Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Columns

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Comment

Column Tools
Getting Your Groove Back
by The Mirror
03-19-2012
Getting Your Groove Back

This month's "The Mirror" column was written by A.J. Garcia © 2012.
What's your aikido like? Is it an inspiration, always a challenge, exciting? Does it show you better ways of doing things, both physically and socially? It it a plus for your health? Does it keep you young, active? Does it inspire you in some mystical manner, aid you in centering yourself, or give you a sense of preserving a noble martial history? Does it help you relax and practice being peaceful? Does it give you a good feeling about your capability to defend yourself in a physical confrontation? Are you into its precision, its discipline? Do you love its awesome ability, when done properly, to transport your uke across the mat at lightning speed? Does the weapons practice thrill you? It your dojo a great social group to be a member of? Does practice, in some undefinable way, just feel like it fits your life?

Or...doesn't it?

Aside from political wranglings or personality conflicts, which we will not discuss here, sometimes we all hit periods of ennui where our practice is concerned. It's sort of like a dieting plateau--for those of you who've been on diets--where there isn't any obvious reason you can point to, but the weight loss has stopped (even though you haven't gained any back), and you're just not doing well with waiting for it to begin again. Everything can be fine at the dojo, fine with practice, fine with learning something new...but you still feel a bit at sea, and question why. Ennui. Not bad enough to really make you want to give it up, but you're without any strong inspiration to continue, either.

We live in an economically tough world today, even for those with stable lives and mostly steady employment. Most people have had to cut back on things, and for many it has been their practice (either they can't afford the dojo fees any more, or the dojo can't afford to stay in business any more). Others have cut back on seminar attendance. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Many of us scrimp in other areas of our lives to be able to keep up our monthly dojo fees. The times of barely blinking when we paid for seminars, or to support a visit from a highly-ranked sensei (in my dojo, Soke, our head sensei from Japan), are over for most of us. Fees that once would have been just part of a week's salary for many have become a savings effort over months.

That's where I am today. I've argued with myself since December about the costs of Soke's upcoming visit this month (which are above the monthly dojo fee)--his airfare and housing. In years past, I didn't give it a thought. This year the fees are lower than last year's (we're having a barbeque, not a banquet, and one of the members is putting Soke up in his home), but still it's a chunk of money for me, hard to come by--and, like a blister makes you focus on it due to pain, the effort to scrape up the costs has made me focus on my practice.

Now, you may be fine where money's concerned, but frustrated that you no longer feel deeply inspired. Or you may have more on your plate (kids, family, a sick relative, two jobs, transportation problems, looking for a job or better job) that limit your time and force you to juggle it--or that limit how much of "you" you can give to learning, because your mind keeps focusing on the other things instead of completely on your practice. Or you may have an injury that limits what you can do and that doesn't seem to be clearing up like you'd liked for it to. You just don't/can't feel fully involved and it makes you question why you're involved at all. So feel free to substitute whatever your "trigger" is for my trigger of "money."

My monthly dojo fee is in my very pared-down budget, but coming up with the visit fee required really cutting back to save it up. And I asked myself, "Why are you practicing? You could use that money for other necessities right now. Look at the economy! Would anyone blame you if you quit for a while because you really can barely afford to practice, much less pay for the visit? Are you feeling really inspired right now by your practice?"

Well, no. Not super-inspired, but not uninspired, either. I'm suffering from ennui.

When we did the Mirror group roundtable piece in January, I mentioned that for me, martial arts are meditative centering influence in my life. They add a stability that's just there, regardless of the other conflicts and crises I deal with. Yes, I "should" test (I missed doing so last year, due to finances; couldn't come up with the testing fee on top of the visit fees), but no, I can't again this year, due to finances. Well, so goes it. The real reason I practice isn't to gain rank anyway. The experience is more important than adding another certificate to my stash. So, I asked myself, had something changed in the meditative aspect of the practice? No, not really; the intensity may wax and wane, but it's still there.

Do I feel I'm not learning enough fast enough? No. I just learned a new technique three weeks ago and have mastered it (not on a super-subtle advanced level, but I have the moves down now, ready to refine and polish). Would quitting to use the money (both monthly fees and Soke's visit money) for "necessities" really make a difference? I know it wouldn't. And if I quit, well, my hakama still has years of use in it and why waste that? Why lose the peaceful (for me) time at the dojo, which, while it doesn't give me any certificates, really just feels right for me?

So, have I really found a solution yet to my ennui? No. I'm going to take advice from a poster I saw years ago, of a cat hanging from the end of a rope: "When you've reached the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on!" Saturday I paid my fees for Soke's visit. I've made a decision to just hold on and see what inspiration comes. To just experience his visit with no testing pressures and see what I learn, like last year. To endure. To stay on my "plateau" for as long as required until, one day, the inspiration of practice coalesces again for me.

Remember, the only constant is change. This, too, shall pass.

"The Mirror" is a collaborative column written by a group of women who describe themselves as:

We comprise mothers, spouses, scientists, artists, teachers, healers, and yes, of course, writers. We range in age from 30s through 50s, we are kyu ranked and yudansha and from various parts of the United States and styles of aikido. What we have in common is a love for budo that keeps it an integral part of our busy lives, both curiosity about and a commonsense approach to life and aikido, and an inveterate tendency to write about these explorations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf themirror_2012_03.pdf (102.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Getting Your Groove Back

I know exactly what you mean. Been in the same sort of situation for the pasty several months. But you are right. It will pass. Experience has taught me that given time everything will work out as long as you don't give up.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Laurie McCann
Dojo: North Bay Aikido
United_States

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am encouraged by your determination and hope to follow suit. I have been ensnared in the clutches of ennui for the last six months, due in part to a series of (non-mat related) joint injuries - this month is the first in 12 years that I have not paid monthly dues, and it is not about the money (although those special seminar fees are more problematic than in earlier days). It is about lack of inspiration, direction, connection. I just need to find a way to find my way back ; ) and trust the process. Gambatte!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center

Also, it's ok to take breaks now and then. Take a month off. Arrange it ahead of time with the chief instructor and/or dojo cho. Really and truly, it's ok.

The mind suffers from repetitive stress, just like the body. Resting is also training.

Comment