumudgeon?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Mediterranean. Togas optional!
Been there done that, Malta can be quite nice when you walk down the gut...... Genoa, not a bad place, prefer Trieste 'cause me mum comes from there, Venice a tourist trap, but worth a see, don't use the gondalas, they are a rip off!!!

Gib (Gibraltar) is full of rock apes and pissed up matelots......
costa dell sol costa a lot......

Yep Henry , looks like Reading......

Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #28
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: A response to the articles by Stanley Pranin - Martial arts in a state of decline

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
is that just over 4 years.....?

Gone up a lot in that time......
Doesn't time fly when you are meditating

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #29
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Doesn't time fly when you are meditating

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
aaaauuuuummmmmm sigh!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #30
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
As for igorant halfwits like me what the hell does Temet nosce mean?
It means "fish'n'chips" in Greek.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #31
DH
United_States

Quote:
Now let me see .... 135 Euros per day per student for 6 hours of how to be strong in martial arts.
Works out at ...... wait for it....... cogs a wirring.... yep, about £14 an hour, that's not bad money Henry!!...
Duduct bank transfer fees from euros to Dollars
Deduct flights
Deduct food
Deduct hotel
Deduct hall rental fees
Deduct hours and hours at the computer processing applications and emailing
Deduct whole days of travel time
Then deduct pain in the ass time of traveling anymore fees.
You will quickly change your mind about just how wonderful this all is.

Quote:
How many students would we need to make it worthwile?
Fancy opening a ki shop?......
The real question is why would people come .....to see you?
Why do people come to these events Tony
Word- Of - Mouth and repeat attendees. If you really have anything worth learning, martial artists know and hear about it from other martial artists. People consider this different and vital. Men who have it are sought after.
Do you think you could fill a room?....wait.....More than once?.

You on the other hand present an illogical argument

On the one hand you say this stuff is rubbish...thus defaming a range of Martial Art teachers who have judged it as valuable...even vital..

Then on the other hand, you say you have it and anyone can get it from practice
THAT argument once again defames all of the many martial artists who consider it different and vital to their practice as you once again ...by default told them they were wankers (you just argued THEY didn't get it in their practice)

So you've pretty much just told everyone here and in the other thread (people that cross train MT, MMA, BJJ, FMA and Koryu) that they're idiots, and would not know real martial arts if they fell on them.
Since you are so concerned for me and others that you have to interject, Tony. How would you go about presenting THAT argument in a seminar?
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 01-27-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #32
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

And the irony is, Tony, if you are half the man you set yourself up to be here on the web, you would love the way Dan fights. Maybe not the man, maybe not the method, maybe not the people who attend, but you would love the way he fights.

And that's why it is actually quite sad you dont want to try.

Unless, of course, all the stuff you keep saying about yourself is just more noise in cyberspace. But that would even be sadder.

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 01-27-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling, what else

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #33
lbb
United_States

"There's nothing here but men, men men men..."

The completion is left as an exercise for the student.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #34
DH
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Not really Mary
If you meant "Men men men men men" as in the song....
This stuff is more cut and dry to me, and I suspect Tony as well. Not so much a chest beating contest as just a debate over real practical application. SInce Tony sees it as some woo woo thing when It is just a better way to do Martial arts to me.
All the best
Dan .

Last edited by DH : 01-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #35
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:

Kendo?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #36
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Who mentioned Socrates? I've been reading too fast. But sorry, guys we're like totally snowed in here in New England and I'll probably inflict more of my outdated (or not?) memories on whoever is willing to read them for the rest of the day unless I decide to go walking around with the aid of a couple of cross country ski poles.

(Yard not really big enough to ski)

Am I not in a Vulcan mind meld with at least some of you, though?

Socrates, who even entered modern American culture in the excellent teen age movie, Bill and Ted's excellent adventure.....
Popped into my head as I dozed, wondering if I would again enter the fray of Aiki Web controversy.

Tony as Socrates who walked around Athens asking questions and, (shudder) making people think.

and then hubbie dear, whom I've known for thirty years and can safely use the cutesy expression worthy of a true bunny rabbit....goes out the door to catch the bus to work at the bottom of the hill.....says oh wow so that's Tomiki aikido, but why does it remind me of what I know of Yamada Sensei, then he says, but don't get in trouble for quoting me.

But I have to. I just posted on another thread that in the old NYAikikai there were IP and kokyu ryoku and it was and I'm sure still is a very solid dojo.

My husband is fascinated by judo and delighted to know by long distance someone whose Aikido is descended from Tomiki.

Yes, by all means bring up the old threads for the new people and for those like me who were asleep in caves or tied up with other aspects of daily life during the years the articles and posts were on these topics.

Please indulge this curmudgeoness, for one.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #37
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Not really Mary
When the word "men" keeps being used, I don't see how a non-man person can be expected to see it as anything else.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #38
thisisnotreal

Quote:
When the word "men" keeps being used, I don't see how a non-man person can be expected to see it as anything else.
Women are men. Just with an extra dash of the Wo-Wo-
<runs for the hills>

J

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #39
Basia Halliop
Canada

If I read 'men' I interpret it as meaning men... figure if the writer meant something else they would have written something else... so I tend to skip whatever's said as clearly it's specifically not speaking to me... woudn't want to butt in on a private conversation and all...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #40
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Mary and Basia,
Some women might feel left out of posts that refer to "men," but IMO that is being nit-picky and can keep a person from seeing the larger message.

"Men," in the keyboarding hands of older-generation writers, still is used to mean "people" and "humanity." I wouldn't take it at face value as meaning male-type people, just as I don't take online personas to be the true faces of the real-life people behind them.

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff about gender-PC language here. It's just a coupla guys talkin' to each other in Guy Jive. I'll be happy to translate the above exchanges into gender-neutral dialect if you like. Remember the scene with Barbara Billingsly in "Airplane!"?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #41
akiy

Thread closed due to too many disrespectful posts.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread