Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2003, 10:14 AM   #1
Steven Tame
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai /North London Aikido Dojo
care of hakama and how to wear it.

I brought a hakama the other day and I have a few questions about hakama's

1/I tried to search on the net but I couldn't find information on how to tie the hakama. I found only general hakama information which they didn't tie the belt just folded one side 4-5 times and the wrapped the other side around in a cross shape. I can see this is not the way people fasten a hakama in Aikido,probably cos it would come undone when you take ukemi.....

I would ask at my dojo but the rules are women from san-kyu and men from sho-dan. However I'd like to wear my Hakama outside of my Japan dojo and maybe when I go back to England.

2/How do you clean the hakama,I heard you are not supposed to wash it... maybe it means machine wash...

In any case how do you hang up the hakama to air it so you don't mess up the folds?

3/How long is the hakama supposed to be? If it touches the floor it is too long,right?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #2
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Re: care of hakama and how to wear it.

Quote:
Steven Tame wrote:
<snip>

2/How do you clean the hakama,I heard you are not supposed to wash it... maybe it means machine wash...

In any case how do you hang up the hakama to air it so you don't mess up the folds?
I use a lint brush / sticky tape and dry cleaning. It costs a little extra for them to handle the pleats, but it's worth it. All-cotton hakama could be washed, but I wouldn't recommend it, you'll lose pleats quickly.

Get a hangar with the alligator clips on it like the department or clothing stores use. That way, you can bring the front of the hakama flush with the koshita and secure with the clips. Again, worry about the pleats because they will fall out over time.

One way to deal with the pleats (very helpful with cotton) is to topstitch them. I did this on my old hakama, where you make a perfect pleat, then use strong black thread in a sewing machine and stitch the VERY EDGE of the pleat. I know, it's cheating, but I didn't take care of my old hakama.
Quote:
3/How long is the hakama supposed to be? If it touches the floor it is too long,right?
I think so, you are in danger of tripping, especially if the whole thing slides down over the course of wearing it. I had my hakama custom-made so it glides evenly _just_ above my foot, below my ankle. It is the best fit I've ever had, I enjoy it a lot.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 09-14-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Steven Tame
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai /North London Aikido Dojo
Re: Re: care of hakama and how to wear it.

Quote:
Phillip Johnson (PhilJ) wrote:
I think so, you are in danger of tripping, especially if the whole thing slides down over the course of wearing it. I had my hakama custom-made so it glides evenly _just_ above my foot, below my ankle. It is the best fit I've ever had, I enjoy it a lot.
Yeah gonna have to attempt to exchange it tomorrow... the size I was sold was not correct I got a #26 when I needed a #24. What a nuisance,this is gonna be fun trying to explain this in Japanese....

Thanks for the washing/care info
Old 09-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
akiy

Here's information from Bujin Design on one way to tie (and fold) your hakama.

http://www.bujindesign.com/use_hakama.html

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:21 PM   #5
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Say Jun........Any other ways to fold and tie that you could share with me? (off the thread I know)

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:52 AM   #6
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Learn to fold the hakama properly if you want to keep the pleats. Hanging doesn't help.

I cold wash mine without scrubbing (sort of rinse by dipping) and hang it to dry. But a brush for the lint would be really useful.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.