Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2002, 10:31 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Star Wars

C'mon now, how many of us got into MAs, not entirely but influenced, 20 or less years ago because of Star Wars? The ancient mythologies: Light and Dark, master and apprentice, the Force (Ki), the glow in the dark katana, etc? Just wondering if anyone will own up to it.
May the Force be with you...

~~Paula~~
Old 08-08-2002, 10:41 AM   #2
mike lee
Cool the dark side

The force may be with you, but to me Star Wars is a farce. Bruce Lee was my main motivator.

No film-making illusions there -- just pure martial arts skill. He was IMHO "The Greatest."
Old 08-08-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Hi !

My entering in the martial arts has no relation to movies,but as part of an acting assignment I have been wandering the dojo in full Darth Wader outfit (with George Lucas approved mask and outfit)reciting imaginary scenes from Star Wars complete with voice distortion unit.Now if someone was passing by

at that time ...

So there you go !

yours - Chr.B.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Christian Boddum (ChristianBoddum) wrote:
Hi !

My entering in the martial arts has no relation to movies,but as part of an acting assignment I have been wandering the dojo in full Darth Wader outfit (with George Lucas approved mask and outfit)reciting imaginary scenes from Star Wars complete with voice distortion unit.Now if someone was passing by

at that time ...

So there you go !

yours - Chr.B.
There's an authentic voice distortion unit which makes you sound like James Earl Jones ?
Old 08-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #5
Wayne
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
For me it was watching lots of Kung Fu reruns while in college.

Wayne
Old 08-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #6
TomE

In our dojo the whole Star Wars thing has become somewhat of an inside joke, ever since we collectively watched those movies at somebody's home after practice one evening... Sensei regularly uses Star Wars analogies when explaining bokken techniques now - laughingly, of course (it's not yet that serious, don't worry).

But when I pass my shodan test, I'm going to replace my bokken with a real light saber anyway, heh

To do is to be. (Nietzsche) ... To be is to do. (Descartes) ... Do be do be do. (Sinatra).
Old 08-08-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
Deb Fisher
Dammit, Paula! You made me admit it!

MA and my own perverse identification/idolization with Luke Skywalker are branches on one tree. Shodan, schmodan... I just want to be a Jedi knight like my father.

May The Force Be With You,

Deb

Deb Fisher
Old 08-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #8
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Hi !

Well,the voicedistortionunit was actually

a Boss-overdrive unit operated by a microphone

and a speaker/amplifier attachment - running on 9 volts.dc.

But actually someone didn't take notice that

the voice of James Earl Jones is not distorted

and resemble a clear Black voice in a

Hamlet setting.

Forgot my gloves one time ,had to improvise,

but I did use a nikkyo variation one time,

as a kid challenged me to a fight and thought I was for real...

There you go again !!

Yours - Chr.B.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Wow... this discussion... is... very... spiritual?

P.S.:

I want to sound like James Earl Jones too...

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 08-08-2002, 04:21 PM   #10
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Actually the one that started all for me and to this day still impresses me the most is the most agile and gracious of all martial arts masters...Bugs Bunny!
Old 08-08-2002, 06:01 PM   #11
Deb Fisher
Hello Thalib,

This is a perfectly spiritual question. The force is within every one of us, it binds the whole galaxy together...

Besides, Joseph Campbell, a theologan wrote a whole book about the Star Wars myth. Kudos to Paula for a well-placed thread.

Deb Fisher
Old 08-08-2002, 08:10 PM   #12
Brian Crowley
I love the Star Wars movies, but I would not say they were an influence on my taking martial arts. Many other media probably influenced me - including Kung Fu (the old series), Kung Fu theatre and, let us not forget, The Master (remember the "1st American Ninja" who was searching for his son or some such thing). Embarrassing, but true.

Anyway, this thread reminded me of a reference in the book "Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training" to watching the battle between the Emperor and Vader (in Empire Strikes Back) in slow motion because you would otherwise miss certain things that were not meant to be seen at the regular speed. I tried that at one point and had no idea what the heck the author was talking about. Anyone have any idea what she is referring to ? I would love to know !
Old 08-08-2002, 09:36 PM   #13
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
If you had the power of the jedi, why in the world would you even do aikido?

Isn't force push, pull, lightning, choke, speed and the jedi mind trick enough to get you out and into any situation?

I wish I was a jedi...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #14
JohnH
Dojo: SWT Aikido Club; SJC Aikido Club
I hadn't even realized it until my girlfriend first pointed it out to me. The more I think about it the more I realize that she was right. I took up Aikido because, deep down inside, I want to be a Jedi.

