Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Heart in martial art ?

Hello dear Aikiweb members

Some time ago I watched a documentary on modern clinical studies of the heart that has made
me think a bit..

It was interesting and the subject of interest in relation to these questions I am asking here is
the fact that the heart is equipped with neurons, just like the brain and is communicating via neurons
to the brain and that the heart during repeated tests was measured to react prior to the brain upon various stimuli. The heart was actually setting off emotional reactions well before the brain became aware of the various stimuli, the heart recieved stimuli from the various sensory systems and relayed
these stimuli to the brain for further processing.. thats at least how I understood it..

Also in the studies of heart transplants there is a recurring pattern that points towards the fact that
a person with a new heart will often change his / her character personality and skillset and adopt skills that the previous owner of the heart had- for instance the ability to sing along a piece of classical music previously unknown to the person. The conclusion is that the heart has itīs own memory and this memory is transplanted into the new owner.

Theabove have been met with skepticism by the establishment and several doctors interviewed were not able to explain the results of the tests being made. Unfortunately I donīt remember the title of the documentary -I will try to find it if I can.

In my study of aikido I have come across several instances where the heart is being mentioned
as a key element in doing various techniques.
I donīt know much about the subject and I ask if anyone can shed some light on this in relation
to martial arts practise. How do we use the heart in Martial Arts practise and is it possible to
react instantly by "listening" to the heart without mental processing ?

Cheers
Lars

PS. I donīt know whether or not the documentary actually tells the "truth", but in relation to
Aikido I feel it rang a bell somehow so please bear with me..
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Heart in martial art ?

Sounds like an interesting documentary.

Many people mention heart in training more metaphorical as intention, intensity, and commitment.

OYOH, our body is a neuro-network that beats, and breathes, and functions without conscious attention, thought, or direction.

We talk about muscle-memory and the heart is a muscle that can be developed.

I read an article the other day about the difference in brain activity between a powerful karate punch by a black belt versus brain activity from a beginner.

I often read about neuro-science studies in mental health.

I think we will find more as neuro-sciences studies move forward.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
lars beyer
Denmark
Smile Re: Heart in martial art ?

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post

Many people mention heart in training more metaphorical as intention, intensity, and commitment.

OYOH, our body is a neuro-network that beats, and breathes, and functions without conscious attention, thought, or direction.

We talk about muscle-memory and the heart is a muscle that can be developed.

I read an article the other day about the difference in brain activity between a powerful karate punch by a black belt versus brain activity from a beginner.

I often read about neuro-science studies in mental health.

I think we will find more as neuro-sciences studies move forward.
Thanks for answering, I guess the topic is very diverse and my questions are not really specific..
At one point I couldnīt get a specific opening right during a paired aikiken kata, and I was told to use the heart for that particular opening. It made perfect sence on an intuitive level, and worked well, so I guess I am just trying to look for an explanation of some sort.. hmm.
Cheers !

Last edited by lars beyer : 08-19-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
aiki-jujutsuka

Just did a quick google search and found this article that seems to be discussing the very same things as this documentary you saw. It is a fascinating read as I had no idea the heart was this complex!

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%...ed%20Salem.pdf
Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Ewen Ebsworth wrote: View Post
Just did a quick google search and found this article that seems to be discussing the very same things as this documentary you saw. It is a fascinating read as I had no idea the heart was this complex!

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%...ed%20Salem.pdf
Yes, I also found it in the first couple of hits on a google search, it seems to be dealing with bridging the gap between science, psychology and spirituality through neuro science.
Very interresting, but since itīs not widely accepted knowledge (to my very limited knowledge about the subject) at least I would be carefull not to jump to any conclusions.. but very interresting indeed. I was not aware either that the heart is such an complex organ, and neither the rest of the body btw. but very interresting to study
Cheers !
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
lars beyer
Denmark

I believe I found the documentary I was talking about here
Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Mary Heiny sensei often speaks of opening up ones heart as an important first step in aikido practice. Fascinating article by the way. Thanks for bringing it up. Something to think on for a while.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post

Please excuse my lacking english skills, but what does OYOH mean ?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Yes, I also found it in the first couple of hits on a google search, it seems to be dealing with bridging the gap between science, psychology and spirituality through neuro science.
Very interresting, but since itīs not widely accepted knowledge (to my very limited knowledge about the subject) at least I would be carefull not to jump to any conclusions.. but very interresting indeed. I was not aware either that the heart is such an complex organ, and neither the rest of the body btw. but very interresting to study
Cheers !
I would not draw any "new age" conclusions, but it has been proven that the heart is much more then just a muscle or a pump. As such it is not so much "not widely accepted knowledge", but rather a matter of not fully understanding what is going on. It is part of what is called "new biology". New Biology goes against the old mechanistic view of the body and of nature as a whole. New Biology is about understanding how one part of that whole connects with an other part of that whole. It has tremendous consequences for the way we treat forests, plants, gardens, animals and humans. The problem is that this approach is fairly young, new biology started in the 80's - 90's and that the knowledge is still very incomplete. But everyone agrees that the human body is far more complex then we ever imagined. The heart is a good example. I have no doubt that new biology in time will have a positive impact on Aikido and other Budo. Although I do not know if one could really receive memories of someone else's life, when getting a heart-transplant?

