Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-20-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
aoerstroem
Dojo: Renshin Aikido Dojo, Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark
Ai symbol My first grading!

Thursday, Nov. 20th

Yesterday was testing day and my first opportunity to test since I started about year ago. Usually there is testing every six months, but I had a 5 months break due to exams and an exchange students program.

In our dojo, we follow Nishio Sensei, and we use 10 kyu grades. But we can also receive more than one grade at a time.

Anyway, the 4 of us that were going to test had been training extra hard the last couple of weeks, and the sempai and instructors helped us by training basics. You could really feel the motivating factor of the test.

When it came to the testing, I was a bit nervous, but not as much as I had feared because earlier that day I went to a grueling jobinterview, so that took the edge off.

We started out by warming up, and doing tenkan, ukemi and shikko in a group. After that I was asked to do Ayhanmi Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo, Irimi nage, Shihonage and kotegaishi. Then I sat down and watched and relaxed while the others did a few techniques.

After a short break I was asked to do yakohanmi ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, shihonage and kotegaishi with tenkan and then free techniques both aihanmi and yakohanmi. As far as I remember I did nikkyo, sankyo and a ayhanmi uchi-keite kotegaishi.

Two of the others were asked to do ken tai ken, kaiten nage, and various jo and bokken techniques.

After we finished and a short waiting period we got to talk to the Sensei and the two sempai that graded us and got comments suggestions and our new rank.

They told me that they were pleasantly suprised with my progress the last couple of months after my break, and that they knew I had potential. Then they told me that they had decided to give me the 7th kyu, bordering on 6th

All in all I was very pleased with my result and the way the grading had been done. I didn't know what to expect, and I thought I was going to get the 9th, or perhaps 8th kyu, so I was very happy

The two students that did the bokken and jo techniques got the 5th kyu, and the third also got the 7th.

Afterwards we went out and got a couple of beers with the sensei and sempais, hence the "slightly hungover" part

Comments, questions or perhaps congratulations are more than welcome
Old 11-20-2003, 03:09 AM   #2
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
Hearty congrats from me!...but you may get some flak from some folks debating the ranking system in other threads;-)

Keep at it!
Old 11-20-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
akiy

Congratulations, Alexander! Now, get back to training.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
All of That for 7th kyu???? wow.i just passed my fifth kyu a month ago and now i'm totally humbled, not to mention embarrassed by the simplicity of my test!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 11-21-2003, 02:43 AM   #5
aoerstroem
Dojo: Renshin Aikido Dojo, Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark
I knew we didn't follow the same grading schedules as the Aikikai, but is this test unusual?

Oh, and I apologize for posting under the wrong category...
Old 11-21-2003, 02:55 AM   #6
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Alexander

In Denmark we have a curriculum that differ from what is used in most other contries, and each dojo have their own interpretation. In our dojo we have a 6. kyu grading, though the danishi aikikai only go from 5. kyu and up. In Renshin dojo's you have the 10-6 kyu gradings, but with the possibility to 'jump' gradings. There can be said pro and con both systems, so just accept it as a part of the uniqueness of each dojo. This is part of what give us the diversity to continue growing. If we all did everything exactly the same way, it would be SO boring. (my opinion )

By the way: congratulations on the grading. Now go back and practice. The long run has just begun

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 11-21-2003, 06:29 AM   #7
Alan Lomax
Dojo: Doumukai Aikido
Talking

Congratulations on your testing! I hope this sort of things causes you to form a long and grueling habit of continual training and affirmation. Your easiest day of training should always be yesterday, your hardest today, nobody knows what tomorrow holds but enjoy the suspense.

From what you described in regard to different waza, you would have done well at any of the places I have trained. I think you should enjoy the solace and personal pleasure of your accomplishment.

Now, back on head!

Regards

Alan Lomax
Doumukai Aikido
Old 12-11-2003, 03:28 AM   #8
Olga Mihailova
Dojo: BUDO Center
Latvia
Hi Alexander!

Warmest congrats on your 7th kyu! The programm looks really difficult.

I hope you really enjoyed your exam. I had my 6th kyu last week-end and simply loved the process. It turned out to be much more relaxed than a usual training. That was just nice to do things as good as I could not worrieng about whether I get right or wrong and trying to notice and improve all the mistakes (what is completely impossible). I would like to work this way every class! And I am glad that apart from the rank the exam gave me such a new and unexpected ezperience.

"Now you have to practice harder"-that is written on our certificates.

Best wishes,

Olga