Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #26
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Solo Aiki Conditioning and Other Exercise

Quote:
Jon Haas wrote: View Post
A question I have been thinking about since Dan's seminar last weekend is how do you integrate the Aiki solo conditioning exercises with other types of exercise, or do you? Now, I know Dan has gone on record multiple times here on Aikiweb stating that body-building type weight lifting does not mix with Aiki. No problem there. What about yoga or Systema conditioning work or suburi or kettlebell lifting? Can they successfully be incorporated into this type of training or will they have a negative effect on the goal of building Aiki in the body?

Thanks,

Jon Haas
Hi Jon, it was good working with you at Dan's seminar (I believe we were paired up a bit on Sunday)

Anyway, what we have done at my group is to incorporate Dan's solo and paired exercises into what we were already doing at the beginning of each training session. Essentially, we take the first 1/3 of our session and work on internal skills development exercises that we have picked up from the Ki Society and my visits with Mike S and Dan - nice thing about the mix is that none of the stuff conflicts with the other - they all have the same objective and tend to compliment each other from different perspectives and at different levels, etc.

Right now we are focusing on developing the basic body structure as presented by Dan and will move onto the other solo and paired exercises once we all have a good grasp on that - as Mark M mentioned in an early post, I also think it is important to establish that 'firm' foundation and then build onto it from there.

After IS training, we then move onto waza training and our focus there is to explore how the IS stuff applies to the waza execution.

Since Mark Murray and I are within a reasonable commute of each other, we too have been talking about getting together to further work on the IS skills presented by Dan.

Greg
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #27
MM
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Hi Jon, it was good working with you at Dan's seminar (I believe we were paired up a bit on Sunday)

Anyway, what we have done at my group is to incorporate Dan's solo and paired exercises into what we were already doing at the beginning of each training session. Essentially, we take the first 1/3 of our session and work on internal skills development exercises that we have picked up from the Ki Society and my visits with Mike S and Dan - nice thing about the mix is that none of the stuff conflicts with the other - they all have the same objective and tend to compliment each other from different perspectives and at different levels, etc.

Right now we are focusing on developing the basic body structure as presented by Dan and will move onto the other solo and paired exercises once we all have a good grasp on that - as Mark M mentioned in an early post, I also think it is important to establish that 'firm' foundation and then build onto it from there.

After IS training, we then move onto waza training and our focus there is to explore how the IS stuff applies to the waza execution.

Since Mark Murray and I are within a reasonable commute of each other, we too have been talking about getting together to further work on the IS skills presented by Dan.

Greg
Greg,
Definitely will have to get together. Since Jon is in NJ, maybe he can make a trip out, too? It can't be that far.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #28
DH
United_States

Or see if you can get a small group together and I'll come out. I have every intention of supporting this effort on a national scale. I think it best if we try and keep it small and focused to keep it moving forward with the teachers who came.

I am considering another one here for Nov. -which will be more of an intensive, now that the intro stuff is out of the way.

Greg,
As you found out; the ki society, DR aiki, and internal training are an easy fit for Aikido and it can join the weapons work as well... this in stark contrast to all the political nonsense to the contrary, and certain outsiders -rather ill-formed- opinions-they are in fact all brothers in the use of internal skills to create aiki.

I am so pleased that we got teachers talking and training with other teachers and students crossing barriers as well with teachers from other styles. I'm going to write about that on the seminar thread.

In the face of the public criticism by a few, we managed to create yet another venue for teachers to cross-lines and see what's out there. We created such a neutral environment that the work became the focus and then, lo and behold- you guys and gals, from the local teachers to the ones who came from across the nation- were the ones who made it all possible to succeed in bringing it into aikido dojos.
Cheers
Dan
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
As you found out; the ki society, DR aiki, and internal training are an easy fit for Aikido and it can join the weapons work as well... this in stark contrast to all the political nonsense to the contrary, and certain outsiders -rather ill-formed- opinions-they are in fact all brothers in the use of internal skills to create aiki.
ARCHIVE

You don't see any potential conflicts, Dan?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Greg,
Definitely will have to get together. Since Jon is in NJ, maybe he can make a trip out, too? It can't be that far.
Good point - as we discussed in a PM, I just sent Jon a PM and invite to our get together.

Greg
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Or see if you can get a small group together and I'll come out.
Dan,

As you can see from my last post, Mark and I are planning a get together in early December and I have just reached out to Jon to join us. I don't know what you consider a small group, but you are obviously most welcome to join us since our focus will be your stuff - I just don't know if I can afford all the extra beer if you show up Anyway, drop me a PM if you want to discuss.

Thanks

Greg
Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #32
DH
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Dan,

As you can see from my last post, Mark and I are planning a get together in early December and I have just reached out to Jon to join us. I don't know what you consider a small group, but you are obviously most welcome to join us since our focus will be your stuff - I just don't know if I can afford all the extra beer if you show up Anyway, drop me a PM if you want to discuss.

Thanks

Greg
Will do. I'd like to contact the seminar list privately and see if more can come. Sort of a local follow up, well heck most of them read here anyway.
Would that be okay with you guys?
Let's take it to PM
Dan
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Will do. I'd like to contact the seminar list privately and see if more can come. Sort of a local follow up, well heck most of them read here anyway.
Would that be okay with you guys?
Let's take it to PM
Dan
I am OK with it - I have a small informal venue (double car garage space) but we could handle it for this type of training - talk more in the PM.

Greg