Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2001, 02:25 PM   #1
Nick
United_States
so, tell me about yourself...

these threads come up every few months, but since we have a few new people since the last one, I figured I'd start a new one.

Where are all you crazy folks from? What organization are you in? How long have you studied? What other things do you like?

... and so on. I ask that people fill this out because things have a tendency to get rather heated in here, and it's good to at least know who you're yelling at .

I guess I'll start... My name is Nick Porter. I'm probably the youngest (14) and probably also the most vocal (look at the number of posts... oy). I've studied aikido for about a year and a half now. I'm a leo who likes poetry and long walks on the beach... whoops, wrong forum.

Heh, so how about folks?

Nick
Old 07-27-2001, 03:52 PM   #2
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Ok, I'll bite. My name is at the bottom of the post. I'm twice as old as Nick and not nearly as vocal

I'm an active duty member of the United States Air Force, serving this wonderful country as a Space and Missile Maintenance Officer. When I'm not performing my official duties, I teach beginner's Aikido classes for the base Youth Center (adults and children).

I try to attend as many seminars as my work will allow. Between the Air Force, teaching the Aikido classes, and working on my Masters Degree; I have little free time. Oh, and my wife says I spend entirely too much time reading the posts on Aikiweb

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:31 PM   #3
Kevin
Dojo: Aiki Zenshin Dojo, Aikido of Fremont
United_States
Smile Hello, my name is Kevin.

Hey, Wassup.

Hi my name is Kevin. I am a teenager like Nick. I'm 15, almost 16. Almost ready to drive. Anyway, I live in California. I have been training for (well I lost count of how long) about 6 maybe 7 years. Started when I was nine. I one of the few old kids still at the dojo.

My interest are computers, music(mp3's), games, anime(Japanese Animation to be precise), and web design (my site is a competitor of AikiWeb), but I truly admire this site. Absolutely amazing. My site is coming along and still need tons of improvements. www.aikidouniverse.com

I would talk to you about my social life, but that would bore you. In other words, I don't have a social life.

Kevin
www.aikidouniverse.com
Old 07-28-2001, 01:37 AM   #4
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
damien here
just on adulthood (not mature wise though) at 20 years of age (just beginning to feel old too....got a long way to go yet i think).
Im from australia, and study iwama style aikido from micheal marelli sensei, a student and frequent uchi-deshi of saito sensei. Im a 5th kyu, and ready to do my 4th kyu test in september. My sensei has opened a new independant dojo which has broken away a little from the organisation in australia, he is focusing now 50-50 with taijitsu and bukiwasa....1 hour weapons, 1 hour open hand a class. Very interesting. Uni Student studying electrical engineering and have interests in working on projects to give aid in 3rd world countries.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 07-28-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Lightbulb Re: so, tell me about yourself...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
these threads come up every few months, but since we have a few new people since the last one, I figured I'd start a new one.

Where are all you crazy folks from? What organization are you in? How long have you studied? What other things do you like?

Nick
...there's a permanent fix to this ...everybody could fill in the blanks on their User Profile so we don't have to revisit this every few months! (....just a suggestion ...some people get kinda hinky when they're asked to fill those things in!)

...here's my schpeel:

My name is right there on the left and below ... I live in Gilbert Arizona, just a few miles east of Phoenix ...I train at the Martial Arts Center in Chandler AZ, it's affiliated with Aikibujutsu Tanren Kenkyukai (Aiki-Buken for short), our Shihan is Toshishiro Obata Kaiso, the chief instructor in AZ is Gene Hauenstein Sensei. I've been training for 7+ years, hold the rank of nidan, and I'm an assistant instructor there.

....other interest: married & raising two pre-teenage boys ...SCUBA diving ...playing the bass guitar (just a beginner) ...jump in on Shinkendo (Japanese Swordsmenship) class a couple times a week ...very actice in my church.

I work at Boeing Helicopter in Mesa. I'm an engineer in the electrical engineering dept., we build the AH-64D Apache Attack Helicopter.

That's about it!

Last edited by Brian Vickery : 07-28-2001 at 12:16 PM.

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 07-28-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
cbrf4zr2
All you wanted to know about me.

Oops - helps if you actually get the address right.

Last edited by cbrf4zr2 : 07-29-2001 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2001, 11:36 PM   #7
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
I'm 21, and attending college here in Columbus. I'm about halfway through a Computer Science degree. I have no clue what I'm doing after I graduate though....

I've been training since January 3rd of this year and am a 6th kyu. My favorite color is yellow.

