Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
kyleg
Sword blocking (I forget the name)

Hey everyone,
About a week ago my combative fitness teacher taught us how to block a sword slash to the neck (the entire semester has been dedicated to aikido, though I know that's not very long at all to have been learning).

Anyways, there were a few (maybe only 2?) ways of protecting oneself AND disarming the opponent. I remember the first one we learned where the sword tip is guided towards the floor, nage takes a step behind uke, and uses his (nage's) upper arm against uke's neck to essentially trip him. Nag is left with the sword in a backhand-type grip.

Now, I also remember the beginning of another block, that starts off the same way, however (if being swiped at from nage's left) the left hand slid onto one of uke's wrists and twisted (I think). Maybe it was similar to ikkyo?

If anyone can help me get my memory back it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Kyle G

"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
- James A. Froude

Nemo me impune lacessit
Old 04-07-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
um.... there are a number of practice exercises it could be. Sometimes they vary by sensei to sensei.

as far as taking swords or knives...I wouldn't try it. If you want to know why, try the old marker exercise.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
kung fu hamster
Kyle,

Are you empty-handed or do you have a bokken too? (and Paul, what's the old marker exercise?)
Old 04-08-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
I'm not Paul, but I'll play him on the web, for a minute anyway...

The 'Old Marker Exercise" TM is where nage puts on a t-shirt or old dogi (preferably white) and uke gets a magic marker, which they weild like a knife. This is guaranteed to point out all weaknesses in your knife defense technique...well, most of them, anyway.

It really can be very enlightening, to grapplers, aikidoka, boxers, whatever. They all have their weaknesses against a descent knife fighter.

Ron

PS If you really want to learn about defending against knives, find someone who uses them regularly as part of their training...some of the arnis and silat groups have some really good people.

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 04-08-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
I think you're talking about "tachi dori".

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
kyleg
lol Ron...

No, I don't have a bokken when defending, it's all empty handed for nage. The technique I'm trying to remember is (I think) basically Ikkyo. I seem to remember ending up with uke in a pin, just like when we practiced ikkyo without weapons, but, like I said, I'm not sure. If anyone knows ofa site or two that have aikido animations/videos I would be very interested in checking them out.

Thanks,

Kyle

"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
- James A. Froude

Nemo me impune lacessit
Old 04-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
Check out Gaku Homm's book, the Structure of Aikido. It lays out relations between sword vs. sword, empty hand vs. sword, and mpty hand vs. empty hand techniques. The theme of the book is that they're all basically the same movements, and who has what is fairly inconsequential.

Once you get a hold of a copy, look for the open hand technique that most resembles the tachidori you're thinking of, and the tachidori will be on the same page, right next to it.

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Hi Kyle,

Both techniques you mention are demonstrated on the video, "Aiki-Budo" which features Aikido`s founder, Morihei Ueshiba. I have never seen them done better than is shown on the video.

BTW, what is combative fitness?

Charles Hill
Old 04-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
Largo
United_States
Ron has the idea down for the marker drill. I actually learned it doing kali. There's nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing marks on your back or face that you have no clue how they got there to realize how much you still need to train.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Quote:
Paul Mihalik (Largo) wrote:
Ron has the idea down for the marker drill. I actually learned it doing kali. There's nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing marks on your back or face that you have no clue how they got there to realize how much you still need to train.
Especially when you realize that some of them came from your own marker

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I've used training knives with strips of carpet on the edges. You chalk the knives with different color chalk and go at it with black clothing on (that way you don't ruin the clothes).

I too would have cut myself more than once

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-15-2004, 11:36 PM   #12
Largo
United_States
Willy lee- I never managed that trick My worst shocks were shots to the back from the onlookers. (it was to simulate a real fight, so it was fair enough...but not noticing a big slash to the back was a shock).

bronson- the carpet knives seem like a good idea. I might have to try that one some time