Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #176
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Loh On Nin wrote: View Post
Hi,
you are luckier than I am, I got kicked out of the dojo cos I fell in the wrong direction ( maybe 20 degrees off) after nage tried the second time.
The chief instructor went ballistic and would not even listen to my explaination.
Quite a few "my way or the highway" instructors around.
Hi Loh,

Deja vu. Heard this story before. Probably from Astro on Demand channel.

Ossu

David Y
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #177
lewpearson
Dojo: Melbourne Aikikai
United_States

For me resistance sometimes needs to be negotiated. When you are just learning the form, foot/hand work you don't want an uke who is looking to escape or frustrate. Other times I ask my uke to resists, look for weak points, etc. Other times, depending on your level, it is random, spontaneous and used to keep you on your toes (dojo-itus). Just depends.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #178
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Hi,
you are luckier than I am, I got kicked out of the dojo cos I fell in the wrong direction ( maybe 20 degrees off) after nage tried the second time.
The chief instructor went ballistic and would not even listen to my explaination.
You just do not understand....

Your direction of the fall must be at exactly North 35.56 degrees East at exactly 12.06.45 pm in order to align with the Earth Meridian and Chi. No wonder your sensei chased you out of the dojo.. You did not conform to Feng Shui principles.

For foreign friends who did not get it... the above post was Boon's poor attempt at injecting HUMOUR. I' ll go some push up or something.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #179
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Hi,
Hi Loh,

I'm 100 Plus (%) sure that you were from a Yoshinkan dojo and the nage could be a kin of the chief instructor.

So, which highway are you on now? Look out for some billboards on aikido!!

Regards

David Y
Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #180
Mary Turner
Dojo: Joshinkan
United_States

It sounds like the black belt wasn't ready to receive information from you- I have found that some people get really over-concerned with rank and won't take instruction from someone they consider less-experienced.

Good information can come from everyone you train with, IMO, and you need to listen even if it is painful.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #181
Nikopol

Of course it is preferable to communicate with your instructor, rather than stir up sentiments in a forum. Keep in mind that the uke must do the technique with the Nage. That is Aiki. Uke moving in the wrong direction is as bad as nage moving in the wrong direction.

And consider that by not co-operating you are opening up to an injury, possibly a break or a dislocation. Then your nage will be appear to be responsible.

There is a possibility that your nage is an unhinged control freak.
But remember, your first kyu test proceeds with ukemi. It is assumed that by that point you understand what is expected of you.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #182
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Vincent Nikopol wrote: View Post
Of course it is preferable to communicate with your instructor, rather than stir up sentiments in a forum.
But where's the fun in that? I want my forum entertainment, and I want it now!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #183
Mato-san
Iceland

Quote:
Brian Vickery wrote: View Post
Hi Andy,

Hey, you can't fix something if you don't know it's broken! He should be THANKING you instead of being pissed at you!

Just let it go, his ego will heal without you having to stroke it!

Keep the honesty in your training!
AMEN
without the honesty in training you have nothing but social aikido

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #184
Lonin
Malaysia

"Your direction of the fall must be at exactly North 35.56 degrees East at exactly 12.06.45 pm in order to align with the Earth Meridian and Chi. No wonder your sensei chased you out of the dojo.. You did not conform to Feng Shui principles." XuZen wroye

That might just be it and I would have apologised if he had said exactly that before showing me the highway.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #185
Joseph Madden
Canada

He should thank you for being honest and continue to work on his jo-kata. Black belts sometimes colour the mind.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #186
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

Simple: Kohai is always wrong. Accept it and move on.

In Good Practice...

Jim

www.nothing-works.com

Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #187
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Simple: Kohai is always wrong. Accept it and move on.

In Good Practice...

Jim

www.nothing-works.com

Sadao Yoshioka used to say..."Uke is never wrong". I tend to agree.

Best,

Chris

Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #188
akiy

Quick (temporary) post to let folks know that I've split off the posts on resurrecting old threads to here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21273

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #189
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I wouldn't worry about that jerk being mad at you because you didn't fall. Wow!!! If a "black belt" can't throw a lower ranking belt, then there is something wrong----NOT with your honesty but with his "skill", which doesn't sound too good to me. Had that happened in my dojo, I'd have run that "black belt" all the way to the West Coast and let him stay there. You did the right thing. Blow it off and continue to train.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #190
roadtoad
Dojo: none
United_States

I've got a great technique for you, its from kung-fu, and If your instructor is reading this, it'll give it all away.
The instructor is holding one end of the jo, and pushes the other end in your hands, which you grab, and pull on. After doing a tug of war for a while, to set him up, you let go of the jo, and, with one hand, you whip throw your end around the instructors neck, The jo is now wrapped around his neck, with him still holding on to one end of it. You step forward, grab the jo, hanging backwards around his neck, and using your other hand/arm, as well, execute an irimi -type throw on him.
Works like a charm against someone who's not ready for it.
But, be careful with it. they might kick you out of the dojo for embarrasing the instructor
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #191
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Phil Van Treese wrote: View Post
I'd have run that "black belt" all the way to the West Coast and let him stay there.
Just so long as they pay their dues on time then keep 'em coming. Otherwise please don't send them here.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #192
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Joe Cavazos wrote: View Post
He shouldn't be mad at you.... He should be mad at himself....
I would not have fallen for a black belt ... maybe a kyu, but not a dan....
Assuredly I say that he is mad with himself, just projecting his anger elsewhere.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #193
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Phil Van Treese wrote: View Post
Wow!!! If a "black belt" can't throw a lower ranking belt, then there is something wrong----NOT with your honesty but with his "skill", which doesn't sound too good to me.
I think we should all be honest, the "belt" no matter the color doesn't do the throwing.

The original post provides very little insight into what was going on. But based on the poster's level (orange belt) could it also be that the senior chose not to "force" the technique for fear of injuring a less experienced partner?

Quote:
Andy Orwig wrote:
Our head Sensei approached me and told me that 'my control' was not there and that the senior student was upset with me.
This sounds less like a student that is waiting for a solid technique and more like a student that is providing too much resistance for safety concerns.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru