Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of September 7, 2003:

Have you ever intentionally injured someone seriously in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
mj
The yes vote percentage keeps increasing.

I am Jack's amazement.

Old 09-07-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
I'm Jack's broken collarbone!
Old 09-07-2003, 10:24 PM   #4
shihonage
United_States
I'm Jack's collection of tired movie cliches.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
I am jacks inflated bank balance if anyone is silly enough to post a "yes" reply in this thread - are you trying for entrapment Jun?

How about changing this Q to "would you ever...", some of those "hypothetical" replies might be interesting
Old 09-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States
While I personally have never intentionally injured someone, I was intentionally hurt by someone. He had a problem with control and showing off. Sensei eventually asked him to leave.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Russ Qureshi
I would be curious as to the circumstances surrounding the "yes" replies. In what situation did you find it necessary to "intentionally, seriously injure" someone during aikido training....

Wondering,

Russ
Old 09-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
Mark Barlow
Dojo: Gulf Coast Martial Arts
I'd be amazed if anyone who responded yes steps up with an explanation. It's like the old, "do you still beat your wife?" question.

During 20 years with my Sensei, I saw him "intentionally inflict serious injury" during class a time or two and I thought then and I do now that it was a perfectly logical response to a real threat. We're not talking about a sadist who hurts students for the pleasure/fun of it but an instructor dealing with a determined, trained martial artist.

My sensei has passed away so pressing charges for assault is not an issue. Of course, he was in his late 70s when all this took place and few bullies want to complain that a little old man beat them up.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
So what exactly counts as serious?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:07 AM   #10
Mark Barlow
Dojo: Gulf Coast Martial Arts
If the question is directed at me.....

in the incident that comes to mind, a broken wrist.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:33 AM   #11
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
I never seen someone intentionally injuring someone, but I've seen quite a few injures from Yudansha who think that throwing someone harder than usual means their aikido is better.

Personally, I've tweaked a couple of people during practice unintentionally, but I do fear that one day I will hurt someone seriously. I allow this thought to sometimes hinder my Aikido, especially around more fragile Ukes. Does anyone else worry about this, or have this problem?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Damion Lost (Ghost Fox) wrote:
I do fear that one day I will hurt someone seriously. I allow this thought to sometimes hinder my Aikido, especially around more fragile Ukes. Does anyone else worry about this, or have this problem?
Yes but I don't consider it a problem. The softer I can learn to do a technique the better. I've done my share of accidental tweaks and it just makes me more aware of how unaware I was.

I've seen people write on Aikiweb that their instructor is really great because he can throw uke so hard that uke goes blind in one eye and pisses blood for a week (paraphrased of course ). I tend to be more impressed with those people who can put me on the ground so gently that I have no idea how or even why I'm down there. I attack, they disappear, I'm staring at the ceiling thinking that one day I'll learn to do that.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."