Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
JamesC
United_States
Japanese Budo Art Index?

I'm curious if anyone can tell me where I might find an index or glossary of terms that are used periodically in the dojo.

I found one that was offered on the website but was hoping for something a little more in depth. Perhaps something with pictures or clips to go along with each technique, stance, drill, etc.

I'm still very new to the art and I very rarely have any idea what technique we are being told to practice when Sensei tells us.

Obviously he tells us what he is demonstrating, but I have usually forgotten the names by the time we drill them again.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Glossary and Table of techniques

I am not sure if it is exactly what you look for, but I have an aikido glossary on my website, with short explanations of the aikido terms (and some general budo terms, as well):
http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikido-glossary.htm

I also have tables of the basic techniques, and their combinations with different attack forms, with some explanations. It starts here:
http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikidobasics.htm

The tables have links to videos, where there are any, and to written explanations, et cetera.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Japanese Budo Art Index?

Hi James,

What you're looking for is going to be very style/affiliation dependent. Names of techniques and how they are performed vary so wildly from school to school that unless we know the lineage of your aikido there's no real way we can offer any help.

It's best to ask your instructor and the senior students in your dojo. They may know of resources that are tailored to exactly what and how you do it.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
James Cavin wrote: View Post
...Obviously he tells us what he is demonstrating, but I have usually forgotten the names by the time we drill them again.
That's why I used to take notes after class... I still do, but the notes I take now are a lot different from 10 years ago. Writing it down makes a difference. And you can refer to it later.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
JamesC
United_States

Thanks Stefan

That was exactly what I was looking for.