Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
trying to gauge interest in new club Jackson/Somerset MI

Hi all,

I had wanted to leave my old dojo information up on the web with the new potential location, but that is against policy, so please help me with discussion of potential interest (unfortunately the best way is actually being on dojo search but this will have to do).

There is the possibility of starting a club, maybe once or twice a week to start, in the Jackson area of Michigan, or south to Somerset or environs. The affiliation would be USAF and it would be a very small endeavor. Before going and spending thousands of dollars on this, I want to see if there are any folks who are in the area who are looking for a place to practice (if not already at a dojo). I know there is only one dojo in the area, which is Yoshinkan, so not the style that I practice.

Is there any interest in a club Aikikai style within the Jackson area?

Jun, could you possibly consider a separate listing for potential dojo/clubs in the search engine? That would make it possible for those of us contemplating a new club to see if interest is there before going through the motions? I had a club before and lost my shirt financially, and don't want to go that route again, but find myself an hours drive from the only dojo that I want to practice at that it is next to impossible to practice regularly. I would imagine there are others in this position as well.

Cheers, and hope to read responses soon. Rachel
Old 04-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States
Re: trying to gauge interest in new club Jackson/Somerset MI

The best thing to do is check at your lcoal YMCA or other community/recreation center. They will provide the location and students. If it doesn't take off, then youre not out all that money.
You don't really want to rent a place for a small club that only meets 1-2 times per week. It's too expensive.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Hi Rachel,

My vote doesn't really count as I don't live in the area but I sincerely hope you get enough interest to get a club started.

Keep us posted and maybe one day some of us from the West-er side of the state may come over

Good luck,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

thanks Jim and Bronson, right now this is really at the embryonic stage. I just find myself without a viable training venue due to the move out of Ann Arbor. Jackson has one dojo (at the YMCA, so that is obviously out) and there isn't anything else closer than Ann Arbor, which is just too far for me and my crazy work schedule. I do hope there is some way to really gauge the interest, because if it is there, I will look for a place to use a couple of times a week. I really appreciate both of your input. Best, Rachel
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

Hi Rachel

I live in the middle of the mitten, my dojo is in Mt. Pleasant, the teacher there is very good. I would love to see more dojos around though!

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hi Rachel,

I remember your posts regarding your last dojo a while back. Sorry to hear that it was not viable in the end.

An approach I have used to get an idea of the need in an area is to contact the local martial arts groups (especially the Yoshinkan dojo) and inform them of the possibility of starting up training. I'd leave contact information and then sometime later I'd find a central popular venue (like the YMCA) and have a well-publicised demo that covers the main areas of the method. Often interested parties will show up to the demo (especially after the word had gotten around to the local MA community) and make contact if interested in training. It may not cost much to arrange either imho.

Just an option. This approach has worked for us.
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 04-10-2007 at 10:28 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca