Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
Dave Plaza
Name this exercise, and is it beneficial?

Hi folks,

I am trying to find out the name of an exercise, could you please help?

It consists of being in a standing position and imaging you are holding a ball in front of you between both hands. You then move your hands around this imaginary invisible ball, keeping an equal space between your hands... I think you can increase or decrease the space between your hands, and I think you also keep the imaginary ball in front of your center so that when you twist to the left or right it remains attached to an imaginary line from your center...

Apologies for this explanation but i've only seen this technique once, the guy I asked about it said it was called "shotoque", that's his spelling, and it maybe his phonetic spelling. I've had no luck googling it.

Also if you can decipher my explanation and know this technique, how is it beneficial?

Many thanks

Dave

Last edited by Dave Plaza : 04-06-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Name this exercise, and is it beneficial?

Hi Dave,

Sounds like a Qigong to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Dave Plaza

Quote:
John Burn wrote: View Post
Hi Dave,

Sounds like a Qigong to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong
Cheers John... I've been trying to "youtube" the exercise without success. Qigong is something that I have looked at previously to compliment my Aikido... Still something I think about... So thanks for the reminder
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

You probably saw this... and it's not exactly what you described (and it's certainly not "Aikido"), but I thought it was interesting so decided to share it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Iu-...eature=related
Old 04-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Dave Plaza

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
You probably saw this... and it's not exactly what you described (and it's certainly not "Aikido"), but I thought it was interesting so decided to share it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Iu-...eature=related
Thanks for posting Mathew... That is very interesting.

It wasn't quite like that though, although very similar... If you imagine the man when he picks up the ball... It was like that but without the ball... Like moving whilst holding an imaginary ball.

Cheers anyhow
Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
Mathias

Dojo: Meiseikai

I have done this exercise many times a part of my Qi gong practice but I don't know what it is called.
The purpose of the exercise is to practice how to gather your Ki between your hands.

The type of Qi gong I do is called "Nei yang gong", try and google it and maybe you can find the exercise.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dave Plaza wrote: View Post
Thanks for posting Mathew... That is very interesting.

It wasn't quite like that though, although very similar... If you imagine the man when he picks up the ball... It was like that but without the ball... Like moving whilst holding an imaginary ball.

Cheers anyhow
Hi Dave,
thanks for the reply! I didn't notice it until today. Is the exercise a standing exercise or is there more moving around?
I'm suddenly reminded of a little exercise I've seen my sensei do, which so far seems to be done at hara level. It looks just like he's holding a ball. I believe it's an extension of our shomen uchi practice...or at least that's what it reminds me of. As I recall he rotates by extending out the "pinkie line" (tegatana surface) so the bottom of the "ball" rotates away and up. Later he extends so the top of the "ball" moves forward and down. I really like this exercise because I get the sense it helps me focus on where hara is and how my hands/etc. might affect it (and vice versa). For the first rotation, I like the sinking/settling feeling I get. It makes me feel a little more grounded.
Take care,
Matt