Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines
Aikido in a Work Out Gym

Hi everyone,

I comment I posted in another thread made me think....

I go to a gym to work out every other night(my first time, been doing it for about a month). My gym instructor said that as a newbie to "lifitng" he was pretty impressed with the stable control I had over my bodily movements...

example: when doing chest lifting, he pionted out that regardless of the weight I was carrying, my arms were very stable during the times they were extended straight out....

I was thinking, was this a manifestation of the undbendable arm we practice in aikido?

Also, in Aikido we train to conserve and control energy, whereas working out requires the exertion of a lot of enegy.... how else can we apply Aikido in situations like these?

ideas, opinons?

thanks all.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Aikido in a Work Out Gym

Body mind, and breath control does transfer to other activities.
Compliments.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Terry Ezra Shihan of Birkenhead UK employs heavy iron balls to develop efficient body movement - anti-weight training if you will.

I should point out that I'm not trained in this system myself, but have seen it's value.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
Terry Ezra Shihan of Birkenhead UK employs heavy iron balls to develop efficient body movement - anti-weight training if you will.

I should point out that I'm not trained in this system myself, but have seen it's value.
Can you explain this? or do you have a link to a website detailing what he does? I've never heard of it.

If it is just kata with 5lb. iron metal balls, then I kinda get it. If he does something more, I'd like to know what.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

John, I got myself two iron balls last time I visited Birkenhead a few weeks ago, two things that sensei showed me to do with them were - moving your body like in torifune, letting the balls swing up and then not swing back down but drop down by relaxing the elbows. Hmm does that make sense? So go forward like ikkyo undo I guess but not coming back along the same arch with the arms but letting elbows drop.

The other things was standing holding the balls in the palms of your hands (or actually a bit more towards the fingers) over your head (a bit behind), fingers pointing backwards, and shaking your arms so that the balls kinda roll a bit in your hands.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 07-20-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Quote:

As in weights on the legs during technique application?

This sounds very intresting indeed... I wonder if likie in working out, this'll add "strength" to your movements... is that right?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #7
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Rene Vencer, Jr wrote:
As in weights on the legs during technique application?

No, you hold the balls in your hands. But thanks for the mental image.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

"Can you explain this? or do you have a link to a website detailing what he does? I've never heard of it."

I'm under-qualified to answer this but I'll give it a go....

As I understand it the use of the weights promotes relaxed, efficient body movement and extension. Because it makes things bloody hard work - your body learns to economize. Same principle as training the same technique for a few hours non-stop. Another way they can help is by increasing and thus he lighting the physical forces at work on your body when you perform an action, for example tenkan.

I might have completely missed the point. There's a good called Iron Balls and Elbow Power available through Ezra Shihan's organization site:

http://www.aikido.co.uk/books.htm

I happily put this plug in for two reasons: Ezra Shihan has personally been supportive of me over the years, and I regard him as one of the finest aikido instructors in the world (having seen many), who I would love to see better recognized by the wider aikido community.