Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #326
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Training Internal Strength

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
I sorta feel we're around the limits of what we can have as a dialogue until we get hands on time (or have mutual contacts vet what we're doing) - but I agree with you that there's a joining where the two natural forces of ground/gravity meet.
No one goes farther than they're willing and I won't ask it of you.

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Part of the training is managing the intersection of those forces in you AND conditioning your body to more efficiently manage that intersection (and additional "inputs" - whether they be a weapon, other people, etc.).

If we go back to the "what" . ...
So there's an intersection and a natural power output - whatever you wanna call it. But at this point there's a conditioned trick for getting that output where you want it to go - hands, foot, head, through somebody else, out the end of a weapon, etc. This involves stretch and elasticity of the body as well around the management and delivery of that intersection - through the bones, ligaments and muscles acting as one unit.

I don't go into too much detail online around this, because there's some risks when you haven't been shown how to do it correctly - and I'm a firm believer in this area of the "it has to be felt" principle.
I am sensitive to that point, and give you credit for genuine concern for the unwitting.

You don't have to agree with my views on shear stress, moment and angular momentum transfer to know we share concerns about uninformed training. I don't promote a method, there are several of those -- I work on principles. Some wish to think me ivory tower, impractical, or substituting verbiage for training. Let them think so.

You mentioned weapons twice. Weapons are irreducible --there is no muscle, fascia, ligament, nervous connection or anything else, -- nothing but the connection itself. Weapons is where I began to see things that led me where I am. Clearing the line while in contact without lifting or moving the sword beforehand is the genesis of my thought. The "what" in the body that acts in the same way became my guide to finding things in the body that utilize, are sensitive to, and manipulate that "what."

You seem a practical man, and that is commendable, so you want a method that works. But the "why" of the "what" is my thing. And that demands a little more than just a method that gives some results -- and several do, and many are satisfied with that. My thing involves critically taking apart examples to find common threads that lead to consistent explanations that may (eventually) lead to better or more efficient results.

Demanding immediately applicable methods is somewhat beside the point -- at least for me, as I have no wish to supplant any that are out there. By analogy, without such an approach we would be left with the only uses of airflow being sailing ships and windmills -- but we have 747's and helicopters. I think the topic deserves more along those lines. What I have done so far makes all the training methods I was given in the last twenty-five years work FAR better over the last ten (and as I see it, more like they were intended). YMMV.

That's one reason why I don't "get out," apart from personal commitments -- I have confirmation that what I am working on is both useful and true. I can't ask for more than that to keep me going in this direction.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #327
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
That's one reason why I don't "get out," apart from personal commitments -- I have confirmation that what I am working on is both useful and true. I can't ask for more than that to keep me going in this direction.
Erick, I "get out" and have done so, in relation to internal strength, for about 35 years. I also have a fairly analytic mind and got many 'confirmations' along the way. The problem is that information about the full spectrum of "internal strength" skills is very limited and you can't extrapolate it all by yourself. Get out and beat the bushes.

Mike Sigman
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #328
tokauhan
Finland

Dear Fellow Martial Artists,
First sorry that my response on this comes about an year too late. Also please excuse me if this is in wrong part of this forum.
I am the founder of the system called Kyusho Aiki Jutsu and by selecting this name to represent the method i teach is to respect old and current masters in the world. Not to disrespect any arts by any means.
I have been studying martial arts 30+ years and respectfully have been looking all possible directions to seek answers – nothing high flying, but congrete, solid knowledge. I am humbly sorry if someone somewhere is insulted by using the term aiki in the name of this art. It is not to be directed to aiki-jutsu nor aiki-jujutsu, only to the term of aiki.

The origin of the name of Kyusho Aiki Jutsu -method
Despite the controversial discussions about George A. Dillman or anything related. I would like to state my point of view with little explanations of the name of the Art i teach.
My personal experience comes mainly from karate, but during last 17 years i have been traveling all around and met various experts of various martial arts. Nothing was better or worse than another one. What i truly have found, is humble, dedicated martial artists all around.
Before i met Mr. Dillman, i was training traditional karate and there were not allowed to ask questions, just practise what were shown. He ’gave’ the permission to ask questions. That was first good change.
He gave also a lot of valid, and good information about body’s functions and yet, pressure points – how to manipulate ones body in the situation of survive. In this writing i do not comment anything about chi, ki, prana etc. Or its controversial discussion is it true or not.
I live literally in the middle of no-where, and i have had lot of time to read, study, ponder and try out foundings/ideas. During this path i have found the importance of knowing oneself, not only mental but also physical way. This has lead forward being able to ”read” opponent(s) as well, to spot their weaknesses upon a physical contact and without.
Kyusho, is in the name, because, even i haven’t been associated with George Dillman since 1993, i still respect his years of study and his will to share what he has – so i felt that best way to respect that is to use word Kyusho in the name. My studies has gone way more deeper, than point here or there. In the direction of medical studies, to understand phenomenons beyond.
Aiki, has way more deeper meaning to me. I have studied diligently many masters, and their tips and hints. I cannot say that i fully understand it in the way they did, but i believe that i have found the essence of it. I truly and fully respect the history of the arts.
To me it means the meet opponents force / attack without physical force, or fear. Meeting does not happen only in the physical nor mental way, but together. Its difficult, if not impossible to plan the movements, those will appear when actual, intented attack has been decided.
Doing a movement from the center thru the heart will create a moment, where the energy of attack is neutralized and if needed sended back to uke’s mind to be redirected certain direction. This happens within the movement of combining subconscious mind and body, without muscular effort while maintaining balance and ’empty body’.
Third part of the name, Jutsu, means literaly technique or way, i didnt want to use word do for it as many sport arts uses that, jutsu refers to the direction of ancient masters and their work. To show respect towards them.
For me the name is not the issue at all, it could be called whatever name – but as above i wroted, i hope that you can see my deep respect to all those who has walked on this path before my time. The name of the system is full of respect.

I also would like to ask few questions…
Who was the first one to use name aiki?
What was his understanding of it?
How he could find it, if it cannot be learned without someone teaches it?
Has aiki changed during the years of history? If yes, why?
S. Takeda, M. Ueshiba, Y. Sawaga, G. Shioda and many others has described aiki different way, as in this forum discussion someone stated – everyone experiences a aiki in their own, personal way. And this is why everyone will answer differently to the question ’What is aiki?’

Thank you for you time for reading this thru.

Yours in the Arts,

Toni Kauhanen

"It's not difficult really, only thing is to know how.."
- unknown