Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
nigel audain
Dojo: london
England
starting a new class

I wondered if I could have the thoughts of some others regarding starting another aikido class.I started aikido nearly a year ago and I am still thoroughly enjoying myself and I look forward to class every week.I have always been into sport and doing some sort of training, but after the initial enthusiasm and excitement of participating in something new , I have found that the training becomes a bit monotonous and almost like a chore,with the exception of football which has always been my passion untilI I started aikido.

My Aikido class is very small, only 5 students at the moment and we all train well ,have a mutual respect for each others skills and abilities and I always leave class on a high ,smiling and knowing that I have learnt something new. Although I really enjoy my class, for the past 2 or 3 months I have felt the need to start training with another, larger class in my local area as well as still going to my normal class. Its not because I do not want to train with my smaller class but I feel that I would like to experience training with other aikidoists and learning from another sensei. I did feel guilty about wanting to train elsewhere so I decided to talk to my sensei about how I was feeling. I have the utmost respect for him. He said that if that is what I wanted to do then go for it. He also said that no one has to stay with one class throughout their learning but it is natural to want see and experience other classes or other arts.
I was very pleased with his reaction and I will be starting another class in the new year.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: starting a new class

Nigel, I think it is very valuable to be able to do what you are doing, and it is fortunate you have an instructor who is supportive of it.
Have you checked to make sure the OTHER instructor is equally openminded?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
crbateman

Good advice, Janet.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

If you feel that the current class has become like a chore, why do you think that the same feeling will not come around for the next class that you will be starting?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
nigel audain
Dojo: london
England

Hi Mike, I think you mis-understood me. I meant that the training in some previous sporting activities I have taken part in have become like a chore. I am enjoying my Aikido training so much that I would like to start another class as well as continuing my current one.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
justin
United Kingdom

i also train in a small class most of the year then freshers comes around and it is full and i then long for the smaller class having so much one to one with your instructor as he doesn't have to teach lots of students i found an amazing boost to my training.

selfish i guess so i shall work on it as a new years resolution