Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Does aikido contain any physical principles not present in any other budo?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 25, 2006:

Does aikido contain any physical principles not present in any other budo?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Poll: Does aikido contain any physical principles not present in any other budo?

Jun, aren't you the one who asked, "How long is a string?"

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
akiy

Re: Poll: Does aikido contain any physical principles not present in any other budo?

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Jun, aren't you the one who asked, "How long is a string?"
I plead the fifth.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Kent Enfield

United_States

I'm curious what principle the people who voted "Yes" find is not in other budo.

Kentokuseisei
Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Aikido teaches turning, and turning, and turning. This turning becomes a return. Where does this turning take place? In you. You must stop fighting and learn to turn the fight into something else.. You cannot exhaust aikido.You cannot run out of it. Cover your openings and learn to face your death. I do not think the other arts teach this principle.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Aikido teaches turning, and turning, and turning. This turning becomes a return. Where does this turning take place? In you. You must stop fighting and learn to turn the fight into something else.. You cannot exhaust aikido.You cannot run out of it. Cover your openings and learn to face your death. I do not think the other arts teach this principle.
Which have you studied?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Charles Cunningham
Dojo: University of Iowa Aikikai, Iowa City, IA
United_States

I don't understand how anyone could be in a position to authoritatively answer "yes" to this question, since an affirmative answer presupposes a thorough understanding the principles behind each and every budo.

Charles
Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
Jonathan Han

Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I've been studying bagua (a Chinese internal martial art). It is all about turning and circles, both external and internal. I think Aikido could incorporate a few turning tricks that works better and saves our knees from potential damage. I don't think Aikido contains physical principles not present in other martial arts. Nor does it lack anything present in other martial arts (at least the arts I've been exposed to). But since the question said "budo" are we limiting the comparison to just a few Japanese styles?

Last edited by Jonathan Han : 06-25-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Charles Cunningham wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could be in a position to authoritatively answer "yes" to this question, since an affirmative answer presupposes a thorough understanding the principles behind each and every budo.

Charles
My thoughts, too.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 06-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Han wrote:
But since the question said "budo" are we limiting the comparison to just a few Japanese styles?
I don't think so...just as I think a topic about "neko" could include anything cat-like.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I put "no" because while I do think Aikido is unique when taken on the whole, I don't think the specifics are entirely unique, particularly the physical aspects.
Off the top of my head: connecting, rotating, entering, blending, balance/unbalancing, whole-body integration, leading, timing, efficiency...all of these things (and I'm sure any I may not have considered) are found elsewhere to some degree or another.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Mark Uttech

another puzzling poll... I answered 'yes' because the majority of the popular martial arts put you in a cage, and I didn't want to go in there.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
another puzzling poll... I answered 'yes' because the majority of the popular martial arts put you in a cage, and I didn't want to go in there.
Yep...totally in agreement with you, on this one.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

I answered 'No'.

All martial arts are based on the human body. There are no secret techniques, no hidden principles, no magic - just ourselves and the world around us to discover. Aikido is not 'special' in and of itself,
only in that it points us to the sublime truth - which is life.

david
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
dps

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
only in that it points us to the sublime truth - which is life.
Yes, life can be very sublimy.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

No.

Jonathon Han: You studying bua gua with Bob Galeone by chance?

Back years ago he worked on foot work and weight shifting a great deal with us when he ran the dojo.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

I just visited a siminar last weekend.
We did not perform a lot of techniques but were told (again) about aikdo principles
Some like "stay protected", "move calmly", "do not try to survive, but just do the best you can, as you know, you must die", "keep your body straight ", "keep your mind in the hara", and a lot more.

At the end sensei said: "I did not give them numbers, because in fact they are all the same and one principle 'kokyu'."

Now if kokyu is the only principle of aikido, it is the principle of most budo segments. If kokyu is not the principle of a martial art, it is not budo.

In short words: my answer is no.

I usually don't like joining the majority, but if they are right, I have no choice

Dirk
Old 06-27-2006, 05:22 AM   #18
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

I have to go along with Mark and Neil on this one. Although the question asks specifically about 'physical' principles, not psychological or philosophical. Surely the the aim of protecting your assailant from harm puts aikido at odds with the majority of martial arts out there?

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
billybob

United_States

Mark Freeman said
Quote:
Surely the the aim of protecting your assailant from harm puts aikido at odds with the majority of martial arts out there?
Maybe it is out of self interest. Even the thug who likes watching fallen enemies bleed out knows that he will go to jail if caught.

Someone I know once said of a poor person who walked by "Wouldn't waste a bullet on him."

We don't hang out too much anymore.

dave
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Just a reminder:
The question was "not present in any other budo". It is not ask about the majority. So if you think, you can find ONE budo discipline, teaching the same principle - maybe in a different way, the answer should be "NO".

And cage fight is NOT budo. There is no DO and 'though they are fighting seriously, it is more for entertainment, than 'martial' or 'protective', however you interprete BU.

Dirk
Old 06-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #21
dps

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
Surely the the aim of protecting your assailant from harm puts aikido at odds with the majority of martial arts out there?Mark
On the other hand the primary aim of Aikido is to protect yourself against your assailant which is the goal of all martial arts.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #22
Mark Uttech

I disagree again. The primary aim is not protecting yourself. Defending yourself by instinct is a primary natural indulgence. Chimpanzees do it. Other animals do it. Other martial artists do it.
But an aikidoka is a missionary. Everything becomes part of the practice. Takemusu Aiki, and so forth and so on. Aikido continually returns to the question: "Now what?"
Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #23
billybob

United_States

Mark Uttech said
Quote:
I disagree again. The primary aim is not protecting yourself. Defending yourself by instinct is a primary natural indulgence. Chimpanzees do it. Other animals do it. Other martial artists do it.
But an aikidoka is a missionary. Everything becomes part of the practice. Takemusu Aiki, and so forth and so on. Aikido continually returns to the question: "Now what?"
Mark, please define 'self'.

david
Old 06-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #24
dps

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
The primary aim is not protecting yourself.
Would you let your assailant beat you in order to protect him?

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #25
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
On the other hand the primary aim of Aikido is to protect yourself against your assailant which is the goal of all martial arts.
I believe the 'primary' aim of aikido is not self protection, but a practice to achieve harmony with ki/lifeforce/universal energy, inherent in the name ai-ki-do Self protection is a by-product of the practice.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.