Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-05-2000, 03:44 PM   #1
Soulnet
"Soulnet"
IP Hash: cca83a7d
Anonymous User
Hi,

I live in Belgium and the closest Dojo's to my place propose Aikido, jujitsu and karate. I'm not a very sportive guy but willing to be, i'm very tall (6'5'') and quite thin. What would you recommend me? I'd like to start aikido but ju jitsu or karate also seem interesting... Should I just start and look after a while, do both at the same time... I'm waiting for your answers...

Thank you
Old 12-05-2000, 05:13 PM   #2
SeiWhat?!?
Dojo: Long Beach State Univ. Seidokan Aikido Club
There is a similar thread titled "help" in this section, you may want to read that.

As for deciding what to do, it depends on what you're looking for, which MA fits your philosophy, and how comfortable you feel in that art and in the dojo. Try all three if you can, ask the sensei if you join in a couple of classes. Ask the students what they think of their respective MA.

Keep an open mind and remember that these are three different MA's with their own strenghts and philosophies.

Good luck and have fun

Best advise I've ever received:
"Don't just stand there, do SOMETHING! The fact that you may have failed doesn't matter, it's HOW you failed. Go down swingin'."

Scott Tanaka
Old 12-07-2000, 03:07 PM   #3
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Soulnet wrote:
Should I just start and look after a while, do both at the same time... I'm waiting for your answers...
Go ahead and start and see how it feels. If, after a few months or whatever your personal tolerance level is, it doesn't seem right to you, try something else until you find what does feel right.

In the process, keep in mind that frequently something that "feels right" is determined as much or sometimes more by the attitude you take and the effort you put into it than by the environment you've selected.

Good luck!

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 12-07-2000, 03:51 PM   #4
Serrada
I,ve been practicing for around two months now, and when I started I was in a similar situation to yours. Aikido training is completely different now to when I began.

You should try to watch some more advanced classes. If you like what you see, give it a go, and don't quit until you are sure you don't like it. As my Sensei said, you spend the first few weeks learning how to learn. Then it gets interesting.

Evan Buckley.
Old 12-07-2000, 08:48 PM   #5
stratcat
Dojo: Chendokan Aikido, Costa Rica
Talking Help is here!

Y'know, whenever someone asks this question in forums, we aikido guys always try to be diplomatic and discreet, and we always say "look around see what MA suits you," or whatever. I'm not knocking or dissing anyone, as that's what I usually do too. But I feel very... ASSERTIVE today (I got up on the wrong foot or something) so I'll just flat out say it:

I practice Aikido and Ju-Jutsu and EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD TOO. These are the Arts I like BEST.

YES, I am biased, and NO, that doesn't mean that other Arts aren't just as good. It just means that Aikido and Ju-Jutsu are what YOU should practice because they are so cool.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest Aikido/ Ju-Jutsu dojo RIGHT NOW!

No thanks necessary.

[Edited by stratcat on December 7, 2000 at 08:57pm]

Andy Hertz.
"Standing before me
enemies my mind does not ignore
I take a step forward
and act!"
Morihei Ueshiba