Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Richard Langridge
United Kingdom
Kotegaeshi in practice

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had to use kotegaeshi for self-defense.
Thanks,
Richard
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Kotegaeshi in practice

I haven't, but a mid-kyu dojo mate did it in a club with the expected results.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
raul rodrigo
Philippines

A nidan friend of mine did it in response to a mugger coming at him with a knife. He says as he turned and threw, he felt the bones in the man's hand dislocate.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
HooverGurl
United_States

I have, actually. It worked out pretty well. I got the guy to let go of me, which was my primary concern.

Someone save me if you will
And take away all these pills
And please just save me if you can
From my blasphemy in my wasteland
Save Me, Shinedown
Old 04-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

I've used it as a couch commando to wrestle the remote away from someone, worked very well.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

kotegaeshi is a very effective technique. I have used it from time to time on the job and also in MMA style fighting on guys that are not all that experienced.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
Aristeia
New Zealand

I've used it a bunch of times in BJJ sparring from knees. Not usually twice against the same guy but I guess that's not the point. Fantastic to see the "WTF??" look on their face as they go over.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 04-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Richard Langridge
United Kingdom

Cool, thanks for the responses, as a beginner I suspect it would be the first thing that came to mind to use if I needed it.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Aristeia
New Zealand

IMO the first thing that comes to mind to use should be 1) get off the line, 2)take balance (third point). If you happen to get a technique of some sort on the end, all well and good, but those are the two things to aim for not the end result. Those are the two things that will save your butt.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
IMO the first thing that comes to mind to use should be...
Key word being "should". In actuallity I've found the first things to come to mind are 1) freeze in panic and 2) wince in pain

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #11
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Richard Langridge wrote:
[...] as a beginner I suspect it would be the first thing that came to mind to use if I needed it.
*sigh* Then you'll probably not pull it off against a serious attacker. No, I am really not interested in anecdotal evidence. I am talking statistics here.

If you have the misfortune to be in a place of danger, without the opportunity to run to safely and cannot diffuse the situation with words, then your best bet is to let your body do whatever technique it feels like. This is how you become good at martial arts: you train hard to teach your body how to act without you having to give muscles groups orders. The former is fast, the latter slow.

Mu shin, mu gamae -- no mind, no posture.

/just a thought.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Michael Fooks, sounds like your experiences are similar to mine with BJJ. All my guys I work with get taken out by kotegaeshi usually at least once or twice by me. I then teach them to keep their hands in and elbows bent and don't reach for someone.

When I go to submission matches where wrist locks are legal, one of the first things I will do is to "bulldog" , push, or check into my opponent to see if they will extend arms. Wrestlers seems to always do that! From there I have done usually kotegaeshi, sometimes sankyo, and once I got Ikkyo for a takedown.

It is amazing, like you said, to see them look in utter shock and disbelief that they got tapped in about 20 seconds from a fricken wrist lock!

Again, you only get away with this once, on the first guy, then you have to go back to the hard stuff!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
Nito
United_States

A number of years ago, working as a bouncer, I was talking to a somewhat inebriated gentlemen on a set of stairs inside the club, trying to convince him that the object of his affection would probably not be appreciative of him trying to woo her in the womens restroom. I was always a better talker than a bouncer, so I was kind of surprised when he reached out to try and push me (down the stairs). He was beginning to apply pressure to my chest, so I took one step down, grabbed his hand, and applied a direct, pretty nifty kotegaishi. I would like to say that it was a textbook example, but 1) I hadn't practiced aikido on stairs before. 2) He was really drunk. 3) I had been training for only about a year or so (read nifty kotegaishi as near frantic, complete lack of finesse, sandwich clamping of the guys hand). End result was he was coherent enough to realize the logic of my argument when I had him leaning half way over the railing. The cavalry (other bigger, meaner looking bouncers) came before I could get myself into any more trouble, and we all lived happily ever after. One of the guys asked me later, 'what was that, some sort of Ninja stuff, or what?'
To modify what Mr. Fooks wrote, sometime getting off the line isn't possible (staircase). Luckily, he had drank enough to forgive my lack of experience and skill. I did manage to take his balance, and it was enough to save my butt
Old 04-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Manuel Delgado-Eberhardt wrote:
To modify what Mr. Fooks wrote, sometime getting off the line isn't possible (staircase). Luckily, he had drank enough to forgive my lack of experience and skill. I did manage to take his balance, and it was enough to save my butt
In a situation where there isn't much room and the drunken fool is pushing against your chest, it seems to me to be better to grab his wrist, trap his palm against your chest, turn 180, and do hiji-kime (otherwise known as wake gatame in judo). You wind up in a straightforward submission without the risk of doing more permanent injury that he might incur if you send him flying. Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
Nito
United_States

A very good thought!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #16
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I used it in quite an inoffensive situation once; a drunk girl was arsing around with a big knife at a party so I gently took her hand and used kote-gaeshi as a 'knife removal' technique - very slowly.

