Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Jedi
United_States
Re: I give up, time for a home dojo

Quote:
rachmass wrote: View Post
I have been out of the loop for the past 2 years, as I moved out to the hinterlands, a good hour away from the dojo where I normally practice. While I have managed to make it there occasionally, due to job and family constraints it has not been feasible to make it there even a couple of times a month. I am very frustrated to say the least.

So, my husband made the offer to practice with me at home. He's practiced only for a couple of years on and off, but is a good egg and willing to try. We don't exactly have the best space in the world for this, but do have a loft area in our house that measures about 14 x 14 and we have talked about putting mats down on the whole space and converting it into a home dojo for the two of us. Has anyone had experience having a place to practice in their own home, with limited training partners (we might be able to get friends out once in awhile)? If you have, how have you practiced?

At this point, just doing gentle pins is good (husband has bad knee, I no longer have an operational ACL brace and tore that ligament years ago so it is weak and the brace was a good source of stability). So, we can do a lot of basics without vigorous ukemi, but there is just the two of us. I would love to hear recommendations from anyone who has faced being in a place that practice at a dojo was just a bit logistically difficult and tried to do this from their home.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Rachel:

I and my wife Karen have been practicing aikido and Roppokai in our garage dojo (9 Swain mats) once or twice a week for almost 4 years. We have also had Roppokai workshops 2 or 3 times a year (between 4 and 8 participants at a time). For safety reasons, we don't have two pairs throwing at the same time. Basic suwariwaza and non-throwing techniques work fine.

We don't teach at our dojo (though a weekly Roppokai study group meets at our place), as we teach aikido at a separate nearby dojo. Best part about a home dojo is that it is right there, you don't have to travel in rush hour traffic, and you can suit the training to the way you prefer - we sometimes like to sit in zazen before practice. It is good to have some experience before going out on your own like this, so one doesn't distort the techniques too much. Difficult part is it requires self-discipline - if you don't have any outside dojo to teach or train at, it requires self-discipline to even drag yourself to the garage.

One other thing is doing weapons work is harder - especially jo and iaido-type work unless you are mindful of short ceilings (our problem).

Overall, a very good experience. If you and your husband wish to do it, go for it - it is a good way to also work on skills that one is weak at, and patiently study techniques with an understanding partner - sometimes that may not happen in a dojo setting - we got an extra gymnastic mat so my wife could practice koshi nages on me for her nidan test!! We actually felt just two people training together has provided us many insights into techniques, and lack of partners was not a problem - again, supplement it with some outside training to refine waza, and to play with other body types.

Best regards and good luck

Jaideep Mukherjee, Ph. D.
Sensei, Yuwakan.com
Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #27
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Re: I give up, time for a home dojo

Quote:
Rachel Massey wrote: View Post
We just have to put up a dog gate at the top of the loft so no dogs come up.
Dogs = Training partners

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/