Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-13-2000, 04:57 PM   #1
Nick
United_States
Do symbol

As some of you know, I am an Aikido beginner, having been one for 7 months (has it been that long?). However, I have noticed something about my ukemi.

My dojo does ukemi, every class. Starts with basic stuff, than slightly more complicated (jumping roll with hands on gi, etc). While doing these, I can feel my ukemi getting better while uke. One time (Tuesday night, actually) we were 'congratulating' someone on their birthday (a yonkyu), and we did so by extensive ryo-kata randori. I ran at him, as the others did, but when he moved and blended, he grabbed onto one sleeve of my gi and did not let go. Without being able to roll, I landed in (what I consider) almost a perfect sutemi. Now, why is this odd? Because my dojo very rarely does sutemi practice, and this was my first one.

Odd how things snap when it comes down to the line. If I had tried to roll out of that, I would have hurt myself and perhaps nage.

It changed my perspective on Aikido a great deal.

Thought I'd share,

-Nick
Old 07-13-2000, 05:59 PM   #2
Tim Haffner
Japan
Thumbs down

Congratulations Nick! It might be said that you've had an Aiki moment. This is a clear sign that you're internalizing your training and are developing an inutitive sense. Keep training wholeheartedly and you'll have more of these realizations.

Tim Haffner
meadatim@gate.net
"All energy flows at the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy Him." Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 07-14-2000, 10:11 AM   #3
BC
Nick:

I had almost the exact thing happen to me after I had been practicing 7 months! I totally surprised myself, and even nage was left slack-jawed! Definitely one of those aiki moments. May you have many more!

-BC
Old 07-14-2000, 12:31 PM   #4
Nick
United_States
my nage didn't have time to be slack jawed (he was rushed almost immediately after dropping me) but one of my sensei noticed it and smiled. Indeed, that was an aiki moment.

Kanpai,

-Nick