I know an ex-instructor used it instinctively when he was stopping someone attacking a woman; he was suprised that the attacker was actually thrown through the air.

Also, a friend of min who studied ju-jitsu used it on an aggressor and damaged their wrist (as in previous post - in this case it was a very linear form but still effective).

My top 3 tchniques for effectiveness (with high level of aggression) = ikkyo, irimi-nage and kote-gaeshi. Noticeably, all these can be done from the outside as well (i.e. not exposing yourself to other arm).

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 04-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
samuraisam
United_States
Thumbs down Re: Kotegaeshi in practice

Quote:
Richard Langridge wrote:
Hi, just wondered if anyone has had to use kotegaeshi for self-defense.
Thanks,
Richard

Hey there Richard,

I've used it a bunch while making arrests. It works out real well....I love it because I can apply it in response to a persons reaction. It tends to make most folks calm down a bit.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

I think kotegaeshi is a wonderful law enforcement tactic!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #19
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Manuel Delgado-Eberhardt wrote:
No doubt, off the line is always an idead situation. However having said that I think we're sometimes a little to close minded in what we might mean by off the line. e.g. I would interpret your step down onto the next stair as a type of off the line. (albeit one that doesn't leave you where you'd like to be it ws the movent that was available to you). I suspect it help stretch uke out a little in anticipation of the kote gaeshi?
I think "off the line" in some situations can be as simple as a hip turn, something just to change the relationship between your position and the line of force.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
Aristeia
New Zealand
Wink Re: Kotegaeshi in practice

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Michael Fooks, sounds like your experiences are similar to mine with BJJ. All my guys I work with get taken out by kotegaeshi usually at least once or twice by me. I then teach them to keep their hands in and elbows bent and don't reach for someone.

When I go to submission matches where wrist locks are legal, one of the first things I will do is to "bulldog" , push, or check into my opponent to see if they will extend arms. Wrestlers seems to always do that! From there I have done usually kotegaeshi, sometimes sankyo, and once I got Ikkyo for a takedown.

It is amazing, like you said, to see them look in utter shock and disbelief that they got tapped in about 20 seconds from a fricken wrist lock!

Again, you only get away with this once, on the first guy, then you have to go back to the hard stuff!
Yep that all sounds about right. I also get katame waza type pins on people from time to time (after all it's just omoplata done with the arms right). And when starting from knees going head to head a type of tenchi nage works very well to take people down - not tried it from standing though. Heck I even got a kaiten nage on someone from knees the other day.

Our budding BJJ org went to our first comp a few weeks ago. A couple of my guys who also used to train Aikido with me (to shodan and ikkyu level - although both were more than ready for the next grade), ended up meeting each other in the semi final. I was very saddened when they resisted my suggestion that they spend the first two minutes putting on an Aikido demo to see if the ref could keep track of the takedowns and then just go from the ground.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #21
Suwariwazaman
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati
United_States

Hello any tips on how to survive Ukemi-Urinshu?Using Kotegaeshi, or any other wrist turn. Oh and Sankyo.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #22
Suwariwazaman
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati
United_States
Eek! Re: Kotegaeshi in practice

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Hello any tips on how to survive Ukemi-Urinshu?Using Kotegaeshi, or any other wrist turn. Oh and Sankyo.
"Connect with uke like heaven and earth. Keep your body triangular, your mind circular"-O Sensei
Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #23
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
"Connect with uke like heaven and earth. Keep your body triangular, your mind circular"-O Sensei
<Yawn> Now if you could actually explain what that means physically I might give you a cookie
Old 05-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #24
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

Mike was a prison guard in NY and it was his job to extract reluctant inmates from their cells. He wasn't allowed to have any weapons, so he decided to study Aikido. After his first class or so, he was dealing with a violent prisoner and accidently found he had the guy in kotegaeshi. He took the guy down and the guy got up, so he took him to the ground again and he got up again. After a few rounds of this, Mike said to himself, "I really gotta learn how to pin!".

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 05-05-2006, 06:32 AM   #25
Aiki x
Kotegaeshi in practice

Had a couple of guys square up and threaten me after I confronted them about vandalising a youth centre. I grabbed one of the guys wrist and piled on a Kote Gaeshi (Yes, attacking with Aikido!!) . The pain and fear of a broken wrist bought tears to his eyes and made him beg to be released. I do some BJJ, I'll have to try it there.