Tom
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
dps

Quote:
Please excuse my lacking english skills, but what does OYOH mean ?
Ditto.

dps
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

On your other hand maybe? Shouldn't that be OTOH instead?

Anyway... We practice with Aiki no Kokoro in mind...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
On your other hand maybe? Shouldn't that be OTOH instead?

Anyway... We practice with Aiki no Kokoro in mind...
What does that mean ?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
I would not draw any "new age" conclusions, but it has been proven that the heart is much more then just a muscle or a pump. As such it is not so much "not widely accepted knowledge", but rather a matter of not fully understanding what is going on. It is part of what is called "new biology". New Biology goes against the old mechanistic view of the body and of nature as a whole. New Biology is about understanding how one part of that whole connects with an other part of that whole. It has tremendous consequences for the way we treat forests, plants, gardens, animals and humans. The problem is that this approach is fairly young, new biology started in the 80's - 90's and that the knowledge is still very incomplete. But everyone agrees that the human body is far more complex then we ever imagined. The heart is a good example. I have no doubt that new biology in time will have a positive impact on Aikido and other Budo. Although I do not know if one could really receive memories of someone else's life, when getting a heart-transplant?

Tom
Hi, I donīt know whether or not a donors memoirs would be partially transferred to a recipient other than what the documentary I mention above tries to prove ( I didnīt make the link obvious by underlining ) but if you klick "here" in post #6 there is a link to youtube where the whole documentary is available. In the documentary there are several recipients who describes the changes they have experienced about their skills and various preferences in life cross referenced with the donors skills and preferences. Also the article that is mentioned by aiki-jujutsuka talks about the possibility..
One of the reasons a heart transplant is possible is related to the fact that a heart has itīs own "brain" so well before itīs connected to the recipients own brain (this takes cionsiderable time after the actual implant) it controls itīs own heartrate.. so in a way itīs autonomous.. But I donīt know about these things other than what I have learned from the documentary.. I have googled the documentary and itīs produced for channel 4 AFAIR and it did start some discussion back in 2006 when it was released but I havenīt read anything that compromises itīs integrity as such.. but as you say itīs new biology..
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
I have googled the documentary and itīs produced for channel 4 AFAIR and it did start some discussion back in 2006 when it was released but I havenīt read anything that compromises itīs integrity as such.. but as you say itīs new biology..
Channel 4? Didn't they broadcast "the Global Warming Swindle"?

Alex
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
lbb
United_States

I'm guessing that a lot of the heart's "special" nature could be explained by understanding the autonomic nervous system, and (I'm guessing) possibly the nature of cardiac muscle. Yes, the autonomic nervous system is neural tissue, and yes, cardiac muscle is muscle tissue, but they also have unique characteristics. You can't somehow train the rest of your body, the rest of your nerves and muscles, to take on these characteristics.

As for the metaphorical use of the term "heart", that seems to be to be referring to characteristics of the human consciousness - which, call me Betty Buzzkill if you want, but I can't imagine residing anywhere but in the brain.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Channel 4? Didn't they broadcast "the Global Warming Swindle"?

Alex
Actually I am not sure, but I watched it on Danish television and they are as crooked or not as the next one..

But anyway it seems the producer of the film is a small independent producer which would be normal for
that kind of topic. Itīs listed in IMDB, look it up if you feel like.
Cheers
Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that a lot of the heart's "special" nature could be explained by understanding the autonomic nervous system, and (I'm guessing) possibly the nature of cardiac muscle. Yes, the autonomic nervous system is neural tissue, and yes, cardiac muscle is muscle tissue, but they also have unique characteristics. You can't somehow train the rest of your body, the rest of your nerves and muscles, to take on these characteristics.

As for the metaphorical use of the term "heart", that seems to be to be referring to characteristics of the human consciousness - which, call me Betty Buzzkill if you want, but I can't imagine residing anywhere but in the brain.
Ok Betty Buzzkill, I only know one Betty, and she is black !

Last edited by lars beyer : 08-20-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Humour