Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
Birthday ukemi traditions

In my dojo we do birthday rolls. Over a certain age, I think it's 40, you have the option of being Nage half of the time and someone else does the last half of the rolls. Frank Doran sensei visited our dojo on one of our sempai's birthday. Sempai had to do 53 rolls and 90% of those were high falls. It was an honor, of course, but . . .
If someone has a wedding anniversary both people do simultaneous rolls.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Jerry Miller

United_States
Straight Face Re: Birthday ukemi traditions

I have seen a breakfall per each year.

Jerry Miller
Old 05-22-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Re: Birthday ukemi traditions

We do birthday nikkyos. After 40, I don't which would be worse!

Jeanne
Old 05-22-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

For Birthdays, we do a back breakfall (koho ukemi) for every year.

Other traditions we have:

1. For the last class of the year we will do 10 x "#People on Mat" back breakfalls (koho ukemi)
2. If someone is leaving the dojo - ie. moving to another country but still planning on training - we will have everyone on the mat throw them once and then they throw everyone on the mat once.

I've just been asked to institute a "Number of Years in Japan" back breakfall tradition. He's been here one (1) year...somehow I think he's just trying to get out of the regular breakfalls we do in class.

I may have to change it to "one breakfall for every week he's been in japan" x "the number of people on the mat"...hmm...hmmm...thinking

--Mcihael

Last edited by maikerus : 05-22-2005 at 11:39 PM.

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-22-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

I just turned 50 and my next class is Tuesday. You people are supposed to be telling me this isn't good Aikido and that no one else does it. Thanks a lot!!!!! Maybe I can talk someone into taking my place... hey, who wants to make $10?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
Brehan Crawford

My birthday is on Thursday of this week. I don' t know what, if anything, I'm in for but I'm sure it will be a: fun and b: exhausting

Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
Joanne Arnest
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai
United_States

We do a break fall for every year. But we're a college dojo, so most of us aren't that old.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

The dojo I trained at in Seattle delivered double nikkyos for each year. Here in Boulder they make a circle and you get thrown once by everyone until you've taken a fall for each year. Very good reasons to keep your birthday quiet.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
CaseyD

Not for birthday, but I like the 'aikido handshake' . 2 people grasp hands like a hand shake, then do simultanious breakfalls over their own arm. - Fun!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk

Heh. It's funny you brought this up, since it was just my instructor's thirty-fifth birthday on Thursday and we did this. It's supposed to be a breakfall for each year, but my instructor said, "Ok, we're going to do jiyuwaza from any grabbing attack and these three (referring to me and two other mid-ranks) will throw me 35 times. If they're all breakfall throws, I'll take 35 breakfalls." We couldn't come up with 35 breakfall throws, so he got to roll out of most of them. Guy got off easy! I had to take 22 breakfalls from him for my last birthday. Ugh! I'm never telling him it's my birthday again!

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 05-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #11
Jon Roberts
Dojo: Aikido of Indianapolis
United_States

When I moved from Indianapolis to Austin, at the end of my last class, sensei's instructions were "ok, everyone throw Jon 10 times."

It ended up being 40 or 50...
Old 05-23-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
awh

Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan
Japan

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
I've just been asked to institute a "Number of Years in Japan" back breakfall tradition. He's been here one (1) year...somehow I think he's just trying to get out of the regular breakfalls we do in class.
Now why would you think something like that?

By the way, if I stay here 11 years, I'll have to ask you to stop that tradition.

- Drew, whose birthday is absolutely not, in no way whatsoever, on a Saturday this year.

Last edited by awh : 05-23-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #13
awh

Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan
Japan

Quote:
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
- Drew, whose birthday is absolutely not, in no way whatsoever, on a Saturday this year.
Responding to my own post... when I got to the dojo on Saturday, class had already been in session for 1/2 hour (side-effect of my Saturday work schedule). I was sure that showing up that late would let me miss out on any birthday breakfalls... and I was right! Sensei opted instead for birthday hajime. We did shomen uchi ikkajo osae (1) 29 times. For all you experienced guys, that's nothing (Sensei's favourite joke that evening, repeated several times: "That wasn't 'hajime'; that was barely even 'ha'"), but it was sure enough to tire me out.

I must admit, that of the birthday hajime, birthday balloons, birthday cake, and birthday booze that I received that evening, the birthday hajime probably wasn't my favourite.

- Drew, a year older but not much wiser

"Typical aikiweb, a moron posts and a serious discussion breaks out..." -- aikiweb user happysod