Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #76
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: *Tentative* dates for Akuzawa (Aunkai) in Seattle, WA 11/3-11/4

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
David Orange,
The exercises are easy to copy from video/text instruction. However, I've found that the exercises are not easy to *do correctly* from video/text instruction.
That's why I say I am "exploring" them. I understand that I need to meet Ark to really understand them.

However, I have noticed something and I wonder if it relates to what Ark is doing or not. As I posted earlier, in the tenchijin exercise, does anyone notice a difference if the fingers are turned inward (still palms up) instead of outward?

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #77
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
That's why I say I am "exploring" them. I understand that I need to meet Ark to really understand them.

However, I have noticed something and I wonder if it relates to what Ark is doing or not. As I posted earlier, in the tenchijin exercise, does anyone notice a difference if the fingers are turned inward (still palms up) instead of outward?

Best wishes.

David
There's a pretty significant difference. Further, you can get some very different sensations just based on how the palms/fingers are oriented even keeping the general shape in tact. Ark and Rob came around quite a bit and moved people's hands into position. The elbow shape (NO BEND!!!) is very important as well. After one of Ark's corrections to my hand shape/position and hip orientation, I was able to feel a different quality of connection in the exercise than I had previously (particularly the kua - heel connection/path). We're talking a correction of less than an inch in the pelvis area and a couple degrees of rotation to the hands/fingers and the results were dramatic.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #78
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I'm a complete noob and boob, but to me, any thing that leaves slack between the fingers along the path through the cross doesn't seem correct. A lot of these exercises seem to patially be about taking slack out of your body to stress the connections.

Do with that what you can...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #79
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
There's a pretty significant difference. Further, you can get some very different sensations just based on how the palms/fingers are oriented even keeping the general shape in tact.
Actually, this relates to someone's earlier comment about "inside lines" and "outside lines" of energy.

What I experienced with the fingers pointed inward, toward each other, is that the feeling seems to go down the sides of my body, while, with fingers pointed outward, I feel it coming down into my body. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that, if it relates to anything they're doing and especially if it relates to the "inside lines" of power and the "outside lines" of power.

Thanks and best to all.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #80
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

I want add my thanks to Chris, Rob, Akuzawa, George, and everyone who helped bring this together. What a great opportunity to reinforce the things Rob showed us in February and gain some new insight (or "infeeling") into the "cross training". I sure enjoyed training with everyone.

Ron, I hope we get a chance to train and talk over beers again soon.

TNBBC boys, always a pleasure.

Your brother in masochism ,

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #81
ChrisMoses
United_States

Neil has a nice write up of his experience of the Aunkai seminar over at his blog site.

Chris Moses
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #82
Steve Sakahara
Dojo: TNBBC - Icho Ryu/Seattle
United_States

I didn't have problems walking down the stairs the next day. Pulling a shirt over my head when I couldn't lift my arms above my shoulders was another matter.

I'm complaining, make no mistake about it - my body was screaming at times this weekend. For the stillness exercises like tenchijin and mabu, I'm convinced there are gems and aha moments that only come out when you push your muscles to failure. (I so hope that Neil is not reading this...) I've imposed muscular structure on my body all these years and when the muscles are completely torched, I guess you have the opportunity to discover correct body structure. When your quads can no longer support your stance but you try again and discover you can continue by opening your kua and dropping into it? Or you can't lift your arms anymore, but find that by adjusting your upper back and shoulder position you're back in the class again?

Sometimes it's just finding that feeling or position once and then the goal is a tiny bit less elusive. So often this past year I've felt totally clueless. I really appreciate the beauty of Ark's training program - he hits the training from so many different angles that it's clear why his students get this stuff. And that's just based on the small part we got in a 2 day seminar.

The partner exercises are valuable if your partner gives you good feedback and you're really listening. There is a difference in using muscle vs. structure, but can you honestly accept that you can't do it because it's not just a tweak from what you do, but a totally different concept? Feeling tiny Nori's soft power and watching her handle the burly beasts. Working with Hunter and making subtle adjustments to make and feel the connection between the hand and the heel. Dealing with the mental hurdles...

