Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
gdandscompserv

United_States
U.S.Marines studying Mindfulness

I heard the Marines are looking for a few good men:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ining/1847519/

Hopefully they hook up with the right folks...
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: U.S.Marines studying IS?

How is this "IS"? Sounds like they are interested mindfulness.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

The USMC is the one branch of the service that seems to go out on the proverbial limb to do this kinda thing. Dr Richard Heckler-Strozzi has done some work with them in the past. The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) has also worked to incorporate the mind, body and spirit aspects more explicitly than the Army. I always applaud the Marine Corps efforts to seek different methods to solve problems.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

also, yeah, agree with Chris on this. Not sure how it relates to IP/IS, but I get why you posted it! thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
How is this "IS"? Sounds like they are interested mindfulness.
yes, the article suggests they are searching for "mindfulness" as do you, but i'll bet it they meet the right people they will quickly come to know what they are really interested in.
most budo men i know would love to know/do what folks like Dan, Mike and a few others do. if they are searching, they will find the right stuff. it's just not in that many places. from what i hear, it involves alot of "mindfulness." not sure what the School Infantry-West at Camp Pendleton's got going, or who they got for instructors, but i'd like to see Dan stop in and teach them some stuff. i'd like to see them get their "mindfulness" in a way that can be universally utilized. anyway, i don't have a clue about all this is mumbo jumbo anyway! the article just reminded me of my friends that hang out here in the Non-Aikido Martial Traditions forum.

hey Kevin, nice to hear from you. you ever spend any time with Mike Veltri of DC Aikido?

Last edited by gdandscompserv : 01-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
yugen
United_States

Very cool, I remember many times at Parris Island standing with out stretched arms and M16's hanging from my little fingers! If it was IS training no one told me and the mindful part was to go to your happy place! lolz

This is great, the Marines were out in front with their training as our battles shifted to 'non-traditional warfare' and hopefully this will take them out in front to help these young guys deal with the stress.

Ryan
Seattle
Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Hey Ricky, nope, I am now in Germany for a few years and when in DC I have very little time to train it seems these days!

When they are addressing mindfulness, they are looking at the mental aspects and while they are trying to link it holistically they have a specific issue they are trying to address. While certainly IS training is applicable, there are only so many hours in the day in the end and thus, they will spend time on what typically falls within the buddhist practices of meditation and mindfulness and not so much on the "martial body" aspects of it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: U.S.Marines studying Mindfulness

It seems this "mindfulness training" is still in a preliminary stage.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-19-14-32-11
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Another article of interest on this subject. FWIW. I ran into COL Bristol today on post and I am meeting with him in the next two weeks to talk about budo etc. Great guy.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...erres-022811w/

Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Another article of interest on this subject. FWIW. I ran into COL Bristol today on post and I am meeting with him in the next two weeks to talk about budo etc. Great guy.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...erres-022811w/
Just curious, given the program documented in Richard Strozzi Heckler's "In Search of the Warrior Spirit", what has been incorporated in the latest training?

I note from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Strozzi-Heckler a link to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_...l_Arts_Program
Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Incorporated as far as what? Not sure i completely understand your question. MCMAP is more than simply physical combat skills, which I like very much. You'd have to be more specific.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Incorporated as far as what? Not sure i completely understand your question. MCMAP is more than simply physical combat skills, which I like very much. You'd have to be more specific.
The epilogue in my copy was a little downbeat about what had been learned from the program in so far as what was taken from it and being applied to normal training. Have things move on since then?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

I really couldn't answer that question holistically since I am not a Marine and do not have insights to the overall feel for the trends over time with the Marine Corps.

I am going to meet with COL Bristol soon and will ask him this very question since he worked with Dr. Heckler-Strozzi. I talked to Dr Heckler-Strozzi briefly a few years ago when he was in DC at our dojo, but we didn't get into a deep conversation about this.

My guess is that Dr H-S would had hoped for more as is normal. As an institution, I am sure the Marine Corps like any, is slow to change or to adopt stuff like this wholesale. You have to be careful when you start messing with killing and controlled violence.