Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
NagaBaba

Re: Rhythm

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Actually, we did a lot of rhythm training to drums in FMA. Changed the way I move. Tranlsated well to Aikido.
I'm not very enthusiastic to mix the other MA traditions with aikido. It can be very tricky if not devil. In most cases it creates a disaster.
That's why I prefer to listen the teaching from pure aikido techniques.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden

This is a great subject!
I find that the rhythm of budo is most often syncopated - happening right before the beat. When you are attacked, you take over the initiative right before the attack reaches you. When done skillfully, the difference between attacker and defender are sort of blurred. It becomes a dance.
I guess that you could call it timing, too.

Another aspect of rhythm is the minimum and maximum speed of a technique. We all know about the minimum - if you're too late, there's just not going to be a technique at all. But many practitioners are unaware of the maximum speed, they try to force their way through a technique in a speed that uke's body is quite unable to follow. Then it becomes violent.
There are many instances in aikido techniques where you sort of have to wait for uke's body movement to catch up.

I find this rhythm to be kind of elliptical. Att some parts of a technique you accelerate, but then you just have to decelerate at the next part of it.

If aikido is to be compared to dancing - what dance is it? I'd say that it's not a foxtrot, but a waltz

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #28
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
This is a great subject!
I find that the rhythm of budo is most often syncopated - happening right before the beat. When you are attacked, you take over the initiative right before the attack reaches you.When done skillfully, the difference between attacker and defender are sort of blurred. It becomes a dance.
A hallmark of a resonant relationship -- 90 deg phase difference. In this diagram the black line represents either uke or nage and the blue represents the opponent -- of which ever role. The red line is the superposition of the two that results at connection.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/attach...1&d=1231370125

Quote:
I guess that you could call it timing, too.
Sente does not matter at resonance. "Late" or "early" the effect of a resonant response is devastating to the attack. The trick, of course, is knowing where 90 degree phase just might be at some arbitrary points other than zero or maximum amplitude. Therein lies the display of art -- and very much sweat in its achievement.

Quote:
Another aspect of rhythm is the minimum and maximum speed of a technique. We all know about the minimum - if you're too late, there's just not going to be a technique at all. But many practitioners are unaware of the maximum speed, they try to force their way through a technique in a speed that uke's body is quite unable to follow. Then it becomes violent. There are many instances in aikido techniques where you sort of have to wait for uke's body movement to catch up.
Again, at resonance the maximum amplitude of one is counterpoised to zero amplitude of the other -- and vice versa -- there is no resistance to action on either side if the relative phase is maintained, and at all other points in the interference - the same perfect complementarity exists, just at different values.

Quote:
I find this rhythm to be kind of elliptical. At some parts of a technique you accelerate, but then you just have to decelerate at the next part of it.
It is elliptical, an ellipse has two foci -- aikido has two dependent centers and one meta-center defined by the state of angular momentum in relation the composite bodies' inertial moment in the affected plane (or the center of gyration or center of percussion -- particularly as it respects the connected limbs).

Quote:
If aikido is to be compared to dancing - what dance is it? I'd say that it's not a foxtrot, but a waltz.
Two isolated beats and one coordinated beat -- sounds like a waltz to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resonance.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	560  

Last edited by Erick Mead : 01-07-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.