Ark likes to demonstrate principles with the beefier guys. It was quite the visual to see Ark do shikko with Jeremy on his back until Jeremy choked him out. Then he picked up Chris and showed how to do shikko and then walk thru a resisting partner. Power that launched John and Fritz and had them laughing before they hit the ground. Franco doesn't have the bulk of these guys but he's strong and wiry - Ark's kick sent him flying back with a 'Kodak moment' look on his face. Ark moving at "regular" sparring speed, and then switching to demonstrably quicker movement from structure where waza just happens. whoa...

The movement exercises like ashiage and others help you transition body structure in stillness to movement. And to extend your range of movement while maintaining structure. After a day to digest things, I'm appreciative of all the undiscovered nuances of the training exercises. And this is just Aunkai lite...

Watching, listening and trying to absorb some of the Aunkai knowledge and perspective through the entire seminar had great value even if you couldn't do the exercises. Ark is expressive and communicates well despite the language barrier - Rob's value as a translator is incredibly understated. For both teacher and student, there's tremendous depth and knowledge and their ability to communicate other worldly concepts impressive.

I'll vouch for Tom's comment about these exercises helping one recover from back injuries, if appropriate for your type of injury. And yes John, you can impart force more directly into uke, so can you lighten up a bit when I'm on the airshield? And what a blast to meet and train with everybody. Thanks for the privilege.

It all tied together and it all was good. TNBBC will be fun tonight. Well, maybe not the 1st half, but the discussion period afterward will be something.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Sakahara : 11-06-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #83
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Steve Sakahara wrote: View Post
Then he picked up Chris and showed how to do shikko and then walk thru a resisting partner. Power that launched John and Fritz and had them laughing before they hit the ground. Franco doesn't have the bulk of these guys but he's strong and wiry - Ark's kick sent him flying back with a 'Kodak moment' look on his face.
I think Steve just called me fat...

Chris Moses
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #84
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

I had a great time last weekend at the seminar and it was a pleasure putting the names to all the faces.

For me, it was interesting and educational to play with the various drills on a much wider variety of body types and sizes than I typically get to do. I also found it interesting to see how people were doing who had visited Ark in the past or had been doing drills from Rob's seminar back in Feburary.

One thing which was mentioned in the seminar, that I think is worth repeating is the use of the back. Akuzawa mentioned that most people are familiar with using the front of the body, but not so familiar with how to move various loads onto the back. Josh and I briefly experimented with this to replicate one of the demonstrations (and I was able to move the load a tiny bit, though I was in a position and loaded in such a way I am not normally familiar with), and it will be something I will be playing around with in the future to figure out how to do properly in addition to more regular training.

Akuzawa clearly and effectively demonstrated the difference between regular strength and internal movement, through both demonstration, hands on experience, and most importantly how to properly preform the various body training exercises. I also liked that the material was presented in such a way to make it clear that the same principles were applied for both grappling and striking.

I'm sure the Northern California seminar will be very educational as well.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #85
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I'm sure the Northern California seminar will be very educational as well.
How all is going to the N. CA seminar this weekend? I fly in Friday evening. If anyone needs a ride from the aiport let me know. I land about 7:30pm and will have a car for the weekend.

Take care,

Mark J.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #86
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

So, when will a Mid-west/Chicago seminar happen? ?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #87
Yamazaru
Dojo: Florida Aikikai
United_States

If anyone is having trouble deciding to go check out Akuzawa and Rob this weekend in Cali(or anywhere else he may end up), let me just add my voice to those telling you to get out there and check 'em out ASAP.

I came out to Seattle from Florida and the seminar was more than worth the trip- Ark's skill is the real deal, and it has to be felt firsthand to be truly appreciated. I've trained with people talking about "ground strength" and "lines in the body" before, but never have I felt someone who could demonstrate the effects of these principles as effortlessly as he could. His student Rob (besides having a really great name...ahem...) has "the stuff" as well, and both of them are excellent teachers both verbally and with hands-on corrections aplenty....It's great stuff that is rarely taught in such an open manner....heck, Ark even put up with my crappy Kansai-ben and annoying questions

Also, my thanks to Chris Moses for organizing the seminar and to George Ledyard for allowing us to be in that beautiful dojo of his...a great experience!!

