Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
Cass

Dojo: Aikido Academy
Greece
Made Some Videos

So honestly I didn't really know where to share this, so I figured here might be my best bet. I started out doing a little photography at my dojo for fun and to cover a seminar which was great and afterwards my sensei asked if I would be up for trying to do some videos. Now I have zero experience with videography of any kind so this was definitely a learning process. I filmed these and edited them over the course of about a month, during our yudansha-only classes in a series we called "Stay with the flow". I know I have a lot to learn but I would be happy to know what people think .

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ctiMdDXzew

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBLeJNsffwo

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSYrqJp8TE

Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvMnkffVJaU

Aikido Discord Live Chat: https://discord.gg/Vxdcmz6
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan
Re: Made Some Videos

A good start I reckon. I see you seem to have used anti-shake settings in your software, which cut off peoples' heads. I find 90% of shooting video is keeping the camera still.

Personally I don't like Aikido videos with music. Maybe that's because I watch videos of Aikido online to learn something most of the time, not for entertainment. When I hear music, I think of marketing.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
Cass

Dojo: Aikido Academy
Greece

Quote:
Amos Barnett wrote: View Post
A good start I reckon. I see you seem to have used anti-shake settings in your software, which cut off peoples' heads. I find 90% of shooting video is keeping the camera still.

Personally I don't like Aikido videos with music. Maybe that's because I watch videos of Aikido online to learn something most of the time, not for entertainment. When I hear music, I think of marketing.
You're spot on about the heads - I use the warp stabilizer in Adobe Premiere that tends to crop the footage down in the way you described. My sensei noted the same thing, I've tried to work on it a bit though ultimately I think it takes away from the artistic element to have everything full-body, I am very fond of close ups and a more personal feeling. The stability is hard to adjust to, I use my DSLR and am used to photography, where stability is less important and the heavier camera body complicates matters.

Regarding the music - this was how the vids were done of the past and where I continued from. I'm not entirely sure of my senseis intention, he wants to show the techniques as a sort of showcase but not explain, toward the later videos (and the next coming) he starts to include more emphasis of specific movement than just completing techniques over and over. I think it could benefit from vocalization but I'm not sure he would agree - I think the hope is that people will be interested to learn and come to train here. So in a sense I suppose it is marketing :P.

Thank you for your feedback ^^

Aikido Discord Live Chat: https://discord.gg/Vxdcmz6
Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
hunglea
Dojo: Yushinkan Dojo
United_States

Great videos! The wavy effect did make me a bit nauseous, but I really like the close ups. The movements were so nice and clean.

I usually watch aikido videos without sound anyway, but personally would prefer to have the actual sounds of movement to music. I also have zero experience in filming, and normally use my cell phone to catch footage of mat practice. Again, really neat video work!

Last edited by hunglea : 03-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Cool videos!

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day