Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
azrielg
Dojo: Shobu of Boston
United_States
Visiting foreign dojos

I've been practicing aikido for only a few weeks (training in some way every day). I've been told that I'm advancing quickly, but obviously I am a complete newb. Now I'm home for the holidays in Los Angeles and I want to do some training. However, I'm not sure what the typical etiquette is regarding dropping in as a visitor for a few sessions, particularly as a beginner and with respect to crossing aikido divisions (there are no direct affiliate dojos in los angeles).

I've found a non-profit aikikai dojo in West LA that ostensibly welcomes visitors, but I'm concerned that being a beginner visitor might not be as welcome as a more experienced one because beginners are more of a burden. Maybe I'm over thinking it... I really just want to continue learning.

advice, onegaishimasu!

Azriel
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada
Re: Visiting foreign dojos

Over thinking it for sure. Just go. Remember you are representing your teacher though so make sure you mind your manners:-)

Cheers,

Russ
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Check the dojo's schedule and show up for a beginner class. You'll learn something even if you're past where they're at, and you can find out if you'll be welcome in a more advanced class.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I second the above idea. Go to a beginner class and just be up front that you haven't been training long. I am sure they would love to have you on the mat and if they think you are ready, I'm sure they will invite you to other classes. Have fun!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Drop in train. Let them know that you are new to the art and what affiliation/style you currently practice so that they will understand where you are coming from in case of questions or hardship in doing something. Also, I think your dojo is ASU affiliated. Here are the ASU dojos in L.A.

Dojo Glendale Aikikai (single)
Distance: 6 miles (North of los angeles, CA)
Address: Pacific Community Center & Park, 501 S. Pacific Ave.; Glendale, CA 91204
Instructors: Mark Adachi, 5th dan
Phone: (818) 548-3219
Schedule: MTh 7:30-9pm; Sa 10-11:30am
E-mail: kinlam@sbcglobal.net
URL: http://www.glendaleaikido.org
Affiliation: ASU
Admin: Last Updated: January 11th, 2010

Dojo Musubi Dojo (single)
Distance: 30 miles (East of los angeles, CA)
Address: 1420 N. Claremont Bl, Suite 204A; Claremont, CA 91711
Instructors: Ronald Rubin, 5th dan; Susan Perry, 5th dan
Phone: (909) 920-9929 (dojo) or (909) 624-7770 (Arete Press)
URL: http://www.aiki.com/musubi
Admin: Last Updated: February 23rd, 2002

Dojo Redlands Aikikai (single)
Distance: 61 miles (East of los angeles, CA)
Address: 590 Nevada Street, Suites A, B & C; Redlands, CA 92373Country: United States
Instructors: Chetan Prakash, 5th dan
Phone: (909) 335-5411
Schedule: MWThFSu
E-mail: info@aikidoredlands.org
URL: http://www.aikidoredlands.org
Style: Aikikai
Admin: Last Updated: February 1st, 2010
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
azrielg
Dojo: Shobu of Boston
United_States

Thank you all very much for your responses. I will drop in on a beginner class wherever I decide to go
Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
RED
United_States

I think it is important to remember to introduce yourself to the head instructor before a class. Either by showing up when you know the Sensei will be at the dojo, calling them if they having an obviously open stance with taking phone calls(check their website) or even dropping an email to ask for permission to train. Regardless, I'm believer in asking for permission to train when you aren't explicitly invited.

MM
Old 12-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I think it is important to remember to introduce yourself to the head instructor before a class. Either by showing up when you know the Sensei will be at the dojo, calling them if they having an obviously open stance with taking phone calls(check their website) or even dropping an email to ask for permission to train. Regardless, I'm believer in asking for permission to train when you aren't explicitly invited.
I'd agree with making contact first if its possible.

If it isn't I'd still go and enjoy the practice.

There are some who view one off visitors as an inconvenience, and I can appreciate why to a degree but personally I think they usually bring a positive vibe with them and enrich training for everyone.

As an instructor I always think that if I do well then they'll send their friends one day.

Maybe my situation is different to many but we are right next to a major city railway station so are ideally located for many visitors to come - and we do get a lot - mostly business visitors here for a week or less, but sometimes they come back for much longer periods.

Having said that - I did visit one dojo where the instructor was quite quiet - almost introverted and I am pretty much the opposite. In retrospect I think my enthusiasm didn't gel too well with the 'monastic' vibe in the dojo....although it sat well with some of the rather repressed students.

Was still a good learning experience though - going forward I'll be a bit more sensitive to the prevailing attitude in the dojo's I visit.

D