Rob MacPherson
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #88
Mark Gibbons
United_States

That was a good seminar and my thanks to everyone. I had a couple areas to make comments on, but I'm not at all sure the comments are worth much. I have a hard time interpreting things outside of my aikido filters.

Chris asked if I could feel a difference in the year he's been working on the aunkai methods. Well not so much with Chris, he was just a bit smoother. I never could tell what Chris was doing. Jeremy and I played on Wednesday nights for almost 2 years however. Jeremy moves better, quicker and more directly, very noticeable.

Overall the seminar methods and emphasis look and feel the same as some of the goals at the dojo I train at. The postural things, the ground connections, the internal paths, the frame, the position of the shoulder blades all seemed like things taught in aikido. We did an iriminage in class this week that when I look at it now I see it's almost identical to the synchronized walking exercise we did at the seminar. I'm not really experienced enough, even after the seminar, to distinguish the subtle differences. The seminar seemed like going to a very highly qualified expert in these areas for very specialized instruction. The solo training exercises are much more systematic than what I've been exposed to. If they don't help my aikido I'm very sure they will improve my skiing conditioning.

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #89
ChrisMoses
United_States

Thanks for the write up Mark!

Chris Moses
Old 11-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #90
dbotari
Canada

Any feedback on the Northern California seminar this past weekend? How many attended? Did anyone besides Ark and entourage do both seminars?

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #91
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
Any feedback on the Northern California seminar this past weekend? How many attended? Did anyone besides Ark and entourage do both seminars?

Regards,

Dan
>tap< >tap< "Is this thing on?"

Chris Moses
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #92
Charlie

Quote:
Actually, those dates are pretty close to when I'm supposed to be visiting Dan in Boston. I probably won't be able to make an Aunkai seminar at that time.

Sorry.

David
Didn't you go see Dan yourself recently? What does your report say?

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #93
Mark Kruger
Dojo: Aikido of Eugene
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post

Regards,

Dan
No feedback... too busy training. I will write something up later on this evening. 24-25 people attended. I don't think anyone attended both seminars.

Respectfully,
Mark Kruger

Last edited by Mark Kruger : 11-13-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: I can't write for nuthin.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #94
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Charles Burmeister wrote: View Post
Didn't you go see Dan yourself recently? What does your report say?
No, I haven't been out there yet. I didn't get a reply to my most recent e-mail. Either I've got the wrong address or it's one he doesn't check often.

But I am interested in a comparison of the major contributors to these threads. Howard Popkin hasn't said much on the subject, but as a representative of a major line of daito ryu, I'm wondering how similar his material seems to that represented by Dan. Howard is another one I want to meet. Time and money....

Also, I got this thread confused with the one about Howard Popkin's seminar in WV this past weekend....

Anyway....still want to see Dan in person....hoping for the spring....

Best wishes.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 11-13-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #95
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Actually, this relates to someone's earlier comment about "inside lines" and "outside lines" of energy.

What I experienced with the fingers pointed inward, toward each other, is that the feeling seems to go down the sides of my body, while, with fingers pointed outward, I feel it coming down into my body. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that, if it relates to anything they're doing and especially if it relates to the "inside lines" of power and the "outside lines" of power.

Thanks and best to all.

David
David,

You are correct in that pointing the arms in the directions you described separates the inside and outside lines of the body. The feelings your describe sound similar to what should be felt. (I'll inject a caution in that I'd still have to have a feel, since a lot of things can sound similar, but ultimately only hands on time together will determine whether we have stuff in common

The fingers pointing up and outward are an "orthodox" position. After a while how you augment or train the lines within the body is up to each individual.

Good post!

We should be landing in the East Coast sometime soon (read: in less than a year), hopefully you'll be able to make one of the seminars and we can compare notes
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #96
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
No, I haven't been out there yet. I didn't get a reply to my most recent e-mail. Either I've got the wrong address or it's one he doesn't check often.
Or...he might simply be ignoring you like he does me.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #97
Mark Kruger
Dojo: Aikido of Eugene
United_States

Knowing both Chris Moses and Tom Wharton, when they showed interested in what Ark is doing, I figure it was worth investigating. The fact that Robert has presented his point of view on this, and other forums, with a minimum amount of arrogance helped. Of course the Seattle seminar was scheduled on the same weekend as a firearms trainer (Southnarc) was teaching in Portland. With the Stanford seminar, I was able to have my cake and eat it too.