And I'm okay with that.

Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:33 AM   #15
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
"Lucas talked to many masters of Aikido, because he had heard of the energy that is involved with Aikido. He ended up using a lot of these ideas in designing the Force"

Thus says _The Bad Guide to Star Wars_ (http://www.roguetrader.com/~brandon/.../BadGuide.html).

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/
Old 08-09-2002, 02:35 AM   #16
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Star Wars

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
C'mon now, how many of us got into MAs, not entirely but influenced, 20 or less years ago because of Star Wars? The ancient mythologies: Light and Dark, master and apprentice, the Force (Ki), the glow in the dark katana, etc? Just wondering if anyone will own up to it.

May the Force be with you...
Hmm, I think I am caught with my pants down

Can you imagine my great disappointment when I finally figured out that aikidoka wasnt the japanese word for Jedi. Currently I am checking whether aikidoka in't secretly a vulcan, klingon, minbari or vrogon word for Jedi, so I am still keeping my hopes up.

I wanted, and still want, to become a Jedi, although I must confess that there is one little things that worries me a bit:

if you have this great power with the force, then why run around and wack each other with swords?

May the swatch be with you

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 08-09-2002, 03:12 AM   #17
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Cool

PAULA! V kewl post i love it, we are all but padawan's to our master jedi's (Sensei's)

star wars didnt actualy influence my liking in japanese sword arts i've pretty much liked that from being a kid, me and friends used to take longish sticks stripping them and using them as swords and would practice pretending to be japanese warriors fighting the mongols or whatever (in england were bored by robin hood n the nights n stuff) we had lots of fun as kids ov like oh... i dont know 17?

Hehehehe only kidding we were like 10-12

but i must say i actualy do beleive there is a force (Ki)in everything around us its a very pagan belief that everything around us has energy to it etc...

i wonder if thats where george lucas got it from?

pete

May the Ki be with you

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:21 AM   #18
akiy

Re: Re: Star Wars

Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:
Can you imagine my great disappointment when I finally figured out that aikidoka wasnt the japanese word for Jedi.
A rumor that I heard was that "jedi" came from the Japanese word "jidai" as in "jidai geki" which means "period drama" -- a kind of "soap opera program set in the samurai days."

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:30 AM   #19
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Hi Pete L.,

Yes, I believe that whatever you call it: Force, Ki, God, Breath of Life, etc. it's all the same mysterious, binding power in all of creation. I call it God because that word is more readily understood. It's in everything and everything is it. I once asked a born again Christian friend, who had just told me that I needed an intermediary named Jesus: Where is God not? She said she believed that God was everywhere...so where is God not? I couldn't be separate if I tried, just blind. Even in the deepest hells of my mind there is God, Force, Ki...

Just my heart effusing

~~Paula~~
Old 08-09-2002, 08:54 AM   #20
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

paula

if you look at all the different religions you will find at one point or another that all of them beleive in a spiritual force surrounding and suffusing everything around us, to me the Goddess is in everything her essence her Ki, even the rocks

maybe one day all religion will become one or at least one will take over whenever they can plausably prove that a heaven or hell or afterlife/limbo or re-encarnation is real, but until that time i guess we must beleive after all without belief what are we? (athiest prolly)

On a lighter note I still cant get the hang of lifting rocks they just seem to sit there.

maybe i need to stand on my head with a little green man pirched on my feet.

Hmmm use the Ki you must.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-09-2002, 10:53 AM   #21
jimvance
Dojo: Jiyushinkan
A Jidai by any other name...

Quote:
Jun wrote:
A rumor that I heard was that "jedi" came from the Japanese word "jidai" as in "jidai geki" which means "period drama" -- a kind of "soap opera program set in the samurai days."
I heard that it was the term "Sengoku Jidai" that influenced him. Same word, different rumor.

Jim Vance
Old 08-09-2002, 03:11 PM   #22
31n13
hehe I had to think of the Force immediately when I read about Ki, I don't really know what my motivation was to start aikido, I guess it was seeing Jet Li movies, I know he does Wushu but anyway, it was also to control self-defense, and just the general liking of Martial Arts (movies too ), I'm regret I didn't start one sooner, I did Judo when I was little, but it bored the hell out of me, even now it's so popular I don't know what the fuss is about I just don't like looking at it and I didn't like doing it.

I'm rambling here, but nevermand that =p.

what sold me to aikido was this site and especially the spiritual side.

how feel you? =p