Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
David Yap
Malaysia
Kisaburo Ohsawa sensei

I couldn't help wondering whether the resurrection of the thread of "Kisaburo Ohsawa sensei" on the "Voices of Experience" section has something to do with maai in view of the passing of another aikido's great of his era.

While reading the posts of the past year, suddenly the Zen story of two monks meeting a young lady while on a journey came to mind. The story goes that two monks, one older and one younger, chanced upon a young lady who hesitated to cross a stream without wetting her clothes. Without a word, the older monk lifted the young lady on his shoulders and carried her across the stream and put her down on the other bank. Then, the monks carried on their journey without uttering a word among themselves. After a while the perturbed younger monk couldn't hold but questioned the elder monk about his action with the young lady. The elder monk's answer was, "I left her at the river bank long ago, why are you still carrying her?".

Last edited by David Yap : 05-26-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Kisaburo Ohsawa sensei

It could be that Niall brought the thread back up because it is exactly twenty years ago that Osawa Kisaburo Sensei passed away on May 26, 1991.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Thanks, Diana.

David if I write about Kisaburo Osawa Sensei I am writing about Kisaburo Osawa Sensei. It is not code for Koichi Tohei Sensei or anybody else. I saw your mother died recently and so I’ll put your comment down to grief. I’m sorry for your loss.

My first aikido teacher knew Tohei Sensei and I have met him and I respect him. If I want to write about him I will use his name and I will do it in a thread about him. If you want to write about him I suggest you do the same.

Last edited by niall : 05-27-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: link added

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
David Yap
Malaysia

My apology, to Niall and anyone, for my indiscreet post.

David Y
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Thanks for that generous apology David. No problem.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Niall.
Well here is one person who wasn't aware of him and am I glad you did.

I read a bit about him and then found some videos of him. Inside I just felt wow!

Something about him and I even felt like 'that's someone I would love to have met'

I shall introduce the vids of him to my students and we shall call him respectfully 'Mr Cool.'

Regards.G.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

+2

Really nice technique. Glad to have had my attention drawn to him.