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 07-29-2001, 09:49 AM   #8
guest1234
Alright, maybe this is because three days after reading sentence as a courtmartial president I still have a splitting headache and deep concern over the openess of today's youth, BUT...
I think it's probably OK for the 40 year olds, and even the male college students, to be so forthcoming. I have concern, however, over females of a wider age range and anyone who lists 'passing algebra' or 'getting a driver's license' listing too much personal info on this or any other web site. I know from your posts that you younger members are intelligent beyond your years, but still---you are in essence putting your personal info and home location on a martial arts page...if I were a paedophile (and we've already established that even they do Aikido) where would I look?
If you put so much info out there, it is not hard for some one of bad intent to email you, even referencing someone else from this web as a friend of theirs---please be careful who you talk to.
OK, off soap box, back to the medicine chest for more motrin.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:28 PM   #9
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Name: Greg Jennings

Employer: Lockheed Martin

Family Status: Married 12 years. Daughter 6.5, Son 8.5.

Years Training: 6.5

Other Pursuits: Archery, skeet, rimfire benchrest.

Greg Jennings
Old 07-29-2001, 09:34 PM   #10
cbrf4zr2
Ironic isn't it Colleen -

with the info you've given *I* could find out all about you...I mean how many female (I assume) court martial presidents are there - on the East Coast that were involved in the proceedings - in the past three days. Not to mention the IPs are logged on here - and it probably wouldn't take too much hacking to extract them - then you run a list of which IPs belong to which servers - hack those to see what addresses were handed out - and what phone number they were dialed from. (if they were dialups - if not it's easier.) Once you have the phone number or static IP it's a simple trace...the point is - if anyone really wants to know anything about you - they uh...already do. Me personally - heck if someone wants to come find me let 'em. I'd like to see how my Aikido works...of course that's after I've already got a 16ga at their neck for coming in my house...

PS - I'm 27 and available ladies - pictures on the website...Heck I may even post a map to my place - LOL

Last edited by cbrf4zr2 : 07-29-2001 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:49 AM   #11
mj
Quote:
Originally posted by ca

I know from your posts that you younger members are intelligent beyond your years, but still...
Well, thanks Colleen!

Old 07-30-2001, 02:17 PM   #12
mj
PS...
as a parent of 3, I am not a paedophile, I'm a paedophobe

Old 07-30-2001, 03:47 PM   #13
guest1234
mj, how DO you make all those funny faces? Ed, I figured you were at least of voting age, and me, I'm old enough to scare off the would be muggers with a welcoming smile. It's the teen males and the females slightly older (ie, those who still might believe what they read in email) I worry about. Having already tried email dating, I know better But if someone wants to track me down, I at least want the hacker to work for it.
And unfortuantely, there are probably quite a few courtmartials that ended on Fri on the East coast, even a few with female presidents. In slightly more than 24 hours, I heard four young people with previously very bright futures talk about how someone they trusted destroyed their lives...
Old 08-02-2001, 10:53 PM   #14
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Talking

ouch ca... sorry bout scarying ya over the post about personal stuff... I know a lot of teens think them invincable ( heheh cant spell!!!!!!!!!!!!!) like me but hey that is being young. but that was invicablity was washed away after watching o-sensi thrown at age 79 on a video!! anyhow i rarely give out personal info unless I trust the people and here I trust most of ya Maybe not JIM though or maybe so... but ill try not to give to much out if it makes yall feel better!!

hi my name is Dallas A. I live in CA I am 16 been studying aikido for 6 years i am vocal with my mouth but I read mostly on Aikiweb!

hobbies are Aikido, computer games ( get Myth the total codex), listen to mp3 and driving to aikido! i also work at a farmers market!!

well good night

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 08-03-2001, 03:45 AM   #15
Chris Latkowski
Dojo: Kyoto aikikai
hey hey kiddos!!!!!! haha, ahhhhhh... forget it.
this forum thing is still new and scary to me, but ill spill me guts.
um. well im a guy and im 19, yeah iknow more teens. i moveing to japan from the US i gonna be living there for three years; im taking up a extensive study of aikido, jodo, kyudo. i hope after the three year period i will train alittle at saito's up at iwama dojo. it seems like the cool aiki pilgramige <----(i hope to god thats looks like a word.)....
im gonna cut to the chase here; im gonna be living in kyoto for three years im going with my school, i have already known the 3 people comming with me and frankly i cant stand them for long, i need to meet some descent people when im there--oyeah, i cant speak the language either, im going cold turkey) soooo ill go mad not being able to talk some with cool people, does anyone know any place's in kyoto to meet americans or english speakers?? or better is anyone going to kyoto soon???? o well, probly lost cause, k...bye all!
Old 08-03-2001, 02:42 PM   #16
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Smile

Hi All!!

In this great family of Aikido, i´m the first who place a message from South America,...

I´m about to finish College, i´m just 25 years, and study Industrial Engineering in Los Andes University in Bogotá Colombia, a wonderfull country, but few people know how beautifull it is because in the T.V. they just show the bad things,... When you want, come here and you will be welcome in the country and of course in the dojo,..

I have been traning Aikido for 4 years with Luis Fernando Aldana and Yesid Sierra Senseis, and i´m now second Kyu and prepparing the next exam,....

I dont usually write here, but is good to start doing it!!!