I was impressed with the quality and quantity of the information provided. From various instructors over the years, I've heard bits and pieces of what was covered, but never in as complete and coherent a version as was presented by Ark. The descriptions were couched in terms that were easily accessible. I think that this accessibility is one of the key reasons why Ark has been able to teach what he knows so well. The esoteric language of many internal arts has always been a problem for me.

Drills like shiko and tenchijin were taught in a progressive fashion. The rough shape was demonstrated first, then additional information was added as the students, as a group, were able to handle it. I think that the drills on Saturday were in some ways more difficult than the drills on Sunday. Having Ark and Rob going around to adjust postures and actions was invaluable. I suspect that they left a lot unsaid and uncorrected since the crowd was new to the Aunkai training methods and that more refining will occur in the future, either in other seminars in the USA or as folks visit them in Tokyo.

The down sides to the seminar are relatively minor. An earlier start time would have been helpful. 6 hours a day isn't much time to pack all of the information in. The lunch breaks could do with better planning. Some options are: allow for more time to get lunch, ask folks to pack a lunch, or send a few folks to get orders while Ark and Rob helps the others review the covered material.

Anyway, I've got a lot of material to study, so I'll stop blathering on and get back to doing the work.

Respectfully,
Mark Kruger
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #98
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
You are correct in that pointing the arms in the directions you described separates the inside and outside lines of the body. The feelings your describe sound similar to what should be felt. (I'll inject a caution in that I'd still have to have a feel, since a lot of things can sound similar, but ultimately only hands on time together will determine whether we have stuff in common
Rob,

Thanks for the confirmation! I'm not saying "we" have anything in common: I was exploring what's on your website. So I was looking for what "you" do.

I think I've seen some pictures of Ueshiba doing things with the fingers pointed in, so for years, I have done things (extending simultaneously upward and downward) with the fingers pointing in toward each other.

Recently, while exploring the tenchijin movement with the fingers pointing outward, I tried turning the hands the other way and really felt a strong difference: pointing the fingers inward felt like the "force" was coming down the outside of the arms and down the sides of my ribs. Turning them the outward felt almost like making a "funnel" that guided "the force" (gravity? tension?) down to the insides of my deltoid muscles and down through two parallel paths into the body. I thought, there must be some significance to that, but until someone earlier described Ark's saying something about "inside lines" and "outside lines" I didn't realize there was a specific function of that. So that's a kick. Thanks.

Quote:
After a while how you augment or train the lines within the body is up to each individual.

Good post!
Thanks! Can you comment more about that? I felt that the "force" was coming down into the body, but I'm guessing that feeling the connection all the way down to the ground must be major...

Quote:
We should be landing in the East Coast sometime soon (read: in less than a year), hopefully you'll be able to make one of the seminars and we can compare notes
I will prioritize it. I couldn't get up to see Dan this autumn (we had a very general time frame) and haven't been able to schedule anything more specific yet, but I am very interested in your approach and will work very hard to make it.

Again, thanks.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #99
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Or...he might simply be ignoring you like he does me.
I get insecure sometimes, but Dan has always come through, eventually, and always has a positive attitude, so I assume he is busy. I wanted to make it up there "this autumn" sometime, but family obligations (my wife's sister's wedding [$$]) knocked me off that track. So I'm trying to arrange something for the spring.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #100
Tom H.
United_States
Smile Re: *Tentative* dates for Akuzawa (Aunkai) in Seattle, WA 11/3-11/4

Quote:
I get insecure sometimes, but Dan has always come through, eventually, and always has a positive attitude, so I assume he is busy.
It's how he is. I show up somewhat regularly to train, but phone or email... good luck. By good luck, I mean fat chance, and by fat chance, I mean just about no chance :-).

You're right about his attitude, though.