Bye!!!

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 08-03-2001, 03:41 PM   #17
mj
Hi Goye.
I've read a lot about Colombia lately, up here in Scotland.
You look after yourself and have a good life, friend.
Hope the country, beautiful that it is, calms down for you all.

Old 08-03-2001, 06:20 PM   #18
guest1234
Chris,
I wouldn't worry too much about meeting Americans in order to talk with someone; I'll bet you will find plenty of Japanese students your age with a good command of English. But if you have a chance, why not grab a tape set from your local bookstore on 'getting by in Japanese' or a similar title. Usually a hour or so long, with a small phrase booklet, they quickly teach you a few basics like "please", "yes", "no", "I need a bigger size", "I'd like a chocolate shake"...you know, survival stuff. Might be able to impress the pretty girl in line in front of you somewhere if she thinks you are trying to learn her language, so not a total waste of time...you could even practice on the 14 hour flight, and headsets are a great way to ignore your travelling companions.
Old 08-04-2001, 12:34 PM   #19
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Chris,
Might be able to impress the pretty girl in line in front of you somewhere if she thinks you are trying to learn her language, so not a total waste of time...
Another thing you could do to make life easier for yourself is learn katakana, the phoenitic alphabet used to 'borrow' foreign (almost always english) words in japanese.
Its actually pretty easy to learn (unlike kanji), then you'll be able to pick out a lot of words of english in, say, restaurant menus etc.

Sean
Old 08-18-2001, 07:55 AM   #20
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Cool Re: so, tell me about yourself...

Hi all,

I've been posting all over this site before I got to which should be the first, I guess.

Anyways, much like Goye, I may be the only Caribbean Aikidoka posting on this site.

Here are the stats:

Name: Larry Camejo
Profession: Corporate I.T. Consultant (self employed)
Aikido Style: Shodokan
How long?: 6.5 years
Dojo: Trinidad and Tobago Aikido Club
Other Interests: Philosophy, Psychology, Computer technology, environmental protection.

Pet projects: 1)Writing a screenplay based on ki in aikido, 2)Understanding the enigma of human spiritual evolution.

Hope I didn't talk too much.
See you guys around.

Masakatsu Agatsu
L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 08-18-2001, 08:48 AM   #21
mariko nakamura
Dojo: Dobunkan Japan
Hello to everyone. My name is Mick and Im 27 years now. I just bought a computer about 2 weeks ago and Im very happy to find this website. Im originally from upstate New York but I moved to Japan about 7 years ago. I didnt come here for Aikido although I became immediately interested after seeing an embukai. Im now married to a woman named Mariko and we have a 3 year old son named Kazashi.
my interests are reading,(mostly Lao Tsu and other things like that), playing guitar, wood carving and of course Aikido. I try to train every day for 2-3 hours but this summer Im really busy with work. Oh yeah, Im a carpenter and Im studying japanese posts and beams which is much different than the states. Im working with 3 old japanese craftsmen one young guy.
Pretty much my life is Aikido. My sensei is pretty awesome. His name os Ryuji Sakamoto, 6 dan shihan. He became shihan at 4 dan which is pretty unusual. In my dojo, Aikido is deeply rooted in philosophy(kind of- "Aikido is not a philosophy"). We train how to move our bodies, perfect our timing, quiet our minds and release our ego. But mostly we train how to live Aiki which is bound to everything in life.
Thats about it.
one more thing, Im a dead head!!!!
Dear Chris, Kyoto is a very cool town. Its probably my favorite place anywhere. Dont worry about not meeting any cool gaijins because were everywhere. Theres always cool things to do there. Kyoto has great raves.
The language wont be a problem. Definately get a book. Nothing fancy. Just beginner stuff. Find a Japanese class(go to the town hall to look) immediately. Try all the food.
Ive got no more room left. Peace

Mick
Old 08-29-2001, 02:58 PM   #22
Fudo_Tai
Dojo: Spokane Budo Circle (Various Parks)
Greetings Everyone.

I hope no one minds an outsider posting here, as I mainly train in Goju Ryu (Hard/Gentle Method of) Karate, which I have been training in for a good portion of my life.

I have had a bit of experience with Ki-Society Aikido, as they were kind enough to open, and share their Dojo with us.
We used to get together in one big class during the weekends, and cross-train.

I've learned some valuable things from such an experience.

Anyways, my name is Dave, I'm 19 years old, and some of my interests are reading, art, poetry, writing, hiking, and I just love to learn new things.

I'm currently getting ready to go into Culinary Arts, which is going to put me through seven years of college, as I am going to get my doctorate in Psychology.
Oh, I also love to cook!

Alot of what I do in my practice partains to Zen Buddhism, as I consider that to be a very important aspect of my training - I often tell those I'm teaching, forget about fighting, now, bow to your dancing partners!

Gassho,
~Dave.

D. C. Chapman,
The Spokane Budo Circle.